what is the possible cause of drop ears in a chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

what is the possible cause of drop ears in a chow

Post by jojasp5 »

I have a question: What causes drop ear in a chow? I've heard that it maybe related to a zinc defiecency. I've also posted on this site about how I could get the ears to become erect. Some replies suggested shaving the ears and, some taping them. Well these all failed. I'm wondering if it may be genetic in origen. :idea: However neither of the dogs parents had drop ears. I'm considering if maybe the parents are carriers for the trait. Anyway my question is what causes it? Is it genetic, environmental, a zinc defiecency, what? I would appreciate any info on this perplexing question.

jojasp5
jojasp5
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: what is the possible cause of drop ears in a chow

Post by Laura »

Do you have a picture of the Chow? Also how old is he/she?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jojasp5 »

Hi, no I don't have any pics. :( I don't know how to post them. :? He's a year old. I'm interested in finding out the cause for this or the mode of transmission. If you have any tips for posting pics I sure would appreciate it and, Thanks! :D
jojasp5
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well no one else has replied so my two cents is that at his age that is just his ears. I don't think there is anything you could or should do about it except love him just as he is. I bet it's adorable! No clue why his ears don't stand up..I would assume something in his genes. Maybe someone else will know.
In the photo gallery section there is a post at the very top about how to post pics. I use Photobucket to do mine just like the info there lists.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My chow Mikki is a pure bred and has drop ears. I don't know the reason, don't know her background. A few times my chow had ear mites and itchy ears. Might be that dirt, moisture gets trapped in the fold. You may want to check your chow's ears once in a while.

As for posting photos, I have used photobucket or uploaded directly by using the 'Upload attachment' feature at the bottom.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy is a purebred with drop ears too. My vet suggests it was from a lack of proper nutrition when a puppy. I just find it endearing, one more unique trait to distinguish him.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

jojasp5 wrote:...no I don't have any pics...
I was waiting for a photo, mostly to see the size of the ears, position/slant, etc. You might consider supplementing the diet with MSM sulfur to see if it can help. There are some archived posts about sulfur's role in helping to synthesize collagen, and maintaining structure in the body.