I am sick!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

I am sick!

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

I typically search for Chows in need in my region and try to post just in case someone is interested. Today on Austins Craigslist I saw a posting from the 17th, I hesitated to inquire because it was not current date, but I did and here is their reply.

Thank you so much for your interest in one of the pets at the Town Lake Animal Center. Unfortunately, the pet you have inquired about, A506648, was euthanized due to aggression.
If you are interested in becoming one of our placement partners for Chow Chow placement, please contact our placement coordinators.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Animal Services

I hate it when they do that, likely they did not even check her temperment like Jeff always says their time is limited due to their reputation.
Below is a picture of pretty girl, may she rest in peace and enjoy her glory days at the rainbow bridge. http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/646164606.html
Attachments
Run free
Run free
01010001160901040020080417682f604b441bf8127c00fbe3.jpg (5.73 KiB) Viewed 10914 times
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I am sick!

Post by Red Dragon »

Texas has the highest rate of attacks and deaths by Chows of any state. You can bet if a Chow shows any aggression in that state it will not make it out of the shelter alive.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Such a shame.

Sam, where did you get that info? I've never seen anything regarding Texas and fatal Chow attacks. Maybe you're thinking of APBTs...those happen all the time.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Here is the 97 stat, there are more, you just have to search for them. I think I remember seeing a nationwide chart and Texas had the highest rate of bites of any state. http://www.dogexpert.com/Miscellaneous/ ... at1997.PDF
Sam

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'd be curious to know as well, I was scratching my head. Hard to find a Chow in the Houston area, I had contacted a number of rescues asking them to contact me if they came across any. Only had one call for a mix, you know the kind, short haired, curly tail and pointy ears, looks more like a big Chiaua sp than a Chow..LOL
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

There are a bunch of Chow breeders all over Texas, show, BYB, and puppymill. I don't recommend any of them so don't ask. :lol:
Sam

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Here is another site with lots of info. Chows are on the list of killers. I know of a breeder that was almost killed by a Chow she bred, it attacked her when she came home and went to open the door, luckily the husband was home and he got the dog off of her, she had well over 100 stitches. People that have never seen one of these dogs get aggressive have no idea what they are capable of. It's another of the many reasons why you should buy from a reputable breeder who breeds mentally stable dogs. This breed can inflict serious damage in a split second.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statist ... kelytobite
Sam

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hmm, I know that N. TX is really active with Chows, as we frequented N TX Chow Club meetings to learn more about the breed. This when we acquired our first Chow Ginger Bear, not much on the internet at that time, our other source of education were books. Not knowing any better at the time, and as it turns out Ginger came from a BYB. Ziggy we suspect the same or worse and are working through his issues with him, thanks heaven for this site and its wealth of knowledge. If only there could be true for the betterment of the breed breeders. I remember meeting a Chow on vacation in CT, after we had acquired Ginger, we were amazed at how friendly this guy was. Good temperment..etc.
Ginger turned out to be an excellent dog but it took a lot of work. Ziggy is finally coming around he is about 5 months old now and too smart for his own good.

Statistics are interesting, are there comparisions to any other states?
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Considering there were only 7 human deaths due to dogs in Texas in 2007 and those 7 were blamed on pitts, rotts and mastiffs plus Chows aren't even listed in the national human death by dog report I find that hard to believe.

I have seen the reports of dog bites both nationally and state. That list has to come from an insurance report or some kind of pay off trying to discriminate against a certain breed. Chows are listed on every deadly dog list at least in the top five because of insurance companies. I haven't yet to read where a Chow has been involved in an attack or serious bite unless extremely provoked and its very rare. like they say about Sharks, almost all shark attacks are blamed on great whites when most of the attacks were by tiger shark or another type of shark. Same with Chows, Most people including insurance companies have no idea what a chow even looks like and as most people that spend time on pet-finder can see almost half the dogs listed as Chow or Chow mix are no where near being a Chow. If you read most of the bite articles or hear a 911 calls if it concerns a Chow you will always hear it looked like a Chow, It may have been a Chow or I THINK it was a Chow then when they get to the real story it wasn't a chow nor looked like a Chow, People just relate dangerous dog to Chows. How many thousands of times aday do you get approached by someone asking what kind of dog is that, I have never seen a dog that looks like that, then when you say Chow they say "oh I hear they kill People" yeah right, I hear it everyday.

