General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tahla9999
Rank 0
Rank 0

What made you chose a Chow.

Post by Tahla9999 »

New here!

I just wanted to know what made you chose the chow as your heart dog. Give me the stories. Me, my dad ended up getting us a chow mix and he was a big surprise for all of us. His name is Chochi.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What made you chose a Chow.

Post by Laura »

My highschool (and after) sweetheart had always wanted a Chow so when we ran across one while on vacation we bought it. I didn't know a thing about them at the time. This was in the 80's and unfortunately we bought him at a petstore and he turned out to be quite the handful (mean as the dickens to EVERYONE but us) but I fell in love. I've never owned another breed of dog since and will have one or two the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong there are other breeds that I like such as newfies and malamutes but I'm a Chow owner...it's just part of who I am.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
chris

Post by chris »

I like these kinds of questions.
Lets see.. all started with my first chow. (I have had 3 now). Grizz was a product of "oops" and was going to be put in a box and then put on a door step of a pet shop... X hubby couldn't have that so he took her before they did that. (some friends of his I guess). He brought her home and showed me and I fell in love with her. She was not a pure bread, but looked exacly like an open faced black chow. Then, within my young ingnorance, bread her with another Chow Mix although he was absolutely HUGE... he was chow/lab mix. Anyway, Grizz ended up having 7 puppies.... even I couldn't believe it... we kept the largest male (Thor) who was the sweetest thing on earth. No other will ever replace him. Now mind you, Grizz had more of the Chow personality.. stuborn, loyal, love to only her family and whom she chose really, big time runner and so on... Thor on the other hand more submissive (except towards strangers) watched the kids like a hawk (standing at the school bus stop with them, making sure the got on bus and walking back to the door :-) ) Grizz = 50 lbs... Thor = 85 lbs. This time around, I decided I wanted to have a PB. Along came Steel. He is a blue chow from TX. Stuborn, handsome, loveable, smart, will NOT fetch.. "he thinks your the idiot for throwing anything away in the first place.. YOU go get it".. protective, yet loves my kids and watches out for them. Loves other dogs and wants to play but for some reason they do not want to play with him.. except new big brother GS chief and little sister Roxi Pomerainian.
Chows are different. They have their own mind. Some people will say they are dumb... but who is dumb? the one trying to make the chow "sit"? or the chow looking at you like.. "make me" ;-) The one throwing the ball... or the one saying.. "why did you throw the ball... YOU go get it"... They know when you need comforting, they know when you need protection, they know when you should be weary of a certain person and when you should just JUMP in with both feet. All 3 of my chows /chowmix's have had different temperments and personalities yet all challenging and wonderful. WHO wants a dog to be absolutely obediant with no mind of its own... that would be like ME being obediant to everyone and what they say and not having a mind of my own. All that.. and not to mention the beauty of them alone. They come in differnt sizes, colors and fur length...different faces different statures... yet all... ALL BEAUTIFUL...and willfull! I will never ever forget any of my chows... and will have more in the future! I have all of their first baby teeth that they had lost, they each have a "chow book" (baby book) and I have some lovely pictures (portraites if you will) of them which will be put up on the wall soon enough. They are not only part of my family but part of my soul!
Tahla9999
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tahla9999 »

