General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: MISSING CHOW BRONX NY

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Jeff&Peks wrote:[

Good luck on your search; I hope you and your dog are re-united.

Thanks...Hey did someone from here put the add up on PetHarbor? If so Nikki is fixed... No word as of yet on her... Very sad Sunday was her birthday...
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:[

Good luck on your search; I hope you and your dog are re-united.

Thanks...Hey did someone from here put the add up on PetHarbor? If so Nikki is fixed... No word as of yet on her... Very sad Sunday was her birthday...
While searching for the lost chow I came across the Petharbor ad. I don't know who placed it, I would suggest to add a picture. If this was my chow that got away, I would post pictures on all finders. The CL listing of the lost Bronx chow needs to be placed everyday, otherwise the lost chow ad gets lost in the shuffle. If anyone is in possession of the Bronx chow they'll very likely check on CL before any other site.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sooo whats up with Nikki? When I talked to AdoptachowLA this morning she said to e-mail Nikki's info to her she would pass it along to her New York contacts so as soon as I get some time I will e-mail it to her and update the Craigslist post.

I guess I don't have the patience for all this Chow stuff, I want lost Chows found, and Rehomed Chows in a home within 30 minutes after posting, I get really impatient after the allotted 30 minute time limit.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm with you Jeff...I want instant results when it comes to missing Chows/dogs. I just got home and noticed a posting on the mailbox...missing chihuahua in my neighborhood. Then I got to my house and found a hand-written notice for the same chihuahua stuck in my door. That takes a lot to hand-write flyers and post them on doors. I'm going to go see if I can help them.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hey guys. im in brooklyn, about 30 minutes from the bronx. if there is anything i can do, please dont hesitate to ask.
i just came back online after about a week, and this disturbs and upsets me sooo much. poor nikki. i will say prayers for her every night until she gets home.
if it was her spotted in east new york, that is some hike from da bronx. alot of highways.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

janet wrote:hey guys. im in brooklyn, about 30 minutes from the bronx. if there is anything i can do, please dont hesitate to ask.
i just came back online after about a week, and this disturbs and upsets me sooo much. poor nikki. i will say prayers for her every night until she gets home.
if it was her spotted in east new york, that is some hike from da bronx. alot of highways.
My chow loves cars, she loves to travel. My first chow Luna did too. As soon as someone, could be a total stranger, opens a car door, Mikki is ready to hop in. There is a possibility that Nikki hitched a ride? Or someone picked him up and when they opened their car door, Nikki escaped. IMO it's a good idea to check all NYC and surrounding areas' shelters. And keep posting on CL which is popular everywhere.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

NIKKI UPDATE:
Yoko got a strange call from a woman who blocked her number saying " your dog is dead but no one wanted to tell you so you can stop looking." Yoko replied she would never stop looking to which the woman started stuttering. We are 100% sure that someone saw her gorgeous well groomed cream chow and thought, "finders keepers." She has handed out over 500 flyers. Its just a matter of time before Yoko spots Nikki. If Nikki were dead, animal control would have retrieved the body. They also know that Nikki is missing and info was wanted on her condition dead or alive. So We are certain she is not dead, just in a theif's home... Everyone please remember Nikki. She is now 1 year and 1 week old. She has been missing for a week. Yoko is very distraut. This has torn her up.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry to hear this Carla. It's my worst fear that someone would take my fluffy butts away. Please tell Nikki'd mom we're thinking of her :(
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:NIKKI UPDATE:
Yoko got a strange call from a woman who blocked her number saying " your dog is dead but no one wanted to tell you so you can stop looking." Yoko replied she would never stop looking to which the woman started stuttering. We are 100% sure that someone saw her gorgeous well groomed cream chow and thought, "finders keepers." She has handed out over 500 flyers. Its just a matter of time before Yoko spots Nikki. If Nikki were dead, animal control would have retrieved the body. They also know that Nikki is missing and info was wanted on her condition dead or alive. So We are certain she is not dead, just in a theif's home... Everyone please remember Nikki. She is now 1 year and 1 week old. She has been missing for a week. Yoko is very distraut. This has torn her up.
Its all in the tone of the caller, if its like you said "your dog is dead" with no caring or concern in the callers voice then she has the dog and someihing is up. A person that would call and cold heartedly say your dog is dead quit looking wouldn't care enough to make the call in the first place. It must of been a blow off call or Yoko wouldn't have said she wouldn't stop looking.i would beef up the search, more flyer's, more alerts in the neighborhood, everyone that posted Nikki on what ever update your post becouse the caller could be worried someone wil see the dog, How much is the reward? a large reward might change the story, not just your dog is dead quit looking.

Ask Yoko what was the tone of caller and how long the person was on the phone with her was there any kind of sorrow or compassion in the callers voice . Anyone that would take the time to call with any concern would have stayed on the phne for awhile and expresed some kind of concern.