Plus if you add up the post on this site Chows and states, how many times have you seen a Chow needing help or rehoming coming out of Texas, I know they have one of the biggest Chow rescue's but you rarely hear anything about Chows in Texas except from the owners of Chows on here. If Chows were the killer breed of Texas you can bet we would have heard it by now.

My opinion, total BS, Must be a Bush report.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

No doubt that most Chow attacks were probably provoked, most Chows will try to get away from people, it's when people back them into a corner that things go bad, they usually come out with teeth showing.

There is all kinds of data on the net, you will just have to search for it. I don't think Bush had anything to do with those stats, but maybe you know something I don't. :lol:
Sam

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Red Dragon wrote:Texas has the highest rate of attacks and deaths by Chows of any state. You can bet if a Chow shows any aggression in that state it will not make it out of the shelter alive.
Jeff&Peks wrote:Considering there were only 7 human deaths due to dogs in Texas in 2007 and those 7 were blamed on pitts, rotts and mastiffs plus Chows aren't even listed in the national human death by dog report I find that hard to believe.
Thanks Jeff, I thought I was missing something in those reports, I could find no related Chow deaths, I think there was mention of a Chow Mix doing some damage, but I do not even recall a Chow death nationwide.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

So what are you trying to say Most Texans that own Chows are backing them into Corners and beating them.

I did look up the statistics, I just posted it do you think I dream this stuff up? 7 total human deaths in Texas in 2007, non involving a Chow....Prove me wrong, show me one actual article or news report of anyone in Texas being killed by a Chow or a severe Chow attack on a human not some kid getting bite in the backyard.

I won't argue that Texas is the leader in executions but good for them, the only thing I have against Texas is, I won't say his name again. And remember Davey crochet and Jim Bowie had a beer at the Alamo so I find it hard to believe Chows are destroying the population of Texas if so they would have made a life time horror movie of it by now. !!!!THE CHOW!!!!! Creature of death, now showing city wide.

You can argue with the Texans over this but I find it impossible to believe and seeing the dog bite and death reports that Chows are the leading killer in any state unless you can show actual poof, not some ridicules insurance report.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I didn't mean to start a p*ssing contest with my question, but data from 1997 doesn't really stand up 11 years later. I've been here since Dec 2000 and the only fatal dog attacks I remember hearing about were from APBTs. There is some data out there that states many of those attacks were from dogs that were chained up. I distinctly remember one case (last year maybe) where a little girl asked her mom if it would be okay if she helped the neighbors dog get unhooked off the fence (she'd done it many times before). The last time she did it was when the dog went beserk and killed her. There was a lot of controversy about chaining up dogs after that, but of course nothing really happened. Personally, I think there should be a law against having an animal chained up 24/7.

I rarely see anyone in San Antonio with Chows. I did see one lady walking two reds once and wanted to pull over to talk to her, but traffic was too heavy and I was in the wrong lane. I know Cabo and his family live here in San Antonio, but they don't post on the site anymore. Once in a while I see someone post a Chow on craigslist, but I can't bring myself to contact them anymore after an incident that happened after I tried to help one. And two guys I used to work with had two beautiful Chows each...we used to talk all the time about our Chows.

So, I don't think Chows are the fatal attack killers here in Texas (anymore). I hate to keep saying the APBTs are to blame when I know it's the owner's fault. Also Rotts are very popular here in South Texas.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well all I can say is that I too rarely see any chows here. In fact so few that when one is found no matter the color my vet calls and asks if Butters is home. I haven't heard of any chow attacks. We did have a rash of Pitt Attacks even here, no deaths (except two little dogs, poor things) But no human deaths. But Statewide I have not heard of any chow related poeple deaths since I can remember.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff, the last I checked, the year 2007 wasn't the only year for a statistic. As with all things, they go in cycles.
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm sure it has something to do with Pit's but whats an APBTs?

