Chowy things that your Chows do

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Chowy things that your Chows do

Post by LEO's mum »

I was reading the post about Titus playing footie. My LEO would have one ball or a plush toy in her mouth and kick around another ball with her front paws, too. There are many "Chowy" things one can think of... like a chow rug positon, ie plopping down on the floor like a frog, feet back. LEO also towels her mouth after meals, or carpets :roll: #-o
So, there you go. I've got three to start the list.

:mrgreen: Play footie
:mrgreen: Becomes a Chow Rug
:mrgreen: Towels her mouth after meals

What Chowy things do your Chows do????
Last edited by LEO's mum on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chowy things that your Chows do

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

When I give Holden a Busy Bone he will take it oh so gently and then just walk around the house with it in his mouth. Sometimes he whines when he does this. And then he usually won't eat the bone, he'll leave it on the floor somewhere after he gets tired of carrying it around. (Hannah then devours it when she finds it)
ImageImageImage
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Chi Chi uses the corners of the coffee table for rubbing her face on.
Koysta likes to play catch the slipper with the foot in it.
Tira is a love rug, sits on your feet and wants to kiss you all the time.
Quoncha leads you around by grabbing your jeans/skirt or any piece of clothing she can get hold off, mind you never rips the clothing. But sometimes she grabs the skin by accident. :roll:
Quoncha, Tiara and Kostya all lay like frogs as well.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

when I'm walking Kai and he sees a long row of bushes he leans into the bushes and scratches himself all the way to the end.my Tiko also did that !
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Here's another:

Holden will only eat at night

Hannah always does this little head flip when she gets excited about something. It almost looks like she's trying to flip her hair.
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie likes to watch out of windows... from her fav spot on the sofa. Always has done, since she was a little puppy

Alf is a chow chow rug!

They both love to chase bugs :D
Thank you Elodie!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Awww! Layla, That picture of Alf is just too cute. lol.

Tippsy won't go out in the grass if it's even slightly damp.And she does #2 in the same spot EVERY time.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Layla, are you sure Alf is not a bear or closely related to one? My LEO extends lengthways but not sideways.
You might want to get him tested for Bear genes in him! :mrgreen:

LEO is also a "watcher". Her idea of a walk is a series of rests. Happy just to watch the world go by.... :wall: I'm fearing the GL/Easy Walker Harness won't help her back on to her feet. I might need to attach a lift strap on her back..... :wall: :wall: :wall:

LEO also contemplates very hard where to enter the lawn from sidewalks. ALWAYS... /:)
Cinders mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cinders mom »

Cinders will NOT poop or pee on "her property" she wants to go down the street and hide behind some bushes to do her "business". She also wipes her mouth on the couch after eating. She only wags her tail if she is really, really happy. She can be sound asleep, but she can hear the carton of ice cream being opened. Loves to "bat" at you with her paws. If she has a "raw hide" bone laying around the house, when we go for a walk she will want to "take it with her" on her walks. Chows.....got to love them!
Susan Gambini
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe lays with her left front paw tucked and her right rear leg extended straight back...always! She sleeps on her side and snores as bad as hubby! She is also queen of the back leg take down maneuver, has very selective hearing, wags her tail VERY rarely (i got a slight wag after being at the beach for 4 days :roll: ), and has the more aloof attitude. Queen of the house she is. She doesn't mind pets from strangers, trips to the groomers or the vet. Let's me do anything to her. Hates all the neighbor dogs. Is ALWAYS dirty.

Shuggy didn't get his chow manual. He is a total love bug and mamma's boy, always picks up a toy when I come home even though he just wants lovin not play, his tail never stops wagging, sleeps on the AC vent most of the time, follows me everywhere and couldn't be more sweet. He doesn't like pets from strangers much, hates the vet with a passion since the ear infection, and I don't even take him to the groomers because I don't know how he will act. :shock: He hates towels (nope not wiping my paws off), his ears messed with, and getting his monthly flea treatment on him is a battle.

Very strange critters I have. :lol:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

LEO's mum wrote:Layla, are you sure Alf is not a bear or closely related to one? My LEO extends lengthways but not sideways.
You might want to get him tested for Bear genes in him! :mrgreen:
I was asked onthe ferry the other day if I had bears or dogs in the Jeep :shock: :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

OMG! Alf just put a big smile on my face. Kona has always had hip problems so I don't think his hind legs could both be bent back like that.