We should probably change our missing Chow alerts to stolen Chow alerts.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just remmebered, our News in Ca had a story a few weeks ago about a Motorcycle group in New York that have gotten together to track down stolen dogs, they have a website and are pretty will known due to the news coverage. I forget the groups name but you have to try and find out who they are, they will defenantly find Nikki.
I'm trying to find out who they are but can't find the website, maybe someone else has heard of them.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sounds like to me that lady that called either has Nikki or knows the person that has Nikki. She called to make Yoko stop looking for her. Keeping a Chow locked up in NYC has got to be pretty tough...they gotta go potty sometime. Maybe Yoko should focus her search and recovery efforts to the nightshift when the thiefs would least expect her to be watching. I've also heard of pet detectives...maybe one of those would help.

She should definitely contact the phone company and resport the "harrassment" call. Maybe they could track the number if the phone company gets involved.

I wouldn't give up, that's for sure. I was just searching through NYC CL last night wondering what happened to Nikki... Our thoughts are still with her.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

fillyok wrote:Sounds like to me that lady that called either has Nikki or knows the person that has Nikki. She called to make Yoko stop looking for her. Keeping a Chow locked up in NYC has got to be pretty tough...they gotta go potty sometime.
Jeff everybody, thanks. There was no caring tone to the callers voice which is why Yoko thought it was strange.SHe got the the call while at work and she immediately left work (hope she wasn't fired for it) and went to the area that she felt the call was coming from. These people have pretty much 8 hours during the day while Yoko is at work to walk her, Its just one of those situations where if someone is mean enough they can threaten those who have seen her not to rat them out. I am originally from Va Beach and Norfolk Va and can tell you while its not the Bronx NY I know what she is dealing with.
We have been pretty certain since that first night that she was stolen. As I said the whole finders keepers thing. Its just very sad. The next worse thing is Yoko is moving at the end of May. She is determined to have her Nikki with her. I do not suspect anything fowl from Yoko, I know she loves Nikki and have heard the anguish in her voice. I just wish I was closer I'd knock on every door day and night till I found her. She's just so pretty, someone has to have seen her.
Thanks everyone for helping Yoko and Nikki.
alfaphlex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alfaphlex »

Don't know if you've tried this site yet: http://dogdetective.com/

Have you tried calling your local news stations? I'm sure they must get a lot of calls about missing pets, but because of the "anonymous" call, it might catch their interest. Here's a recent NY Post article about a stolen dog.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03042008/ne ... 100330.htm

Another idea that I got from looking at the NYPost article was digg.com. You can try posting info + picture about Nikki there, include the part about that mysterious call and we can all digg it to make it a really popular article.

I frequent over 20 forums and I've read of stories where internet mobs rally up and together do their own detective work. Some success stories include:

Stolen sidekick (phone) in nyc. Girl who lost it left it in a cab. Girl who found it used it, teased the owner and refused to give it back... she was mobbed, harrassed and embarassed publicly online.
http://www.evanwashere.com/StolenSidekick/

Stolen laptop + xbox360 = same deal. Kid got online with the owners xbox, actually messaged the owner, teasing him saying "i got yo xbox360 n*gga"... again, internet rallied up, did their own detective work, found all his info including home address, school, names, etc. Kid was publically embarassed and returned the stolen goods.
http://news.filefront.com/stolen-xbox-3 ... alled-off/

Canadian guy's car was stolen right from his dealership. He posted about it in the local forum he frequents. Well, they all went straight into searching for the car and within 2 days, had pictures of the thief, found his home address, a bunch of them went to his home to get the car back or kick that guy's assluckily he was gone) Then one member found the car parked between 2 other cars, he parked in front of it, trapping it, and called the police. The thief was ridiculed because his hand was disfigured, they called him "the claw"
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/ne ... ntPage=all

So yeah, post about it on digg.com. I will visit and post a thread linking to the article on all 20+ forums I frequent asking for support so people can click and "digg it". Everyone else on this site can do the same on the sites they frequent and we massively bump it up. If we make it big enough on digg.com, other site's will post up articles linking to it as well. It's a big money-making scheme for them (ads), and a free thousands strong internet search posse. A dog is something I'm more than sure millions are affectionate about. You WILL get support, lots of it.

edit: forgot the link to the NYPost article (it's there now)
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

alfaphlex wrote:Don't know if you've tried this site yet: http://dogdetective.com/

Have you tried calling your local news stations? I'm sure they must get a lot of calls about missing pets, but because of the "anonymous" call, it might catch their interest. Here's a recent NY Post article about a stolen dog.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03042008/ne ... 100330.htm

Another idea that I got from looking at the NYPost article was digg.com. You can try posting info + picture about Nikki there, include the part about that mysterious call and we can all digg it to make it a really popular article.
Great idea! Heading to Staunton and won't be back for a few hours. Emailing to Yoko. Ya'll feel free to call her or email her with this too. I know she'd love to hear the support. Phone number and email already posted. Thanks so much everyone.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

...and consider hiring a bloodhound
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

i would also update Craigslist to read STOLEN CHOW and give the approximate location/neighborhood. The reward would probably get more people to notice. Post it in both the pet and lost&found sections. Hopefully those dirty, rotten Chownappers are treating Nikki well.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

fillyok wrote:i would also update Craigslist to read STOLEN CHOW and give the approximate location/neighborhood. The reward would probably get more people to notice. Post it in both the pet and lost&found sections. Hopefully those dirty, rotten Chownappers are treating Nikki well.
Yep, I changed my post on Craigslist last night from missing to stolen then this morning I got a couple of e-mails from people wanting to know which dog park and the area, they would keep their eyes open, which dog park was it ? I can add that to my post. I didn't get any responses when I said missing now that i say stolen more people are taking interest. Craigslist, pet harbor and the flyers should all be changed to stolen.
When I was looking for the motorcycle group in New York I came across alot of purebreads being stolen out of cars in front of New york Hotels. The New York PD is saying the Dog nappers are staking out hotels and watching for prize purebreads.