chris wrote:I like these kinds of questions.
Lets see.. all started with my first chow. (I have had 3 now). Grizz was a product of "oops" and was going to be put in a box and then put on a door step of a pet shop... X hubby couldn't have that so he took her before they did that. (some friends of his I guess). He brought her home and showed me and I fell in love with her. She was not a pure bread, but looked exacly like an open faced black chow. Then, within my young ingnorance, bread her with another Chow Mix although he was absolutely HUGE... he was chow/lab mix. Anyway, Grizz ended up having 7 puppies.... even I couldn't believe it... we kept the largest male (Thor) who was the sweetest thing on earth. No other will ever replace him. Now mind you, Grizz had more of the Chow personality.. stuborn, loyal, love to only her family and whom she chose really, big time runner and so on... Thor on the other hand more submissive (except towards strangers) watched the kids like a hawk (standing at the school bus stop with them, making sure the got on bus and walking back to the door :-) ) Grizz = 50 lbs... Thor = 85 lbs. This time around, I decided I wanted to have a PB. Along came Steel. He is a blue chow from TX. Stuborn, handsome, loveable, smart, will NOT fetch.. "he thinks your the idiot for throwing anything away in the first place.. YOU go get it".. protective, yet loves my kids and watches out for them. Loves other dogs and wants to play but for some reason they do not want to play with him.. except new big brother GS chief and little sister Roxi Pomerainian.
Chows are different. They have their own mind. Some peole will say they are dumb... but who is dumb? the one trying to make the chow "sit"? or the chow looking at you like.. "make me" ;-) The one throwing the ball... or the one saying.. "why did you throw the ball... YOU go get it"... They know when you need comforting, they know when you need protection, they know when you should be weary of a certain person and when you should just JUMP in with both feet. All 3 of my chows /chowmix's have had different temperments and personalities yet all challenging and wonderful. WHO wants a dog to be absolutely obediant with no mind of its own... that would be like ME being obediant to everyone and what they say and not having a mind of my own. All that.. and not to mention the beauty of them alone. They come in differnt sizes, colors and fur length...different faces different statures... yet all... ALL BEAUTIFUL...and willfull! I will never ever forget any of my chows... and will have more in the future! I have all of their first baby teeth that they had lost, they each have a "chow book" (baby book) and I have some lovely pictures (portraites if you will) of them which will be put up on the wall soon enough. They are not only part of my family but part of my soul!
=D= Great post. It just shows the chow personality!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Tahla and Chochi,

Welcome!!

We want pics (haven't checked to see if you've posted any, BUT-- if you haven't -- it's a 'requirement' here :) )

We adopted Kodi (our chow/gsd mix) after the passing of our heart girl Shadie (akita/gsd). Didn't have any idea what a ChowChow was, but fell in love at first sight. She is wonderful for our family, loves our friends and family, aloof yes-but so sweet in her own way, a great guarddog when she deems necessary (which is fine). I just LOVE her personality. She is 99% chow in personality and behavior and we're so glad she's in our lives.

Again, welcome -- and a great topic!!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

I know this sounds crazy but every time I saw Martha Stewart's chow I thought wow, now that's a beautiful dog. I didn't set out to get a dog but a co-worker brought her chow puppies to work one day. She said she had a few that weren't spoken for. The rest is history. Kona is almost 8. He's a great guy who follows me around and makes sure I'm OK.

We are now looking into adopting another chow puppy, hopefully this little girl will follow my son around :)

Love the comment about fetching the ball, soooo true.

Shelly
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

I have had chows since the early 80's, I got my first chow from a police officer whom use to take chang to work with him. They were moving overseas and could not take him with them, Chang already knew me which wasnt so stressful on him when he came to live with me, but he did miss his dad at first but soon fitted in. Every since then I have always had chows. I wouldnt be without them.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
schnauziechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by schnauziechow »

I was mesmerised by Mini schnauzers from young and gotten my first one 7yrs ago. Till date I still love. But I set my eyes on Chows when I first saw one in a pet shop. Very lovely and a mini lion he was. I read up on the breed, wantin to be sure that I can handle this breed which obviously is v diff from Schnauzers. And now ,I have 2 MS and 2 Chows and no regrets! :D
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

My love of chows is because of our chowmix named Bear. My husband looked down one day while trout fishing, and there was this black fluffy puppy! He didn't see any houses nearby, and the puppy would not leave him, followed him where ever he went while fishing(showing his stubborn side already!). As he went to the car to leave, the puppy followed him and was quite near the road. Not wanting him to get hit, my husband brought him home. I didn't notice the puppy tucked in the crook of his arm right away, but when I did, I almost fell off the couch! He was the cutest thing I had ever seen!! Of course we kept him and I adored him always. He and I seemed to have a bond no one else did. He knew me and I knew him. We were the best of friends. He was never at all mean. If he didn't like something, he would make a little noise of disgust and then walk away. Even when he got old. He was stubborn, terribly strong, noble and beautiful. I miss him still. We never knew what other breed/breeds he was mixed with, but we knew he had chow because his tongue was mostly black. I could go on and on with more stories of him, but I have to stop. He was my darling boy, and it is because of him that I will always love chows.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

