Geting a Chow to look you in the eye's

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

My stepchow Max likes to smell our morning breath. Yuch :-8 ! No kisses though, but I can't say I blame him. :wink:
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It's odd, the things Chow's like to smell. Lily likes my husband's stinky feet, and she LOVES to Chew the crotch out of his dirty underwear! [-X
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Sophie's never been a begger, never greedy about food at all, but she likes to smell whatever I'm eating. I often hold the food out for her to smell, but that's not what she's looking for... it has to be on my breath.
She is also a connoisseur of fine hand lotions. 8)

I've never had the problem of her not looking at me, she always seems to do her communicating with her eyes... joy when we're walking and exploring, anxiety when she's unsure of a situation and seeking assurance, chagrin when she's done something she thinks or knows I won't approve of. It surprises me that anyone has difficulty getting their chows to make eye contact, but this is my first chow, and I'm not always sure what's "chow" or "not so chow" as far as her behavior goes.

One fun thing to try with your chow (if they are so inclined to look at you) is "mirroring". Sophie will lie next to a chair opposite the sofa where I sit and stare at me sometimes when she's about to take a nap. If I wink my right eye, she'll wink her left. If I wink my left eye, she'll wink her right one. If I blink both eyes, she'll do the same. If I blink my eyes slowly, shutting my eyes, she'll mirror that also, and usually go to sleep.
Of course, it is entirely possible that she's just bored by the game. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

All my chows have looked at me just fine from across the room, up close if I wasn't holding them, but the moment I have to clean eyes, look at teeth or ears or anything where I'm holding their heads and looking at them, they'll look away slightly. When I release my hold they will look back at me even if the distance remains the same.

Maybe it's that when I'm holding their heads I'm generally holding them under the chin and that's a dominant thing, kind of like a dominant dog holding them by the throat, though I'm careful not to aply presure..but it might feel the same to them, so they drop their gaze instinctively to diffuse it.
Just speculating here...
So Jeff, when you're examining Pekoe's throat and nose where are your hands?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Victory, Thats probably what the problem is, I have one hand under her mouth (chin i guess) and one hand on her nose trying to open her mouth and force her to look at me at the same time.
chris

Post by chris »

I never noticed if Steel looked at me in the eyes or not. So, I checked it out. He looks at me in the eye when I call his name, or when he has a toy in his mouth, or when I have food in my hand. (the food in the hand he looks at me, then the food, then at me, then the food.. :roll: go figure)

:lol:
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

what a great topic. I have also noticed this over the years with both my chows. When he does look at me, ever so rarely, I see that Bones has the most beautiful tiger eyes. I melt...

Debbie and Bones
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

You got it in one Debbie - I look into M & M's eyes and just see the love there - when the haughty look is on the chow face and the arrogant stance, you still spot the love in the eyes. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)