Question about a potential addition to the family..

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

weezer62966
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question about a potential addition to the family..

Post by weezer62966 »

Hello fellow Chow Chow lovers,
I currently have an adorable 3 or 4 month old female Chow we've named Dusty. We want to bring a male Chow into the family and went to look at 7 week old puppies tonight. They were quite fat looking and all in the litter were black. My question relates to the tongue. I know a spotted tongue is not necessarily a desirable trait but is it indicitive of the dog not being a pure Chow Chow? My first Chow, Chyna, was a Blue and had a solid tongue throughout her life. (She's gone now but brightened up my days for about 13 years..) Dusty also had a solid tongue but the puppies we saw tonight seemed to all have very pronounced spotting. The Mother (bitch, I guess) was at the home, but they wouldn't let her in as she's very aggressive. The Father (Sire?) wasn't there and they didn't have any pictures of him.
Thanks for any advice...
Attachments
My Dusty Dog
My Dusty Dog
DustySmall.jpg (18.13 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
alfaphlex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Question about a potential addition to the family..

Post by alfaphlex »

At 7 weeks old, chow puppies can still have pink spots if I'm not mistaken. What you should be concerned about are the mom and dad chows. If you care about quality, which you do seem to, then I wouldn't pick a pup until at least seeing the mom at a distance.

You say they wouldn't let you see her because she's aggressive. That seems to me like an excuse from a byb (backyard breeder) to not show you the mom, which is a warning sign because she might have lots of imperfections or physical problems that might be inherited to the pups. Hell, she might not even be pure chow (which seems to be a concern of yours). And what breeder won't even have at least pictures of the bitch and/or sire to show you? Not a good one, that's for sure.

If what they said is true about the bitch being aggressive, that's also another warning sign because that too is a trait that can be passed down. If you care about quality as well as owning a life-long healthy chow, I suggest passing up the offer. I know it's tough to turn down those cute lil' bear cubs, but you'll be rewarded for having a bit more patience.

Not all byb are evil, but there are enough signs in your post that scream 'stay away'.

btw- Dusty is beautiful and welcome to the forums :mrgreen:
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Your Dusty is a beautiful girl!!!!
I agree with Kuma and Nova's Dad, pass those puppies up. The whole thing smells of a bad BYB to me also. The spotted tongues are the least of the problem... which if they are purebred isn't a problem. Chow puppies tongues take time to turn all blue/black. And occasionally there is a pure bred that may have pink spots... bad breeding of course. My Tai has 1 pink spot on his tongue. He is a pure bred chow... his owner signed over his puppy papers when he gave Tai up. Tai's tongue and his gums are as black/blue as they can be, but he does have that one little spot that is pink. Does that make him any less pure bred? Nope, but that is a trait that should be bred out not allowed to stay in. BYB's don't care about traits, genetic testing, or much of anything else with the exception of the cash that you put into their hands.
If a breeder refuses to let you see the parent(s), run the other way. They are hiding something. One or more of the parents being aggressive can be a trait that can be passed down to the puppys.
It's hard to turn those cute little puppies down, especially after you have fallen in love with one of them. I know, I've been there and done that. But if you can wait, I have a feeling that you will be far better off.
Welcome to the site.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I hate to say forget the puppies but like the others said it sounds like Mom and Pop are being hidden, go back in a few weeks and take another look. On the next trip call them and tell them you insist on seeing mom and pop even if they have to be fenced in or put some place in the house or property where you can see them. they are definitely BYB's but that doesn't always mean they are bad. Personally I would trust a nice couple down the street that seem to have a genuine care for their chow's then a so called good breeder that just pumps them out and gives you papers and says AKC approved. BYB or professional breeder doesn't guarantee a perfect Chow, health or temperment..

If they say the mother is aggressive then what do they expect the puppies to be like thats a horrible sales pitch and if the male was out where was he? down at the corner bar slurping up beers? If the male isn't around then they eather had a friend or neighbors Chow/dog come over or their Chow some how accidentally got pregnant. Sounds like a con job but like I said I hate to do that to the puppies....
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

YOu have gotten great advice and you will get tons more and I will go ahead and say that most will tell you to run..not walk the other way.
The aggressive mother and not letting you meet her is reason enough.
There are tons of puppies and you may have to wait a bit but Dusty is still so young you have time.
Welcome to the site and Miss Dusty is adorable!!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
weezer62966
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weezer62966 »

Thank you all for the advice. I'll put the brakes on and keep searching.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yes stay away RUN AWAY, When I got my cocker, the mom had "run away" Years later My cocker is blind. My dad got a cocker from a different breeder, The dad was too aggressive for him to meet, A few years later She is blind. If you are looking for a younger chow, I would try petfinder or chows who need a home, there are no guarantees on genetics but there are so many chows that need homes and it is less expensive

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If I may suggest, there is an alternative to these pups. I would be leary of this situation! You already are, you just got all your own suspicions confirmed here, is all. Anyway check out this link:
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 96#p113896
I don't know if he is still available, but he is handsome, young, obviously a PB, and being a year old, you will have an easier time not having 2 puppies. I think he would likely be fine with your girl, the fosters would be able to tell you more. Contact robinsegg (the orig. poster of the link). She has the info. Also, if you want a Chow of dubious beginnings, robinsegg is foster a pair of chow pups that were breeder surrender due to mange, which has now been cured. They too, are supposed to be PB, but it is hard to tell. Those lovies have been under the care of a knowledgable foster, and are very well socialized to other dogs as well as cats.