This is the story I wrote, that has been published in the book Timeless Chows, I wrote it many years ago, in 1972 to be exact this is what made me get a chow and then lots of chows over the last 30 years.
WHAT DOG
This was the question I asked myself when I set my eyes on the first Chow chow I had ever seen.
Often I would see these beautiful animals riding around on the back of a bakkie, through the streets of Ladysmith and I was overawed by them. They were the most beautiful dogs I had ever seen.
One day while I was working in a book shop, the owner of the Chows a Mr. Prinsloo parked his van outside and came into the shop to order a book. I plucked up the courage to ask him just what kind of dogs He bred. To answer my question he went out to his van and brought in The most beautiful six-month-old puppy I had ever seen. He told me he had just imported this dog from the United Kingdom and that his name was Hanoi Tazu of Karloo. Now at that time I had no idea of what his title meant but I could see that he really was one of the best, and it was then that I decided that I too would one day own a Chow Chow like Tazu.
Today almost 10 years later I do own a dog like Tazu and I am very fond of her. She may not be a Champion but I know that she is one of the best Chows in South Africa today and that she will hopefully be able to be the mother of future champions.
Tazu was a red Chow and as a small puppy looked like a lovely red Teddy bear, and it is thanks to Mr Prinsloo that my interest in these lovely animals grew. I don't know if Tazu is still alive, but on going through many of the Kennel Union's old records, I came across an entry that he had become a Champion.
You can just imagine the lovely sight I saw when I saw those Chow Chows riding around on the back of the bakkie, their fur shining red in the bright sunlight. They were the only Chow Chows in Ladysmith at the time and I felt that they were a very special kind of dog, to be owned by very special people.
Today I know that Chow Chow's are owned by very special people, and it is only Chowists that love and understand these fantastic animals I am pleased to say that I have made many very good friends amongst the Chow World. I have also been able to sell my special puppies to people who love the breed as much as I do.Chow Chows in my home are like my children and are so treated, they are given the best of care, and I never stint on medical care. A rise in temperature will be taken to our Vet for a Checkup.
Mr. Prinsloo you were the start of my love for these dogs and my first chow although not a pedigree was a very special animal. (See Kimiko's story) Since those days I have owned many Chow Chows
And it is now with thanks to Mr. Johan Naude, Mr. Andries and Lia Du Toit and Mr. and Mrs. Myburg, that I have been able to put my Kennel name on the Map. I am very grateful to all you wonderful friends and hope that our Chow Chow's will go from strength to Strength.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Well, I grew up hearing how bad Chows were, and never wanted one. Then I got married, and my DH said he wanted a chow ( he had a chow mix as a kid and loved him). I was completely against it, I didn't want a dog that was unsafe around kids, that wasn't friendly...ya know...the usual horribly wrong misconceptions about Chows, but he wanted one so bad that I did some research (which is when I found this site), and learned how good Chows can be with kids, and basically all those misconceptions that I had were all wrong, and so I agreed to get Buddha. He's "my" dog (or I'm "his" person...whatever), and I love him so much! In fact we are hopefully going to be getting another Chow soon! Buddha needs a friend \:D/
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I saw my first red chow as a youngster. I wanted one, parents said no. I also loved poodles. My dream was to go to Paris and walk along the Champs Elisee (sp) walking a black poodle ( I was 13 ).

Years ago I watched Martha Stewart's show and wanted a chow. I spent all summer searching for a rescue. I saw a notice on a board at PetValu that a 2 year old chow needs to be rehomed. I called the people, the foster mom said she'd deliver the chow to me. I waited 3 weeks. When Luna was brought to my house, she was skinny, shaven, ribs sticking out, extremely agitated. This wild thing certainly didn't look like one of Martha Stewart's chows. I was hugely disappointed. The chow had had puppies, reason for the delay of bringing her to my house.