Like it was said, Compared to the rest of the breeds there are so few Chows around I can't see how a Chow could be listed in anything, good or Bad no matter what state it is. How often does anyone see a purebread Chow walking around. It amazes me there are so many Chows needing homes, where are all the Chows that do have homes.

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I'm sure it has something to do with Pit's but whats an APBTs?
American Pit Bull Terrier ?
Thank you Elodie!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Here Jeff, read it and wheep, you will notice that they show Chows killing humans. These stats show California with the highest kill rate, with Texas close behind. If you don't want to believe it you can go back to the beach and stick your head in the sand. All you have to do is research it and you will find it. http://americaagainstbsl.tripod.com/fat ... tacks.html
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote:Here Jeff, read it and wheep, you will notice that they show Chows killing humans. These stats show California with the highest kill rate, with Texas close behind. If you don't want to believe it you can go back to the beach and stick your head in the sand. All you have to do is research it and you will find it. http://americaagainstbsl.tripod.com/fat ... tacks.html
No need to read it like I believe the crap people wright, it it wern't for how golible people were and believing every thing they read Bush wouldn't be in office and People wouldn't be getiing kicked out of there homes... Ca a high kill state of humans killed from Chows? that is pure bull-sh^t I know better then that.

What's your point in all this? all you are doing is bad mouthing Chows and puhing more bad chow publicity in peoples faces. If Your raising Chows and being so into the good of the breed this is the last thing i would be spreading around, You breeding and raising Chows for for all the years you say you have should know the chow breed better then this crap your posting and know its not true. This is all just breeder scams trying to get people to buy from them they are trying to make people believe they sell the only safe Chows all the other breeders are pushing out "THE CHOW" Killer bread from hell.

I just went to the site, what are you retarted? I see one Chow (PA) and one Chow mix attack on that whole list. You need to quit eating Pro-plan. Plus isn't this listl from the years when CHows were being mass prodused and over bread, I think these are the years Chows got the bad rep even tho there is only one Chow listed in those years.

Listing of Date, Number & Breed of Dogs, State & Contributory Factor

Jan. 1994 (1) Mixed breed IL Family dog
Jan. 1994 (1) Rottweiler FL Female w/puppies
Feb. 1994 (2) Rottweilers IL Guard dogs
Feb. 1994 (1) Am Staff MD Visiting child
Mar. 1994 (2) Rottweilers WA Child climbed over fence
Jul. 1994 (1) Sib.Husky AK Chained dog
Aug. 1994 (2) Rott & Mixed TN Loose dogs
Aug. 1994 (1) Rottweiler OK Unsupervised child
Sept.1994 (2) Pit Bulls NY Son's dogs
Sept.1994 (1) Chow/RottX OK Unsupervised child
Sept.1994 (1) Rottweiler OK Unsupervised child
Oct. 1994 (2) Mixed breeds NY Unsupervised child
Oct. 1994 (1) Rottweiler CO Recently obtained for protection
Nov. 1994 (2) Pit Bulls CA Mother threw baby to dogs

Jan. 1995 (1) Wolf dog SD Chained dog
Jan. 1995 (1) Sib. Husky AK Chained dog
Apr. 1995 (1) Mixed breed KS Chained dog
Apr. 1995 (1) Mixed CO Grandmother's dog
May 1995 (?) Mixed PA Neighbor's loose dogs
May 1995 (1) Rottweiler FL Chained dog
Jun. 1995 (3) German Shep CA Guard dogs
Jul. 1995 (1) Pit-bull-type CA Unsupervised child
Sept.1995 (1) Chow Chow PA Infant death
Sept.1995 (6) Pit-bull-type SD Loose roaming dogs
Oct. 1995 (3) Rottweilers NC Loose roaming dogs
Oct. 1995 (2) Pit Bulls WA Loose roaming dogs
Nov. 1995 (1) Rottweiler CT Uncle's dog

