to the rescue again....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

to the rescue again....

Post by kingalls »

Must be rescue month...while doing my feral cat feeding rounds, I found a box with 3 little kittens in it - next to the food bins at one of the cat stations...I was thinking the mom would be somewhere near but when I checked on them this morning - they were still there without any mom...So now I will be spending at least this weekend caring for these little ones (so cute, of course) until the local no-kill shelter can find foster homes and/or get them adopted.
:( I just don't understand people being so cruel to animals.

Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

People can be so cruel. Even though some shelters are not no kill, kittens do have a higher chance of adoption. You were meant to be their angel, Karen.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Be carefull when you hear a shelter say they are no kill, I know 2 Shelters, Vallejo is one that says they are a no kill shelter, that's becouse they send the dogs/cats out to fairfield to be killed.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yeh, but for me, sometimes to choose to put vulnerable kittens in a box and then leave them out somewhere (in a field I'm presume) to fend for themselves is far more cruel than bringing them to a kill/no kill shelter where they have a better chance of being hand fed, possibly adopted or possibly be rescued by an outside or sister rescue organization.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It depends on the shelters, who's running it, the staff and the volunteer's, I'm sure Hollister isn't like that but some of the big city shelters think they are running Auschwitz a Nazi concentration camp, Lets get those chambers gassed up, the animals would be better off fending for them selves on the streets. When you have prisoners and volunters that arn't screened working in the Shelter I don't think you can expect the most caring atmosphere.

From what I see in LA shelters they have a death list that comes out everyday.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Indeed Jeff and point taken... However, I still would opt for bringing kittens to a shelter (if I couldn't find them homes or place them with a local rescue org) than to leave them in a box to fend for themselves. They may survive, they may not. If they survive, they are unfixed and will mate and more kittens are born and they become feral, unfixed cats and then Karen and others will have more to feed and worry about. The cycle continues with the circle growing larger. Again, point taken.