Months later the chow's hair grew back, she put on weight, calmed down a bit and was the most beautiful dog on earth. Luna was smart, protective, knew how to deal with people, ignored the bad humans. She snapped at a friend's arm when he was bold enough to place his hand on my knee. He was history, Luna didn't care for him and neither did I. She let a dog know whether she wanted that dog's friendship....usually it was a no. She didn't care to run around the park with ordinary mutts. That was below her. Sadly she was getting tired on this earth and left me for a better, kinder world in the summer of 2006. Not for long was I alone, 3 months later Mikki chow decided she liked it here. She's different from my first chow but has also found a spot in my heart and is my favourite furry friend at the moment.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I grew up with dogs in the house and when I left home (was thrown out by my bipolar father for leaving the radio on when I went to work) I had to leave my baby Star (a 70lb female Keeshond, PB but evidently a mutant, showed her in conformation as a pup and she did well until she got too big). Shortly thereafter I met and fell in love with the man who is now my husband. He had never had a dog and it took me ten years to convince him that we should have one. Then he went out and bought a coffee table book of dog breeds and choose the pictures of his favorites. After reading the profiles he chose a chow because they were beautiful, aloof, and did not have high energy and for a bonus had a black tongue.

So I set to work to find a chow puppy (assuming PB's never made it to shelters). I asked my parents vet about breeders and they gave me the name and number of a client that had a litter. (Turns out they were BYB's but I didn't know the difference then). There was one puppy left, a black female 12 weeks old. That's how Chana came into our lives. At twelve weeks she was already housebroken and the only time in her 13 years that she had an accident in the house was when she was taking steriods (which increase thirst/water consumption/voiding) and I didn't think to take her to doggie daycare when I left for work. She was an adorable little Teddy Bear at 20lbs when we brought her home and she grew to 60lbs at a healthy weight as an adult. The first night I tried leaving her in the kitchen but she cried and I "had to" bring her into the bedroom with us. She was a perfect little lady and didn't chew on anything that wasn't hers, with one exception: one day she chewed the TV remote and a bic pen on my vintage danish modern leather couch! She learned sit and down and heel wonderfully at obedience training (never heeled outdoors though). She was perfect to our eyes! And we were hooked forever on the chow.

We took her back to she the "breeders" a couple of times in her first year and when we took her back 1 year from her gotcha date they had another litter. Those cute little babies touched my heart and Tasha (another black female - all the girls were black) joined our family when she reached 10 weeks. Full sisters - expected her to be just like Chana (why? my brother and I are as different as can be) and she wasn't. She was full of mischief, (Tigger's naughty escapades were so reminescent) seemed difficult to housebreak (took a whole month, which seemed like forever since Chana came already housebroken) and just a little devil from the get-go. She chewed everything: furniture, woodwork, books, even the plaster wall and just in minutes. She and I were playing with a squeaky ball (not fetch of course) and the phone rang, I answered it and when I came back the ball was gone, couldn't find it anywhere, then I noticed she was chewing, took a small piece of the ball out of her mouth (she ate the rest), frantic call to the vet, "watch for it to come out", multiple calls over time, "just wait it'll make it". 3 weeks later she threw up the ball pieces, 4 cotton swabs, 2 pony tail elastics, and a small superball. (I have short hair and we have no kids, don't know where that stuff even came from). And the two played and played and played.

Cinder and Teddy are rescues (hopefully I'm making up for funding the backyard breeders in the past) and both came to us as adults. Each chow has their own personality but all are willful, independent, beautiful, protective and devoted to the humans in the house.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Chows choose my family instead of us choosing them. My family had never had a dog until I was in 8th grade. One night when my mom, sisters and I were out shopping, we came out of a store and there was a little black fluff ball left in a box in a shopping cart in the parking lot. There was no way we could leave her there, so she came home with us. My dad did not want a dog...with good reasons. He and my mom had four girls with the oldest in 9th grade. We were busy, already had numerous cats, and no fence in our yard, but my dad's never been good at telling four daughters and a wife they couldn't keep the little puppy everyone had already fallen in love with. Zoe became an intricate part of our family. She was technically not full chow, we are guessing she is a chow/GSD mix but purebred has never been a concern with us. She instantly became my dad's dog. She loved all of us, but there was no comparison between the relation she and my dad had. Zoe only lived to be about six years old. After a progressive health problem we let Zoe go. We had lost pets before, but there was no comparision to loosing her. My dad decide no more dogs and no one argued with him because we were all so devestated by loosing her that another dog was not what any of us wanted. When I think back on it now though, up to that point, we had never really considered Zoe's breed. She was a big, black, furry dog to us. I don't remember anyone ever saying to us that, "ooh, you have a chow." Two weeks after we lost Zoe, my dad called on a Sunday from his National Guard drill weekends to tell my mom that he had found a dog, it was coming home with him. They wanted to see how things went. What he brought home really didn't resemble a chow much. The dog was a complete mess. She was loosing hair in places, what haid she did have was completely sunburnt and thin. She was covered in some of the largest ticks I had ever seen accomanied by enough fleas for five dogs. She had worms, which that on top of the beeforoni the men my dad works with had fed her for lunch had swelled her belly up to make her look like a little pot belly pig. Regardless of her appearance, we were instantly in love. It was at that time people started to comment about the breeds, mostly because two weeks after loosing our first homeless black chow, we found another one. It was just meant to be. While our family loved Zoe, with Tess, we got to experience what chows were really about. Tess is all chow through and through. Tess is an extremely smart chow girl (not as smart as Zoe but you would be hard pressed to find a dog as smart as Zoe...that's for another story). She is aloof as they come, perfering to sit in an empty room and watch our family instead of sitting with us. She is my dad's dog, I don't know what she would do without him. She is protective over our home and over her family, but she has never shown any kind of aggression at all. She is also one of the most tolerant dogs...she doesn't like to be fussed over, but will let us or the vet do what ever we need to with nothing more than a heavy sigh...just so we know she's annoyed. Our third chow came just last year. We stuck a collie in between our chow girls. We've never been a family that had the option of picking our new pets, they have always found us which is were my collie Tacia came in (she is of course my dad's dog also :roll: ). Fiona kind of found us also. If it weren't for this website, my family would have never met Fiona, who stole our hearts in only a few hours. Fortunately, Fiona is my dog...it never mattered to her that my parents adopted her, she is mine through and through.

I can't say I will always have chows. I love all dogs, I usually take in what needs me most, but chows and collies are definately my first two choices of dogs and I'm sure there will always be one or twenty that need me.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

When we decided to get a dog I was thinking small maltese type thing as I have never owned a dog before I thought it would be easier to have a little one. OH said 'Look if we're gonna get a dog, it's gonna be a proper dog!' So the internet breed search started. It didn't take long before I came across pictures and descriptions of Chows. Well my heart was stolen and my mind made up. The books were borrowed from the library (and later purchased) and 6 months later we found Henry. We have had Henry now for a year and a half and I never want another breed of dog. He is so funny and so cheeky, we all love him and his huffs and puffs and funny noises so much. I can't imagine ever being without a Chow in my home again.
Thank you Sweatpea
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

Whike looking for a small dog for my daughter and grandkids we went to the shelter in Louisiana and checked out the dogs. They were all grown and we really were looking for a puppy. We noticed some pups that were not yet ready for adoption and one claimed me by urinating on my knee. She was just the sweetest but looked like she would be bigger than what my daughter wanted but it was love at first sight for me. They said she was a chow but is obviously a mix (matters not) and I had to have her. CC joined our family about 6 weeks ago. I already love her. It has been several years since I have had a dog since my last one died of old age (16 yrs) 3 years ago and we had moved into an apartment due to change of jobs to another state and we were non longer living in our house. I just thohught having a pet in an apartment would be too hard. CC won me over though and we are making it work. I did not make a choice to get a Chow (MIX) it just happened.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

We unexpectedly found ourselves without a dog 8 years ago when our nine year old boxer Meggy, died very quickly in the middle of the night of a massive heart attack.
We were heartbroken and started to think about another dog almost immediately.
We had always admired chow chows but knew very little about them so we set about researching the breed. We spoke to many breeders and read articles and kennel club literature and eventually found there was a litter of chow babies in Cumbria.
There were four dogs and two bitches so we bought one of the bitches and we were enchanted with her. We called her Milly.
Four a half months later, when she was just 6 months old, we found out that the other bitch needed a home so we bought her too and called her Mabel. When we went to pick her up we took Milly with us and when they met, we are sure they recognised each other because, even though there were several other adult chows around, they went to each other and sniffed each other then they cried and licked each other and have been inseparable since.
They are now 7.5 yrs. old and absolutely adore each other. If one goes out into the garden, she waits for the other. If they are called in, the first one in will stop and wait at the door and turn to see if the other is coming. If one goes out first, when the other goes out, they will meet and kiss each other.
They are wonderful. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chris

