Fiona the run-away

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fiona the run-away

Post by WildThings »

She did make sure her momma came with her, but over the weekend my mom, dad and I went out the front door to look at some paint colors my parents were considering for the house. Fiona thought I was leaving, so barrled out the door with us. Fiona has no recall, does not know front yard boundaries...she always has to be on a leash. She ran down to the front of the yard, then turned around to see if I was coming. Usually, if I get out of her sight, she will come looking for me. So I walked around the house out of her view, but no, she just stood where she was in the yard. Went back out and called for her, tried to get her to chase me, tried to convince her we were going in the car...nothing worked. So I started towards her and that of course made her head down the street. It took two blocks, her crossing a road with fairly consistant traffic and almost crossed another before I finally caught her. She never ran, but made sure she stayed at least ten feet from me the whole time. I can imagine how stupid we looked slowly walking down the street, me begging her to come back. Couldn't let even the slightest hint of irratation creep into my voice, because it would scare her. Fortunately, she remembered that she is supposed to sit at the streets so sat at both intersections before crossing, making it so I could actually catch her at the second intersection.

It wasn't funny while following her down the street, but once she was caught, I did find it funny that despite the fact that she was not being a good dog running away from home, she did remember that dogs must sit at street corners.

We have been working on some other training stuff with her lately, recall may need to get moved to the top of the list.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fiona the run-away

Post by jacqui »

thats very scary.thank God you caught up with her.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

What a good girl for sitting at the corner. If that was Holden he would have been running for the hills! And my neighbors would have said "There she goes again!" as they saw me chasing after him #-o
ImageImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I can just see her sitting at the corners :lol: :lol: Good Girl Fiona!!! I know you must have been hysterical.......I live by a busy Hwy and thats my worst fear. Kearra got out once and headed for the street, I opened the car door and said OK KEARRA LETS GO!!!! And much to my total surprise she turned around, came back and actually jumped in :shock: :shock: That was the ONLY times she has ever jumped in by herself on her own :shock: I was very relieved and know for a fact if I would have made one step towards her she would have been down the road with me chasing behind. Smart lil' buggers!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

WildThings wrote: I did find it funny that despite the fact that she was not being a good dog running away from home, she did remember that dogs must sit at street corners.
That is so funny. That cracked me up. What a good girl Fiona. :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

What's up with these run-away chow girls?? They need to be out on the town. I am happy you caught her, I am sure you were quite the site doing the slow creepy walk!!! Ya know like how in horror movies the bad guy always walks slow and catches the victim. LOL. Glad she remembered her manners!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

LoL, It was like she was playing a game with you. Good thing nothing worse happened. I know how terrified I get when Leroy escapes. He knows no boundaries as well. So cute that she remembered what she was suppose to do....good for her
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

O'my gosh!

One day when Henry tried his luck a guy shouted at me to lay down (he said he'd watch the dog) I lay down and Henry came stright over to see what was wrong.

Now I just ask if he wants to go in the car - I always take him for a ride so he doens't feel tricked, even if it makes me late for work :roll:

'Sorry I'm late, I had to take Henry for a ride in the car because he escaped...... :roll: '
Thank you Sweatpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Oh Fiona, you are naughty and nice all in one, but don't scare your mommy again, OK.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ugh - my biggest nightmare.

Mine would just keep going and probably not even remember their manners.

Fiona was such a good girl to remember.

We pratice recall every day - but when I really need it, they don't seem to remember~!!!
Mia
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hi Fiona, Lily here! First, congrats on your escape...what took you so long? I find if you escape every now and then, it makes them appreciate you more when you do what the want every now and again. There is an art to escaping, and you mastered the first lesson- never go alone! If you are slow enough, the bi-peds will follow you like...like...a faithful dog! There are a couple otherthings that are good to try. Let me walk you through wednesday, or as mum calls it, Black Wednesday.

It started normal enough. My tummy was a little upset because mum is playing with our diet. Pip did worse than me, and poo'd in the kitchen, and on a floral rug in the living room by the front door. It was not good (for Pip, then mum) When mum got home from her extra long work day, she spotted the kitchen poo right off. When she went to the living room, she did not see the poo, but she did see alot of my hair and Pip's on the rug (I am fighting hotspots, another tribulation I must endure). Anyhoo, mum decided to vacuum the hair. The good news is she does the floral rug at the end...the bad news...she does the rug. There was poo all over the bottom of the vacuum. None made in into the filtering system, but it was a total teardown and clean out. After that little chore, mum was tired, and took a nap, which she tries to avoid. Something about up all night, and 4:20 am alarm. whatever.

She woke up very late. It was 11:30 PM, what ever that means. She put on her jammies, and thought she would put us out one last time (no doubt remembering Pip's upset tumtum). So there I am, doing my bizness when suddenly, the clasp broke frr where it swivels! I remember that mum had a hard day, so I stuck around. Then, she found out I was lose. She said a bad word, then called me (with hope in her voice). I stayed hidden in the tall grass...another curse word...mum can swear like a sailor on leave! She came out again, this time in clothes, and with my girl. Girl spotted me, but I did the golden rule: stay one step ahead, as they will put a leash unto you. I thought to myself, I bet mum could use some exercise to get tuckered out for bed! I ran in and out of the tall grass, across the street, back across, repeat, then, it happened. I ran through briars. Then I thought to myself, mum is old and out of shape, prehaps something more meditative, like removing briars, will be more sleep enducing...so I let girl catch me! I was wrong about the meditative effects of burr removal. Mum was VERY worked up when she was removing mine! She really needs to find her Chi, that one does...so angry! So, there you go, you see your bipeds are having problems, and you try and help them, and they repay you with rough comb-outs!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

:laughloud: :laughloud: OMG!!! Audry your killin' me, girl!!! Got tears rollin' here!!!! I know its not funny, but you sure can tell a story!!!
Lily, how could you???? #-o Your tired Mom......and burrr's too :shock:

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Auddymay that is truely a great story!!! I can't stop laughing, oh the indignity of it all!!! =;
SweetPea Rocks!!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Oh how do I feel your pain!!
Gabbana used to escape on regular basis (and we don't do the sit at intersections thing well), once she bludozed me out of the car in a strange parking lot and ran around and then across a busy street, good thing red light was in the busy direction and she got away unharmed. But i almost died! If the recall thing works for you, let me know... i'm stll trying. We only listen when we are on a leash.. when it's escape time nothing in the world matters. Now i got smarter.. everything is escape proof.. everyone that comes to the house must take escape prevention class and everyone listens because noone wants to chase her down the street. We also learned to sit and stay at the door as told.

Best of luck haha

PS Auddymay, Lily was just trying to help... how are you supposed to go to sleep if you just had a long nap??
ImageImage
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

I have whistle trained CC. Of course she is a mix and it may be that she is less chowish than a PB. I did the whistle-treat, whistle-treat over and over in the house then on her retractable leash before I tried off leash. She has very reliable recall with the whistle. She has slipped her collar a couple of times when she was very excited but came right to me as if to say-oops--I dont have my collar on--LOL