Stormy and Kona both sleep on the floor air vents. No beds for them just the nice cool floor :)

Shelly
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Xhena does the "Chow rug" thing too. When she's really excited (e.g. when I come home) rather than wagging her tail, she folds her ears back and runs round in circles - she looks so strange when she's got no ears, but she's always done it. When she's given a favourite treat she has to do her "food dance" then play with it before she can eat it. She generally collapses with her front end, her face squished against the floor and her butt in the air and will bounce around the food for maybe 5mins, batting it with her paw. She then gets up and throws it around, chasing after it, picking it up and throwing it again. After around 10mins, she finally eats it :roll: :lol: She loves to watch out the window, and will sit and toss her head around when she decides it's time to go for a walk. She also won't bark at people or other dogs, instead she does a strange kind of snort.

Yes, she has plenty of odd quirks, but all the more reason to love her :wink:
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

lol@Alf the bear rug. Too cute!
Xhena..Shug here...I used to do the happy treat dance like you (that's what mom calls it here) until I got a sister. Now I have to scarf down my treats quick before she gets them. Sometimes though when sis is outside I still get to do it and mom just loves it!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwwwww Alf :inlove: I want a rug like that one :mrgreen:
ZOOMIE, ZOOMIE, ZOOMIES!!! Come here Kearra :shock: as she runs into the yard, Come on Kearra!!! Would you come here??? Nevermind then #-o
Kearra also rubs my legs like a cat and then leans into them for more pettin' IF shes in the mood of course
Touch Me Touch Me Not, they will decide thank you
Sit, Shake, Speak????? Did someone say cheese???? OK I'll do anything for cheese \:D/

Thanks Sweetpea!
Piju'smommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piju'smommy »

New member here. I'm mommy to a 14.5 year-old black chow named Piju. Piju is quite the character and definitely a creature of habit.

He's willing to "hold it" for however long it takes so he can go in the same spot every time.
He's a boy but he doesn't lift his leg, he squats to pee.
He hates drive-thru windows and toll-takers. (Thank god for Easy-Pass!)
He will do anything for cheese
He likes his water with ice in it
He wiggles his tail when you say "Are you my baby?" and when you come home, but no other time.
He doesn't jump, he hops. Only his front legs come off the floor
He leads you around by your shirt tail
He leans on you if he wants loving.
He doesn't like to kiss boys, only girls
He loves to lick his stuffed animals
He carries around rawhide rolls in his mouth like cigars
He's nosy to the point of interrupting you in the bathroom, just so he knows what you're doing
If you close the door with him in the bedroom at night, he'll sleep with his legs against it
He has a hard time deciding between gaurding us and eating his ice cream when we go out for a treat. He growls while he licks.
Oh yea, and he also HATES the rain. He looks at you like-"I have to go out there? Are you kidding? No? Okay then I'll hold it." and then tries to walk back upstairs.
Last edited by Piju'smommy on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Bella also becomes a chow rug from time to time.. but I think the funniest way she sleeps is in a contorted version of a chow rug.. and she does this alot.

She also does "the look" alot.. like as to say "Why would I do that?? /:)". This happens alot when I ask her to do something and I don't have a cookie for her in my hand. Getting her to sit when she doesn't think she is going to get rewarded can be quite the challange. haha

And of course, what Chow would be complete without doing ZOOMIES!

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
Piju'smommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piju'smommy »

What are zoomies?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Piju's mommy - go to the top right of the screen and use the "search" function and keyword in zoomie or zoomies. Lots of threads, videos too... enjoy our chow-phrasing!

I wish I had an Alf rug too. For fifteen years, I use to - but it was cream. Unfortunately my current three seem to do the opposite and spread it out for the sun Gods. Just flip the Alf rug over and that would be the visual!

Chowy things include that crazy, inate memory!! If Miss PB is off to catch a fly in the house and she misses, but I get it, I have to show it to her to prove the fly is DOA. Otherwise, she'll keep tracking the path the fly took inside the house. My foster, Bruin, has a blue rubber ball that Tiggy dug up from China the other week and every time we go out to the backyard, he goes straight to where he left the rubber ball last. They also play follow the leader tag quite properly. I'm not sure it is a chowy thing, but it is quite rude, if a towel isn't fresh/clean for them to wipe their mouths off after a nice drink of water, they go to the next best thing, the pant leg or skirt Mommy is wearing (it's the naughty one who is always doing this).
Piju'smommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piju'smommy »

Ah yes. I have heard of the fabled "zoomie" Piju has retired. He couldn't move that fast if he feared for his life. He's actually my StepChow. DH mentioned that he used to zoom when he was a pup though.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly lies like a rug quite often - Mabel does sometimes but not as often.
Milly also turns a front paw under when she lies down.
Mabel is very quick to "doof" us with her front paws if she wants something and if something is in her way, she will just hit it with her paw and knock it out of the way.
They both do zoomies - but not as often as they used to.
They will both twizzle on their noses if necessary for a piece of cheese! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

The list is so long! Here are a few I can think of.

Jasmine is a watcher. She will sit for hours watching out the window.
She has slacked off the zoomies but did them when she was younger. I miss them :(
She will carry a rawhide treat around for a while before devouring it. Sometimes she will try to bury it in the couch, then go back and 'dig' it up before eating it.
She usually only eats at night, unless we have canine company and she is afraid someone else will eat her food. And she chews her food. Even when we dog-sit her 'cousins' she will sit and chew not gulp or swallow whole chunks.
She will sometimes tuck her paws in, and sometimes lay like a carpet or in some other totally odd position, but not all the time like some of your kids do. But she has the sole use of a couch and ends up in some bizarre positions when she rolls off it. She will be hanging head first off the couch, with butt and back legs still on and head on the floor, snoring. I haven't got a pic of that yet. She can be hanging there in a dead sleep, but if I reach for a camera she will become wide awake and plop completely off and walk away.
She also slaps when she wants something, and will continue slapping until I get up and get whatever she needs. And she will use her nose and close my lap top when she wants my attention.
Cheese please! Jaz will also do ANYTHING for a piece of cheese or other special treat. She can even demonstrate that she understands what non-verbal hand signals mean if she will be getting a yummy treat.
~ Sally
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

We've certainly run the proverbial gamut with all of our chows. Our first chowkid, Chia, absolutely hated to get her feet wet and would detour around any and every puddle. She didn't mind going outside in the rain or the snow, but a puddle? Oh, no, wasn't gonna happen... Even after she went blind and multiple surgeries, we'd still go for walks every day (depending upon the weather conditions) and she'd walk proudly along the sidewalk and if she'd encounter a puddle, she'd back up and go around. If she found the puddle to be bigger than she thought, since she couldn't see it, she'd back up and try it again and she'd keep doing that until she finally got around the puddle...

Ming, our boy, was a shelter rescue at just a few weeks of age and ever since then, always has to be touching something: he'll sit on your foot, he only lays up against things, he sleeps in the bed or at least until he gets bored! Plus, he smiles more than any chow I've ever seen...

Tempest, the Diva, does what I refer to as the frog-dog, where she slides down with front feet out in front and back feet out in back. She has "ropey" which is one of those twisted rope things with the fringed ends, and she'll run along and pounce on ropey and toss it into the air and chase it. She also tends to sleep on the balcony over our foyer watching out the huge Palladian window over the double front doors as if she's doing guard duty (while Ming's asleep on the bed...).
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

1. Broken Chow sleep position...front feet go in one direction and there is a twist in the middle , then back feet point the other direction...

2. Poking with the paw. Lily was quite young the first time she poked me in the leg to get my attention. It is very different from Pip, who lays her paw on me. Lily uses the tip of her paw, not the bottom.

3. She also carries treats around in her mouth. Also looks like she is smoking...lol. You know when they do that, it isn't getting eaten.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

:mrgreen: Pawing & Batting: Chows are very pawy. LEO paws or bats for attention, too. Stockings have no chance against her strikes.

:mrgreen: Chews foods & treats: LEO also chews never gulps food or treats.

:mrgreen: Sniffs for Poison: Always sniffs before eating anything. Especially treats from us, always checks for poison. If it's from not her closest servants, she will take it immediately w/ excitement. But she doesn't fully trust the two closest servants she has at home despite their 24/7 total dedication to the Princess.... :roll: :roll:

:mrgreen: Sits side saddle: Sometimes leans against the wall sitting side saddle, too.

:mrgreen: Sighs a lot: Sighs, sighs. She sighs a lot as it is, but when she is made to do something she doesn't want to do, like sit or down or paw, she does it and "huff", sighs to show her discontent. :roll: :roll: :roll:

[-( Would turn her nose up even for Cheese: If she is not in the mood to do something, like "come" or "come inside" or "down" she will turn her nose up for bribes even cheese. [-( [-( #-o #-o #-o