Post by chris »

Judy.. I just love your stories about your "baggages".. ;-) They are 2 of a kind.. never to find anything like them again thats for sure! You are lucky and so are they!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

They are the most beautiful creatures in the world Chris! I do worry a bit about them though because one of these days, one is going to leave us for the Happy Hunting Grounds and the other will be left - I worry about that!
Maybe the one left will understand and grieve like Miss Pooh Bear did for Zhu - or maybe she will just give up and follow. I worry! :?
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

One look is all it took - all three times!

Actually, Honey was my first chow - I didn't know what she was, I just saw this puppy (@ 6 months old) foraging along the side of the Highway and fell in love with her. We took her home, and I couldn't believe what a good girl she was - housebroken, didn't chew, didn't get into the garbage, didn't jump on the furniture, not real pesty, content to just lay there and be with me. Found out a few days later just HOW housebroken she was - she tried to get out the window while I was at work because she had diarrhea so bad, then woke me up in the middle of the night with the same thing - turned out she had parvo, but I was already hooked on her, so out came the plastic and I told the vet do whatever you can to save her! She was part of my life for the next 15 years. Everyone told me she was a chow, and probably a PB at that. Didn't care what she was, I just thought she was beautiful inside and out!

Next came Ralph - he wandered into our yard about a year later, and he stood between two huge German Shepards and a small black dog that was in heat - she kept running behind him to get away from the GSDs, lol! He was matted, filled with fleas and god knows what else, and his jaw was crooked, and he was missing most of his bottom teeth, but he was a sweetheart. Took him to the vet to get fixed up and walked out about $400 poorer - worth every cent. He was part of the family for the next 13 years until he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He had a black tongue, and those straight hindlegs, but a smile like a Samoyed. Still don't know if he was a PB or a mix, and don't care.

After Honey died this past Christmas, I decided no more dogs - at least for a while, but if I got one, it would have to be a little dog because I have a bad back and it was really heavy carrying Honey out to the car on that last car ride, even though she was only 37 pounds (usually around 43). Then I started searching for dogs that do well in apartments and don't need a lot of time with their people. All the little breeds apparently get upset and start acting out if they're left alone for any length of time; a lot of them are very active and need a place to run ... chow, chow started whispering through my brain, and the next thing I knew I was on petfinder.com looking for chows. I saw Brandy's picture and that was it for me again! And she is everything that the other two were - She's as good as Honey was (Ralph, having lived on the street longer than Honey, WAS a garbage fiend!), and litle friendlier,like Ralph (Honey would allow me to pet her for a minute or two, then move on - Ralph loved getting loved on)

I couldn't ask for a better companion, or a sweeter doggie! I hope that some day Brandy comes to feel the same way about me - right now, she's still missing her former person and thinks the lady at the end of my apartment building is her - she drags me down to her door then sits and waits for her to open it!
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

She chose me.

I had finally gotten the ok from my landlord to have a dog. I'd checked out (and gotten rejected by) local shelters when I remembered a dog rescue in the town I used to live in.
I checked out their web page and had originally fallen in love with an older GSD. Once my application was approved I learned that that particular dog was in a trial adoption (the dogs spend some time with the new family to see how they "click".) The woman who runs the rescue invited me down to check out the other dogs there. When I arrived I learned that the dog I had expressed an interest in was on his way back to the rescue (too active for their toddler.) However Chloe, who had been scrunched up and watching warily from a corner walked over and nudged my hand for some attention. She looked so scared and unhappy. While checking out the other dogs on site Chloe stayed by my side. That was it. She was making sure I didn't even think about bringing home anyone else :wink: She came home with me on a trial adoption basis but by the second day I contacted the woman at the rescue and told her the only way Chloe would be moved again would be if I moved; she was staying with me.
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

They really chose me. :lol:

My parents had had a chow or 2 before I came along but when I was about 2 they set out to get a puppy. So they looked and look until they found a breeder somewhere that's like 2 hours away from us now. :shock: The lady told them that she had 2 litters and that they could come see them(I swear my mom wanted to take them all home :lol: ). They chose a little black male(Cinder) who was the "runt". I grew up with him for 2 years, then tragidy dtruck when he passed away due to a heat stroke. :cry:

We didn't have a dog at all for 3-4 years, and not another chow 6-7 years. That's when my cousin got Tippsy. But when she found it unfit to leave her locked up in a kennel for 10 hours a day she gave Tippsy to her mom. My mom and dad took me over to visit with family one night and that was the first time me and Tippsy met. :D We bonder almost immediatly. But I couldn't take her home just like that... :evil: It took about a month for Tippsy to come and live with us. My dad brough her home "for my mom" but she was MY dog. :lol: And I'm hooked. I don't think I'll ever be without another chow.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
daddysgirl1977d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daddysgirl1977d »

i saw this post an had to reply to it

I grew up with labs and goldens .. they were always so sweet and i had my child hood lab which i brought with me when i got married and one day right after christmas about 11 yrs ago i happen to hear all this barking from a neighbors yard so i looked outside and saw all these fuzzy lil things running around .. they looked like little puffs of fur lol .. so i noticed the neighbor was out there so i walked our in my pjs (it was early ) and i asked what they were what breed and how big would they get .. ( we were looking for pup but were goin to get another lab lol ) well there was this one lil black one he was so small and i asked about him and the owner said oh we will probably put this one down he was the runt of the litter and wasnt as healthy as the others and we wouldnt be able to sell him and had no room for the dog at their home .. so i was like oh so your not getting rid of that one ? i will never forget what he said to me " nope no one wants the runt of the litter .. and he is good for nothing " my heart broke .. i ran in the house and told chris and told him come out back an look at this lil dog .. an i told him he looks like a lil black bear so i walked over and said look the one right there looks like a bear well the dog walked over to the fence and me being me picked him up .. the owner was like yea hes very friendly and loves ppl so i said to the guy can i just have him since u are putting him to sleep i will give him a home (bear was only 6 weeks old ) he was like well he has to go to the vet and blah blah blah .. i was like ok i have a dog i no how they work .. well bear was and still is in perfect health .. the vet i took him to said there was no reason for the dog to be put down .. i have had bear every since .. he is the most friendly dog and loves his family .. and he has been there for the kids and us in our time of need .. and he is most certainly the best dog i have ever had .. it has been since that day i told chris that i would never get another breed that we were chow parents and he agreeed .. well i am happy to say that i can across another chow last august .. she just turn one last month (princess ) and her other parents werent taken care of her so i took her .. she was very shy and hated men at first .. but with a lil love and time she has become a wonderful member of our family and her and bear are wonderful together .. ( i will however say i had her fixed due to not wanting a little of pups lol ) but yea i new nothing about these dogs 11 yrs ago .. and just couldnt understand why someone would put bear under .. so my heart lead me to my first chow chow .. and i am please to say i think it will stay with the breed for the rest of my life ..
well thats my story about what made me choose a chow ..
have a great day
Kristy
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Lovely story Kristy.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

When I was in the 4th grade. My dad came home from work with what seemed like the biggest, fluffiest thing I had ever seen. He was being rehomed. Chan was my first dog/chow. He was great, he would follow me around with my shirt-tail in his mouth so he could keep closer tabs on me. He died when I was in 12th grade. I was crushed. It was so sad that If I went into the backyard I came in crying. Eventually my parents were crying everytime they saw me crying. Months later my brother (who was away at college) decided he would put an end to it. He got me a chow puppy for christmas. This was my first ever puppy. He was such a sick little thing buy my best bud all the way!! He was with us until about 6 years ago. Once again I was heartbroken, although I was living farther away I still missed seeing him when I would go home to visit. I was in the process of trying to bring him over with me but decided he was probably better off at his home. Then about 4 years ago after getting married I decided it was time. That is how I ended up with Butters who is by far the weirdest chow I have ever had, and I love every minute of it!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!