Impossible to continue care...

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

MSman

Impossible to continue care...

Post by MSman »

I have a red male Chow, neutered, and up-to-date on shots. He was my ex-wifes dog. When she left, she left him behind.

I have cared for him now for three years plus since she left and he is fine with me. BUT- today he bit my NEW wife's hand when she went to console him during a thunderstorm. (He is a thunder baby)

I cannot have a dog that has bitten both my wife and a vet tech (immediately after Katrina- our house and yard was destroyed and he was boarded for three and a half weeks) he bit a tech who startled him in his pen at feeding time. SHe said he had been fine the rest of the time but something happended)

I have three options as I see it-

1) build a pen and keep him caged
2) Put him down
3) Find someone willing to adopt him

HELP- any other ideas. I have to do something fast. My wife is now terrifed of him.

Rusty@fbwalker.com
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Rusty,
You have a difficult situation here but you have mentioned extraordinary circumstances that led to the bite incidences. Did your new wife know your Chow had a thunderstorm issue? It's not fair for your wife or your Chow. Many dogs having thunderstorm issues have to be sedated. As for the time he was being boarded - the vet apparently didn't know how to approach your Chow given the anxiety he was under (having been away from his family) doubled with interupting a feeding time - I'm not surprised.
I think that you, your wife, and your Chow need to re-established your relationships. Don't cage him - he doesn't deserve it! You can probably get some professional assistance as well to help you during this re-establishment period. Option #2, should not even be considered! Option 3 is an option only if you have exhausted all efforts to re-establish the relationship with you, your new wife, and you Chow. Don't forget that when your first wife left, there was probably some adjusting by you and your Chow to deal with the absence. Now you have a new wife - is he being unknowningly neglected?
I strongly encourage you to work with your Chow and not just look for an easy way out.

Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I agree with Karen you are putting to much blame on the Chow and not looking at what is causing the problem. I suggest you move this post up to the discussion area and get some more advice even though I'm sure everyone is going to agree with Karen. This can all be worked out with out getting rid of the Chow. If you post in the discuscsion section have your wife read all the post there is no reason your wife should be afraid of your Chow, she just needs to take the time to understand your Chow and what is going on. You just named the 3 most stressful conditions any Chow or dog could go through. as Karen says most Chows/Dogs have to be sedated during thunder storms. Locked in a gage with strange people just after katrina, gee wonder why he is stressed and biting.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. Rusty, please cross post this in the discussion section. I will respond when you do so. This section is suppose to be for rescue organizations. Not often looked at by the general membership.