Are Chows suitable for an apartment life?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sally_m87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are Chows suitable for an apartment life?

Post by Sally_m87 »

Hey guys, while browsing I came across this wonderful site .. and I've been checking out some of your babies' pictures in the picture gallery they're all adorable!
Anyways, I joined this forum because I'm still in the process of considering whether I should get a Chow or not .. Or to better rephrase my sentence, whether it is suitable for me to get one. The thing is that i've been reading alot about them, and i've already fallen in love with the way they look. The only thing that's making me hesitant is the fact that I live in an apartment in Beirut, Lebanon. ( You can compare that to living in an apartment in NYC, very crowded etc ... ) Do you guys think it is suitable for me to get a Chow ? Do they adapt well in apartments ( size wise, exercise requirements energy levels, etc...?)
alfaphlex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Are Chows suitable for an apartment life?

Post by alfaphlex »

Yes, they are. They don't require a lot of exercise, much less in hot weather (heat exhaustion), but it is still needed, especially if neutered/spayed. Exercise isn't the only reason to take them out though. During their first few months as puppies, its crucial that you take them out to meet people, let people touch/hold the pup, so that he doesn't become anti-social. Even if they're well socialized as puppies, it's still good to continue socializing them as they mature into adulthood.

Energy-levels: Even as puppies, they're more calm than lots of other breeds. Regardless, they still love to play. When they're older, they get lazier, which makes them perfect apartment pets. They're like huge cats, lol. Oh yeah, another reason to make sure they get enough exercise: if they don't, all the energy built up will result in zoomies (occur randomly), which you probably wouldn't want in an apartment, lol.

Here's an example of zoomies: http://youtube.com/watch?v=iuZhqOJc7qw

As far as indoors, an apartment is fine. They don't really mess with furniture or stuff that isn't theirs, they're housebroken easily, and their quiet, only barking if a stranger is approaching the entrance (door) to your home.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh yes, I can definately vouch for that.

I spent tons of money building stairs down from my deck and a fenced in yard, only to have them run out, do their biz and want to come back in. They love to go for short walks, but they are more than happy in the family room and kitchen. That's it. The rest of the house is carpeted and they have no desire to go any where else.

Those two rooms combined aren't much.
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I live in a big city too and I have no problem with my chow in our apartment.
I just hope you have air conditioning for the poor thing.

By the way, Coco does wonderful zoomies in the apartment, we love them. :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't think there is a better breed for apartment living as long as you walk them at least once aday they are happy and content just being in the same room with you. My Chow lived in a loft for 6 years I think she preferred the loft more then the house and yard she has now. She never goes on the grass except to pee and lays on the concrete deck all the time....If you have a patio or balcony thats even better they will sit outside all day and night watching the world past by.

I wish there was a way to let property management companies know they couldn't ask for a better breed, clean, quiet, never destroys anything and never bothers anyone. Except no one can enter the apartment if your not home and they are alone.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I had my first two chows in a four room apartment, no issues. They seldom bark, enjoyed walks and did zoomies in the apartment. The window seat was their favorite spot, watching the world go by is a chow's favorite activity.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

I've had two chows living in a one bedroom condo in Florida for a couple of years and they were absolutely fine with it. As others have noted, they're basically pretty lazy! They were older and I didn't even take them on long walks, though I did take them on walks.

I'm now living with a 4 year old chow in a 2 bedroom apartment - It may as well be a 12 bedroom house for as much as she moves around it - from the windows overlooking the marsh straight back to the kitchen for her food and back again. The rest of the time she's just laying around. Once every few days she goes zoomies for a minute or two- racing around the coffee table in the living room, nipping at my pants leg, trying to entice me to join in! I try to take her for 2 30-40 minute walks each day and take her out for a quick trip a couple of times in between. She doesn't bark often, she hasn't ever done anything in the house, she doesn't chew, she doesn't get in the garbage -she's such a lady! (Of course Honey and Ralph were the same, except Ralph, who was 1-1/2 when he adopted my late husband and I, had been out on his own and living on garbage for so long, that he DID get into the garbage to look for food whenever he had the opportunity!)
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My chows and I have lived in apartments forever, they do just fine. I used to live in a small one bedroom and they did fine there too. Like every one has said they are calm indoors, usually quiet, and not destructive, (after they become adults, as puppies, they are puppies but that only lasts a few months) I've seen and heard much smaller dogs who should be okay in apartments go bonkers because of their energy levels.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

I also live in a small one bedroom apartment, and as with all of the others, Tai does just fine. Tai adores going for walks when it's cool enough, but he's just as happy sitting in front of my patio door watching the world go by. Eats and sleeps, sleeps and eats. LOL He does the occassional zoomie and then he's lazy again. Chow puppies do very little, if any chewing, they house break easily, and they are quiet dogs unless someone is around that shouldn't be.
But also, as was already mentioned. Do your research. There's nothing any cuter than a chow puppy, and an adult chow is magnificant looking. But underneath those breath taking looks is a stubborn, willful, creature who demands respect. They are not labs or collies, they don't live to please their owners. If anything, it's the opposite. As far as the chow is concerned, it's the owner's responceability to please the chow. It takes a special person to raise and live with a chow. They are fiercely loyal and will protect their people/families with everything they have. But yes, they do wonderfully in an apartment.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Sally_m87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sally_m87 »

Thank you guys ! for all ur insights :) I find it always better to ask people with personal experience rather just reading abt it in doggy and breed information sites .. I'll make sure to think it thoroughly before making up my mind .. And I'll let u know what i come up with :)

Sally.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I started off with one chow in an apartment in the centre of Johannesburg, one soon amounted to 7 and except for two of the girls that did not like each other they all lived happily for the 15years that we were in the apartment. I took them out to the dog park twice a day, three at a time, yes it was a hand full, but my son and I managed, Our apartment had a very big roof garden and the dogs were very happy there, no fleas, no ticks, and no one would get into the elevator when we were in it, all were terrified of the Lion dogs, so we were always very safe.
I dont forsee any problems, but make sure your landlord will allow you to have a chow first, Ours thought they were tiny dogs, and agreed to that in the lease, until Lady started to grow, and they cold say nothing, They really dont bark, and even when I moved to the farm my landlord was worried about 15 chows barking, I told him not to worry, the only time they barked was at supper time, He now misses the chows, as I only have Smurf and Chrystal left.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

here's a link to my book, all about my chows that lived in the apartment. In South Africa we call apartments Flats, strange name for a high building, we were on the roof top, 12 stories up.
http://blog.glowfoto.com/carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

Chloe is an apartment dog. I've even been contemplating getting a second one but need to check with my landlord before doing so. Chloe does well. We go for 3 walks a day
(first thing in the morning, when I get home from work, and just before bed.) She rarely barks. I've checked with the tenants in the other apartments and they all say they've never heard her barking or crying when I'm at work. She has just about full run of the apartment whether I'm at home or not. When I go to work I close off the room the computer is in--I discovered once she had buried a bone in the wiring. Other than that, she's been perfect. O:)
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."
ChowChowInTheCity
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowChowInTheCity »

I'm a 1 bedroom, NYC apartment dweller and my Rudy does just fine. He is very active outside, but when he is in our apartment he is a huge couch potato. He'll play with his toys and with humans, but most of his time is spent sleeping on the couch, inside the coffee table (he has claimed it as his own makeshift "crate"), or under the bed. Since Rudy is still a 9 month old puppy, he has lots of energy to get out and needs lots of attention, so I have to make sure we spend a lot of time on walks, at the dog park, or even just meeting other dogs that walk by while we sit on the front stoop of our building.

One thing that you might want to consider is how will your neighbors feel about the occasional 5AM barking? Compared to other dogs I don't think chows are very vocal, but every now and then Rudy will hear a noise in the hallway and start barking his head off in the middle of the night. Mine are all animal lovers with pets of their own who don't mind, but if you have an easily irritated neighbor, it could make for an unpleasant living situation for all parties involved.