Renting in Indianapolis

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Renting in Indianapolis

Post by fatima »

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any rental complexes, etc. In the Indianapolis area That allow Chows. It seems that a lot of complexes have the Chow on the aggressive breed list. My family moved from Germany (Army) to Montana a year ago. The problem we ran into here in Montana was a lot of rentals didn't accept dogs. Well we finally got a place to call home where Bear can live peacefully. Now the Army is sending us to Indy, dogs are accepted with open arms minus the ones that are on the aggressive list including Chows.
These are the places where we were looking into living:
Greenwood
Franklin Township
Washington Point
Johnson County

Any info is appreciated!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Renting in Indianapolis

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Just did a Google search and here are a few it came up with:

The Chow Chow thing you'd have to check on, but they say dogs over 50 pounds ok..

http://www.peoplewithpets.com/states/indianapolis.asp
ImageImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

If they say Chows are on the aggressive breed list ask to see a copy of the list. More than likely they can't produce a list. I did that and won the battle. The apt staff ended up loving Bear almost as much as I did. Are you still at your last duty location? Maybe your current landlord will sign a letter stating your Chow caused no damage or problems. Good luck!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

http://www.indianapolis-apartments-for- ... ments.aspx

This one says ANY Breed...

http://www.fountainheadindy.com/fh-index.cfm

Q. Is Fountainhead a pet friendly community?

At Fountainhead we are pet friendly, we allow you any size, or breed of dogs. We accept all household pets. We do provide a lighted dog run for your dogs to enjoy. Additional fees for each pet apply.
ImageImageImage
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

I called a few places and i was told they got there list from the AKC....
I'm calling BS on that!
As for recommendations, I going to talk to his vet, groomer, and our property manager about getting some.
We don't leave Montana until July, but it's never too early to start looking!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Check out that last one... I want to live there with "a lighted dog run for your dogs to enjoy"!
ImageImageImage
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:http://www.indianapolis-apartments-for- ... ments.aspx

At Fountainhead we are pet friendly, we allow you any size, or breed of dogs. We accept all household pets. We do provide a lighted dog run for your dogs to enjoy. Additional fees for each pet apply.
It does looks nice....
Is it by any of these places?
Greenwood
Franklin Township
Washington Point
Johnson County
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:Just did a Google search and here are a few it came up with:

The Chow Chow thing you'd have to check on, but they say dogs over 50 pounds ok..

http://www.peoplewithpets.com/states/indianapolis.asp

I've been on indystar.com
and rent.com
most of them say the same thing large dogs allowed BUT:
no aggressive breeds
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

fatima wrote: It does looks nice....
Is it by any of these places?
Greenwood
Franklin Township
Washington Point
Johnson County
Not sure-I only know the Castleton area of Indy because that's where I stay when I have to go there for training.
ImageImageImage
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Hate to say it but I would always tell insurance, apts, landlords etc,...mixed breed, was lucky and it always worked. If people saw me walking Ginger, if they asked if she was a chow I would just play dumb and say really don't know.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Try PMing Victory. That is her home town, and she may know some places. I wish you luck!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If worse comes to worse I would go with the mix breed as I've said before most people that say no Chows don't even know what a Chow looks like they go by a list. when I have a situation like that Pekoe is always known as a Black Alasken sled dog or part Chow/samoyed. Lieing is no problem for me don't know why people have such a hard time with it, if they are dumb enough to have a breed ban list then they are dumb enough to lie to.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

LOL.... that's funny...
My chow looks like a big bear. I can try to call him a Finnish Spitz but he's like 4 times there size! I might have to go with mixed breed.....
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Same list for here too. We said we have 2 dogs. We have a LAB mix and Gracie is a mix breed. The landlady asked what her mix was, we kind of debated with each other what we thought her mix could be, the landlady said she'll just write her down as a lab mix. Then the day the landlady came over, I met her out on the porch to keep her from seeing Gracie. She insisted she meet our dogs. I thought for sure we'd be evicted. I opened the door and let them out. Princess was hyper, happy to see a new face, Gracie was so well behaved, didnt even bark. Since then the landlady says she really likes Princess but Gracie scares her. I know she knows what Gracie is but she doesnt ask and we dont tell. And if she does ever ask us again, we will stick with she's a mix breed and really don't know what all her mix could be, maybe a samoyed. Figure its safer to play dumb because some of those restrictions includes any dog mixed with anything they consider aggressive.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Jeff&Peks wrote:most people that say no Chows don't even know what a Chow looks like
I can vouch for people not knowing what a Chow looks like. I have a picture of Holden on my desk and if it's not "Oh, what kind of dog do you have?" it's "Is that a Husky?" :roll:
ImageImageImage
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:http://www.indianapolis-apartments-for- ... ments.aspx

Thank you for showing me this one, I've been on rent.com and they have a whole bunch of places.... BUT the majority is "No aggressive breeds"
This place is about 30 minutes from the recruiting station but if they take Bear, then my husband said he's willing to drive the distance to and from work.
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

Jeff&Peks wrote:If worse comes to worse I would go with the mix breed as I've said before most people that say no Chows don't even know what a Chow looks like they go by a list. when I have a situation like that Pekoe is always known as a Black Alasken sled dog or part Chow/samoyed. Lieing is no problem for me don't know why people have such a hard time with it, if they are dumb enough to have a breed ban list then they are dumb enough to lie to.

Thanks for saying that....
You just made my husbands night!
lol...
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Because of Tai's size and coloring, I tell people he is mixed... Samoyed and Irish Setter. LOL As long as he doesn't open his mouth (black tongue) we are in good shape. :)
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It's true about ignorance in the masses about Chows. Lily has been mis-identified as a Pomeranian a couple times...
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Throw Shar pei into your mix and that accounts for the black tongue. Or belgain shephard, they have mostly black tongues.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Your dog loves licorice as a treat. My pb chow is a terrier and something mix. Mikki has drop ears, she maybe part lab I told the house ins. agent.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

He's a husky/shar pei mix!
ImageImageImage
fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fatima »

That's what my hubby and i have been doing. We've been coming up with "mix breed recipes" to have on hand when we're asked what he is. We love our chow, we're so proud to have one and we love to tell people he's one. But in this case, i guess we'll have to hide our pride. :^o