Feb. 1996 (2) Rott & GSD FL Unsupervised child
Mar. 1996 (1) Sib. Husky PA Infant death
Mar. 1996 (2) Rottweilers TN Loose neighbor's dogs
Mar. 1996 (1) Rottweiler CA Infant death
Apr. 1996 (1) Mixed TX Dog attacked owner
May 1996 (6) Chow Xs AR Neighbor's loose dogs
Jun. 1996 (1) Wolf dog AZ 1-day-old infant left w/dog
Jun. 1996 (2) Rottweilers CA Children teasing dogs
Jun. 1996 (1) Rottweiler MA Chained dog
Jul. 1996 (1) Rottweiler MO Chained dog
Jul. 1996 (1) Husky-type AK Unsupervised child
Aug. 1996 (1) Husky-type AK Chained dog
Oct. 1996 (2) Great Danes AR Feeding neighbor's dogs
Nov. 1996 (6) Rottweilers FL Loose roaming dogs
Nov. 1996 (2) Husky & Chow OH Chained dogs
Dec. 1996 (2) Wolf dogs CO Putting dogs in pen
Dec. 1996 (3) Pit-bull-type NY Grandson's dogs

Jan. 1997 (1) Rottweiler CA Unsupervised child
Jan. 1997 (1) Doberman KS Grandparent's guard dog
Mar. 1997 (1) Sib. Husky WI Infant death
Mar. 1997 (1) Labrador X SD Chained dog
Apr. 1997 (1) Rottweiler NC Grandfather's guard dog
Apr. 1997 (3) Rottweilers KS Loose roaming dogs
Apr. 1997 (2) Pit-bull-type MO Unsupervised child
May 1997 (1) West Highland MA Attacked elderly woman
Jun. 1997 (1) Sled dog AK Chained dog
Jun. 1997 (1) St. Bernard WI Unsupervised child
Jun. 1997 (1) Mixed breed GA Attacked elderly owner
Jun. 1997 (1) Rottweiler CA Elderly woman entered yard w/dog
Jul. 1997 (1) Pit bull NY Trying to protect his dog
Jul. 1997 (1) Mixed CA Aunt's dog
Aug. 1997 (1) Pit-bull-type FL Boy running from dog
Sept.1997 (1) Rottweiler CA Aunt's dog
Oct. 1997 (3) GrDn & Mixed TX Loose roaming dogs
Oct. 1997 (2) Pit-bull-type TX Feeding nephew's dogs
Dec. 1997 (4) Rotts & Lab AL Unsupervised child
Dec. 1997 (2) Rottweilers GA Unsupervised child

Jan. 1998 (3) Pit-bull-type NC Neighbor's loose dogs
Jan. 1998 (1) St. Bernard KY Unsupervised child
Mar. 1998 (1) Rottweiler TN Chained dog
Jun. 1998 (1) Mixed CO Family dog
Sept.1998 (2) Rottweilers CA Trained attack dogs
Sept.1998 (3) Mastiff & StB NC Climbed into dogs' yard
Sept.1998 (2) Pit bulls MI Attacked neighor - owner in prison
Oct. 1998 (1) Rottweiler GA Guard dog
Oct. 1998 (1) Rottweiler AR Grandmother's dog

Jan. 1999 (1) Rottweiler IL Unsupervised child
Feb. 1999 (1) Chow X OR Chained dog
Feb. 1999 (2) Mix breeds WI Newly acquired dogs
Feb. 1999 (2) Mix breeds MT Uncle's dogs
Feb. 1999 (1) Pit-bull-type CA Unsupervised child w/guard dog
Feb. 1999 (1) Pit-bull-type GA Highly aggressive due to owner
Mar. 1999 (1) Airedale Terr KS Infant death
Mar. 1999 (?) Stray dogs OK Loose roaming dogs
Apr. 1999 (1) Husky NC Chained dog
May 1999 (1) Sled dog AK Chained dog
Jun. 1999 (1) Briard WA Daughter's dog
Jun. 1999 (1) Mixed CA Babysitter's dog
Jul. 1999 (4) Pit bulls FL Newly acquired dogs
Aug. 1999 (1) SharPei/Chow X TX Chained dog
Aug. 1999 (1) Rottweiler WI Newly acquired dog
Aug. 1999 (1) Bulldog X TN Chained dog
Aug. 1999 (1) Wolf dog MI Child playing in yard
Sept.1999 (2) Rottweilers LA Father's dogs
Oct. 1999 (10) Mixed KY Unsupervised child
Oct. 1999 (1) Gr. Shep X CA Infant death
Oct. 1999 (1) Gr.Shepherd ME Child tripped on sleeping dog
Oct. 1999 (2) Chow & Dachs MD Infant in baby swing
Oct. 1999 (1) Rottweiler AR Chained dog
Nov. 1999 (2) Mixed AZ Loose roaming dogs
Dec. 1999 (2) Pit bulls SC Loose roaming dogs

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Since were in Texas could all you Texans look out your window, take a deep breath and tell me what kind of place Austin is, i was offered a job there but I want tree's and water, no adobie huts and cowboys living in the desert.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sorry we overran this post with old statistics...it was supposed to be about that poor Chow that didn't even have a chance. She's running free at the rainbow bridge by now.

Jeff, I have a feeling you'd like Austin. From what I know, it's a very liberal, progressive city...very into recycling and saving the environment. Austin has lakes and lots of parks. You'll have sticker price shock coming from California...Texas' cost of living is very comfortable. You'll just have to get used to measuring distance in time rather than miles (i.e. Austin is about 45 minutes from San Antonio). Between SA and Austin are some great places to go toobing on the rivers - Guadalupe and Comal - great fun in the summer time.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Austin is Hill Country. Beautiful. Many lakes and a fair amount of trees. The humidity sucks, so does the traffic but it is pretty.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

You are a real piece of work Jeff, have those blinders on don't ya. Jeff said Chows don't kill people, that is why I posted that. There were two years in a row that the Chow was at the top of the list for attacking people in Texas, and Chow mixes were a few places down. All of this is about the Chow that was in the shelter that got put down. When you have a breed that is perceived to be dangerous, and more so in a particular state, there is little chance of it making it out of the shelter alive. Now go stick your heads back in the sand and have a wonderful rest of the day!
Sam

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

The high rates in CA and TX reflect the fact that they are more people living there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U. ... population

Is there any statistic of dogs being killed per state I wonder.....
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote:You are a real piece of work Jeff, have those blinders on don't ya. Jeff said Chows don't kill people, that is why I posted that. There were two years in a row that the Chow was at the top of the list for attacking people in Texas, and Chow mixes were a few places down. All of this is about the Chow that was in the shelter that got put down. When you have a breed that is perceived to be dangerous, and more so in a particular state, there is little chance of it making it out of the shelter alive. Now go stick your heads back in the sand and have a wonderful rest of the day!
As always learn to read, no where did I say Chows have never killed anyone what I said was not killed anyone enough to be branded a killer beast or number one on a human killer list, if anything they would be the last to kill of any breed including yappers.

The reason Chows are put down so fast and preceived as dangerouse is becouse people believe this stuff you are posting they never owned a chow so all they have to go by is what they hear and read. You can bet there are hundreds of people out there reading and agreeing with you as they read this but have never owned or been around a Chow in their life. Insurance companies feed off these beliefs, they don't know the difference between a Chow or a Cat, the more dogs that make the dangerouse list the more money they make.

Is it easier to pull you head out of the sand or in your case out of your A^s?
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage