General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chows In Need...Please check!

Post by Roxana »

Hi,
I know this is in the wrong forum, but I know sometimes I forget to check the others and I bet other people forget also.

In the Chow in Need section, they're are 2 chow girls only 4 years old who need to be adopted by the end of the month. They are from the Ontario Chow Rescue, I remember alienangel75 from Quebec saying she was looking for a female.

Please check this out.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have never been able to figure out why the People in the Chows wanted section can't look in the Chows in need section. Can't some of these Chows in need be transported to the people in the Chows wanted section? There are a couple of people in Chows wanted living in Canada. can't those two Chows be sent to a rescue even if its not in Canada?

I just looked at the post,

It looks like they have been rescued, they are insisting the two stay together. Unless i'm missing something.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=6272540
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Basically, those looking want a puppy. For next to nothing. Then there's the guy who wants to rehome his 3 year old because of a new baby...I bite my fingers to stop what I want to say. I mean, type. I only wish I could take in a rescue. Had I been here before I got Lily, I would have got a rescue. Live and learn.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I always say there is never an excuse for giving up a Chow, Dog or any pet unless its death but the one that really bugs me the most is the moving excuse, that has to be the worse with getting a divorse comeing in a close second as the all time heartless reasons. Get rid of the kids first, Keep the Chow.
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

As my discussion with Judy, who is in charge of this case from the Chow Rescure Ontario, it's ok to have them adopted seperately. I also PM one of the girl, who's from Montreal that was looking for a chow and see if she's still interested. But so far, no luck! There's no more foster home available to take both of them in, I did present my offer to do the foster care, but I can only care of one.... :cry:
Purple kisses from Tiger xxxxxx

Karen, Pablo & Tiger
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Too right Jeff!

When we had our first Great Dane, Jenny, she was joined by our third and last child. They were inseparable and I think I have told the story before how our daughter would crawl over to Jenny in her basket, crawl in and go to sleep sucking her thumb with her head on Jenny's rib cage. Jen could get out of the basket so gently and leave the baby fast asleep and she could then get back in so gently, gently and curl up round her. :D

Our daughter grew to be a happy and healthy child, she never had anything wrong with her other than the normal childhood illnesses.

So the new baby story does not hold water - unless the dog is vicious - and if that is the case, the person unloading the dog should tell the truth.

picture below is Jen with our elder daughter about twelve months before our younger daughter was born.

(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I agree whole-hearedtly with you guys, and in a few years when we're finally ready to have kids, we'll be coming to you all for advice on how to make it a happy and positive transition for Special! :wink: I remember specifically asking about kids and chows when we were still fostering Special and getting a lot of positive feedback and support. Why get the dog in the first-place if you have not considered what will happen when the family expands, you have to move, etc? I just don't understand people.

I don't understand the child excuse at all... Special Dark IS our kid!!! :D All we'll be doing is adding a non-fur brother or sister. My husband and I always talk about people neglecting their pets when they have kids. I imagine those are the people who will neglect their first born for their second born. Anyhow, enough ranting on and on about that... (BTW, Judy I just love that story and I've also said I love that photo so much...it just says it all :D ).

Roxana, I do hope they find a nice home. They are beautful!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Oh yeah I forgot about the having a baby excuse, I think I will move that one in the position of tied with 1st place for lamest excuses for getting rid of a pet, What's wrong with these fools don't they think they are ever going to want children when they adopt a dog. So the morel is if People never moved,had kids or got a divorce they could shut down all the shelters and rescues, I think it would be easier just to lock up all the stupid people in the shelters but then we would really have some over crowded Shelters, that would be ok though in that case I would support Euthanizing.
Bobbie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bobbie »

My Chow was my first baby. When we had our daughter we brought home her blanket from the hospital so the smell would not be too unfamiliar. I would not have parted with her for anything and she was always so wonderful with the kids. I am on the looking board, we recently had to put my 14 yo baby down due to tersion (nerver had heard of that before). I have an 8 yo staffordshire and want them to meet, so I have to look local and not think of shipping in case they don't get along.
bobbie
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

I also hate the new baby excuse! Our grandson literaly teethed on our pit bulls ears, and he let him. We have lots of pictures of him chewing on his ears, climbing on him and sharing dogs bones. :D
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Bobbie I used the same methods as you did with the blanket when our little son arrived. Then when we brought him home, we called Odessa and officially introduced her to her "brother". Though she was jealous at first, she quickly picked up coming to tell me whenever the little guy woke up as I did not have a monitor the first few weeks.
And like Sandie said, our son literally used to sit on Odessa's head, still pulls her ears (he is 4 and she is 7) and demands licks (she grudgingly obliges most time). However they love each other and I would never have had it any other way :D
I did have a request from a family member (who is not a dog lover) to "get rid" of "the dog" for at least a year before the baby arrives and we absolutely refused :roll:

Mildred
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Absolutely - that last picture of our elder daughter Carolyn when she was about three was with the very first Great Dane - this next one is of our last Great Dane and the little girl sitting on her is Carolyn-s daughter, Louise. Children get a wonderful childhood with a dog to love! :)
Louise used to just "sit" on Lizzie like she was a stool and Lizzie never used to bat an eyelid. It still amuses our son Anthony who is talking to Louise in the picture when he remembers how Lizzie was. :lol:
She was a beautiful Dane.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Oh yeah I forgot about the having a baby excuse, I think I will move that one in the position of tied with 1st place for lamest excuses for getting rid of a pet, What's wrong with these fools don't they think they are ever going to want children when they adopt a dog. So the morel is if People never moved,had kids or got a divorce they could shut down all the shelters and rescues, I think it would be easier just to lock up all the stupid people in the shelters but then we would really have some over crowded Shelters, that would be ok though in that case I would support Euthanizing.
:lol: :lol: Jeff! I have to agree, though for some reason a few others might object.

I'm of the opinion that every perspective parent SHOULD have a dog first and that every child should be raised with a dog , (barring life threatening allergies and I do mean life threatening, not just little sneezing and such). Of the people I've known in my life the most decent, caring, willing to look outside themselves and be truly compassionate and empathtic have been those who were raised with a pet or two or more.

Being raised with a pet in the house teaches a child to consider another, it also provides absolute unconditional love and provides a non-judgemental companion who will always listen and give comfort.

It seems a pity to me that people wait until a child has become a problem and then a threapist will introduce them to dogs or horses or something. When the parents could have avoided the whole thing with adding one more creature to their family.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

What a great notion Victory. I listen to stories my friends tell of growing up with animals and I feel like I've missed out on so much. My husband and I treasure Special Dark and couldn't imagine life without him. This is how we feel after just 5 months with him!
alienangel75
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow in need

Post by alienangel75 »

Hi,
I am the girl from Montreal that want to have another chow.
I read most of your comments and, of course most people want a younger dog. It's understandable, if your old dog had just passed away, it's a bit tough to have another senior and to lose it in 2-3 years? It makes me feel bad, I don't want to be picky but still... I don't want to get any dog, but a dog that will fit well into my home, and for a long while. Also, it's easier I think to get him to adjust with my 2 cats and my other dog, wich is young and playfull.
Truthfully, I would love to buy a puppy, I don't mind to pay for it (my other chows came from breeders), but I don't want to encourage people to breed their dog anymore, because too many people abandonned their dogs and it breaks my heart. That's why I came to this website, I would like to rescue a dog, to give a dog a second chance. If it wasn't because of allergies, I wouldn't even mind getting another breed. I see countless pitbulls, boxers and retrievers at shelters around here. It makes me cry to see how they've been threated too.
But I'll stick with chows, I'm use to them, I love their character and they don't make me sick.
From my point of view, it seems hard to adopt a dog unless you live near by and you buy it directly at your local shelter! I went in my area few times, they don't have any chows, they rarely have this breed and they don't take requests.
I also contacted several rescue groups by e-mail, and when I saw Bronson and asked if I could do something, no answer. Contacted a guy from connecticut that as a lot of rescued chow in need of a home, he didn't answer either! Some other places won't place dog in homes that can't be inspected by them (wich i think is great that they care enough to do that, even though it blocks me from adopting)

I look pretty much all the time in the chow that needs home section but I didn't know the section here.
Tiger told me about the two girls in Ontario and I contacted them today by e-mail. I can only take one because we have a dog already (you are not allowed to have more than 2 dogs if you are not a breeder in most cities in Quebec). So anyway, just to tell you I am back on looking for a chow after moving into my new house last week, and I explained myself more so I can get some advise from people more experienced in adopting older dogs.
Thanks,
Carolyne
Last edited by alienangel75 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hi all, i know im a little late coming into this thread, but i just couldnt help adding my two cents.
before my husband and i decided to have kids, we were the proud parents of the two most wonderful chows in the world. tanuki and bubba.( my heart still aches when i think of them both). may they rest in peace.
when my first son was born, they used to sit by his cradle and "protect" him. they would wait for us to give the ok, before anyone could go near him.it was the strangest thing. we never taught them to do this.
my son used to chase them around the house with his walker. they loved it, it was a game for them.
what im getting at is, people are so closed minded.
instead of waiting to see what happens, they overreact right away. makes me sick.especiallly with chows. doesnt every chow owner know, that they are the most loyal of any dog breed?? they more than any other breed, should be given the benefit of the doubt, before a child is born!!
just my thought on this subject.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

We had Rogan, Nina and Dasher long before Kelland was even an idea! Once I was pregnant, we prepared for the addition of the baby into our household - not a reshuffle! When we had rescued Dasher, on his paperwork he was described as a 'crib jumper'. So we bought a tent for the crib. Simple solution! We never had an issue. We also felt very strongly to teach our SON manners toward the animals. He knew from a very early age that if he misbehaved toward the dogs then HE would be disciplined.

It's such a simple thing. People just use the 'child' as an excuse not to make it work.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart