Need kind, gentle, AZ to DE transport for shy, sweet Chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need kind, gentle, AZ to DE transport for shy, sweet Chow

Post by kiyap »

I am moving from Phoenix to Northern Delaware in mid July and need to get our beloved Chow mix across the country. I am a single mother with two small children and can't drive across the country, and it's too hot to put her on a plane. She's an adult, spayed female, very gentle, housebroken, walks on leash, great with kids, submissive with other dogs, don't know about cats. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get her across? I wouldn't trust just anyone with her, we love her so much and my little girls would be heartbroken if anything happened to her. She was a rescue who came to us about 2 years ago and won our hearts. She is timid with strangers but NEVER aggressive. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Kathy Bowers
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Where in Arizona is she located?

Post by Guest »

We currently live in North Phoenix.
kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiyap »

I forgot to log in first! We live in North Phoenix but would be willing to drive her to another part of Arizona if necessary to find her a ride.
Kathy Bowers
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I cross-posted your thread to the general discussion list so more members are aware of your need. I don't have any resources to offer, but I have suggestions in case you haven't thought of these angles yet.

* Have you tried finding a college student who lives there and either will be going or goes to an east coast college?

* Hire a friend your chow mix trusts to do the trip.

* If you have a car that has to be transported to the east, perhaps a friend or a family member can drive it with your chow mix to your new home.

* Look into a local chow rescue and perhaps if you pay their transport fee or give a hearty donation, they can organize a group for you.

Good luck!
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Kiyap,

I have a brother who lives in Arizona City, Arizona he usually schedules a vacation back to Virginia around that time and he usually drives. He is not the best canidate for such a transport, he has never owned a pet much less a chow however I will touch base with him to see if he would be intersted/available to help out. I'll let you know.
kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiyap »

VT CHOW,

I appreciate your sincere interest in helping. I'd be very reluctant to use someone who never owned a pet though. She's timid around strangers, especially men, perhaps from her days before rescue. If he's not a "dog person", I'd better wait for other options.

Thanks again.

Kathy
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They are flying dogs around all the time I don't think where ever it is they put them on a plane can be that hot plus it dosn't get any hoter then Arizona so once they take off it has to get cooler but I think transported pets are kept comfortable. You should look into flying your Chow and see what they have to say, I don't think the ticket is that much. I would either get in touch with a rescue group and see if they can help or fly him. A stranger transporting him I don't know about that one. How are you getting back east?

If you decide to fly him he will get there way before you so you need to have someone pick him up.
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Kiyap,

I totally understand your concern. Good luck in your search.
kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiyap »

You don't know Phoenix! ;-) It's 9:00 am now and 91 degrees. The high today is forecast as 107.

The airlines specifically restrict transport of animals when the temperature on the tarmac is above a certain temperature, and at this time of year, it's always above 90 before 10 am. Midday outside can be as much as 110-120. A dog in a crate sitting on a baggage cart on the tarmac for half an hour could die. Even if they didn't restrict it, I wouldn't do it.

I wish it were winter, I could consider it, but summer is out of the question.
kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

More on our girl Keri

Post by kiyap »

We were planning to fly because I'm a single mother with two small girls. I just don't think it's safe to drive across country alone with them. I've done it alone, and I'm not concerned about me, but the three of us are pretty vulnerable. Even walking in a parking lot at night, it's pretty hard for one adult to protect herself and two little girls, not to mention having a dog on leash. Our Chow is pretty docile, and although she would bark at people, she isn't very intimidating.

My girls are much too young to fly alone, so that idea is out as well. I know the airlines do it, but they would be terrified.

At this point our only option appears to be to fly a friend out from Delaware to drive with us. That means four people and a dog in a small car - and driving cross country with a 4 and a 7 year old is not something I am looking forward to. The are sweet girls - but it's a very long time to ask any child that young to sit still. If nothing else comes up, I'll just have to stock up on lots of new dog and horse videos - thank God for the DVD player!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't know Airlines had restrictions when it was hot probably because I hate flying and never do it. I do know how hot it gets there, I was stationed in the Air Force just outside of Phoenix (Luke AFB) I remember being able to watch the shoe polish melt off my shoes and you actually can fry an egg on the sidewalk. I think your last idea is the best, at least you have everyone together. I don't know how your Chow is but mine would sleep all the way, just make sure he is on a leash everytime you stop and don't let him out of your sight. Let us all know how it all went when your settled in.

If you all looked at the trip as a vacation and not a moving trip it might be less stressful.

Post by Guest »

I believe there are companies that will transport pets by ground transportation. I have never used them, but you might give it a try. I searched google and found the following, try contacting them to see if they offer what you are looking for.

http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/index.php
http://www.pettransporter.com/
http://www.lntpettransport.com/

Hope this helps.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Oops, that was me that posted the links.

Post by Guest »

Sorry about all the issues...I know moving is stressful enough without all the added problems. VTChow mentioned her brother making the trip - why not convoy with him so he can keep an eye on you three ladies and your friend wouldn't have to make the trip.
I'd be willing to transport a few hundred miles, but think South Texas is out of the way for your journey.
Good luck!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I forgot to log in too. I'm the South Texas transport offer.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
kiyap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looks like I may have a solution!

Post by kiyap »

I found a couple who lives in Phoenix through Chow Rescue of MN. The husband drives truck over the road and transports rescue dogs along his route from time to time. I will meet them sometime this week and with luck, we'll be able to work out a schedule for them to help out with Keri.

I feel really good about this. It's a family with four dogs of their own, all rescues, so I know they are dog lovers, and the husband often takes at least one of his dogs on the road with him for company.

HURRAY!

Thank you all so much for the feedback and support.