Hi,

In which park was your dog stolen? Someone stole her right out of the dog park?

I live in the Bronx and will keep an eye out for her.

~Margaret

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've been thinking...if Nikki isn't spayed the thiefs probably want to use her to make money (baby Chow factory), but if they don't have a male they may just think they can get money by selling her. Why not post an ad on Craigslist wanting to purchase a female? I would put "willing to pay (some outrageous amount) for female Chow". Say "prefer Cream or Cinnamon" so it wouldn't look too obvious, but narrows the possibilities.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

fillyok wrote:I've been thinking...if Nikki isn't spayed the thiefs probably want to use her to make money (baby Chow factory), but if they don't have a male they may just think they can get money by selling her. Why not post an ad on Craigslist wanting to purchase a female? I would put "willing to pay (some outrageous amount) for female Chow". Say "prefer Cream or Cinnamon" so it wouldn't look too obvious, but narrows the possibilities.
Someone does have a post on the NY craigslist, Looking for a female Chow, Probably has nothing to do with anything but a coincidence.

Female Chow Chow wanted!!! (nj)
I am looking to adopt/purchase a female chow chow. I have been looking for about 2 months now with no luck. Everyone that has one that i like when i email them it is adopted. I have no other pets and really would like a pure bred chow. I really do not want to go to a breeder but i really haven't even been able to find a breeder close any way! I may consider a male depending on its temperment. thank you

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm getting alot of responses now that Nikki is listed as stolen. I checked out this site this is a new one tobe added to the missing dog data base. I tried to post Nikki but they want alot of Info I don't have. Date, time, place, address, Notify Police, Etc.

Hi,

You should also post your stolen pet here;

http://www.SwiftReport.net

Good luck!

Hadley Price - Enthusiastic commitment to continued personal and professional development.
Strategies Advisor

ImageImage
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:NIKKI UPDATE:
Yoko got a strange call from a woman who blocked her number saying " your dog is dead but no one wanted to tell you so you can stop looking."
Just another thought, you can have that phone number traced depending on what phone company Yoko is using. My ex (a long time ago) used to call the house and block the number and then hang up just to make sure I was at home at the time I had quest phone service and as long as she remembers the date and time (if the company offers it) she can have the call traced for a little bit of money, that's how I found out it was my ex constantly calling even though he had blocked the number. Maybe if she can have the number traced the police would help out? Like I said just a thought, good luck.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jeff&Peks wrote:I'm getting alot of responses now that Nikki is listed as stolen. I checked out this site this is a new one tobe added to the missing dog data base. I tried to post Nikki but they want alot of Info I don't have. Date, time, place, address, Notify Police, Etc.

Hi,

You should also post your stolen pet here;

http://www.SwiftReport.net

Good luck!

Hadley Price - Enthusiastic commitment to continued personal and professional development.
Strategies Advisor
Hi Jeff, Sorry we have been making lots of Calls I haven't been on here much.
Yoko has been so upset her sister had to call me today to update as she just couldnt talk. Jasmine her sister is close to Nikki too, and is So very upset.
Ok.. Here is what I have for you,
Nikki Lee was last seen running down Park Ave heading towards 170th street
She may be hurt from a vehicle striking her. Any information leading to her rescue will be appreciated
Please contact her owner Yoko at 646-479-9021 or 646-249-3240

Nikki Lee is also MICRO CHIPPED
She has been hot-lined with the following agency and
A nation wide search is being conducted

AVID 1-800-336-2843 ext 4
24PET Watch 1-866-597-2424
Animal Care & Control 212-788-4000
K9 Amber Alert
A REWARD WILL BE GIVEN
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hey all. this is just breaking my heart. i thought id come on here to find that nikki found her way back home.:(.
there are such rotten people in this world sometimes. what goes around comes around.
does the person who might have nikki actually think that he/she is gonna get away with keeping her without going noticed???? cream chows arent that common,let alone a cream chow in the bronx.they will get theirs, and nikki will get back to her family. i can just feel it.
have faith.
i will keep a candle lit until she gets home.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What about checking the local vets in that area? If she was hit by a car maybe they took her to the vet (long shot).
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

janet wrote:hey guys. im in brooklyn, about 30 minutes from the bronx. if there is anything i can do, please dont hesitate to ask.
Janet, hey can you email me? Carla_Franchi@swva.net thanks.