Chow Book

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mandy, would it be better to send the photos in tiff?
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

OK here's how I feel about donating the proceeds from our number 1 best seller! First, I feel a part of it should rightly go to chowchow.org... that's why we are a family now. Then to chow rescues and then I liked the emergency fund Jeff suggested. That one really hit home when I thought Koda's entropion surgery was going to cost me mega bucks. BTW... his eye is getting so much better. I am so happy.
Mandy, I agree, we can work together to give the web site the same look as the book. I am so excited.
Judy and Mandy,
I have 3 days off this weekend (Yippee.... a paid holiday Monday!) so I will get photos and stories sent to both of you then.
Nancy and Tai

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Mandy wrote:Please let me know if anyone can take care of putting together a release!
I have one that might work... had to sign one a couple of weeks ago and forgot that they sent it to me via e-mail. I can probably do some tweeks on it to cover both image, property (our chows), names and stories but need some basic info like a title of our project here to customize the release. Once it's done, I'll e-mail Mandy and Judy regarding its distribution (so everyone just has to sign one form). But unfortunately, I have something pressing to accomplish and this has to take a back seat for a few days... sorry. Anyone have a lawyer or a barrister in their family.
Blondie
Rank 0
Rank 0

The story of our old girl

Post by Blondie »

Our chow chow came us from family friends when their five years old son was diagnosed with severe case of dog allergy. The results came in at eleven a.m., we got the call for help at two p.m. and after a short teleconference with my husband we were unanomys in rescuing the chow from eternal sleep.
The family´s mom had already started to overreact and clean the house like crazy, and the dog had been sent outside where she was clearly wondering what was happening.
When we arrived to pick her up that afternoon she was clearly glad to see us. After all we had been aquintances for years and she had stayed with us several times when the previous owners were vacationing elsewhere.
The transfer process was quick and tearful. We got her papers, collar and leash, some dog food and her dishes and loaded them into our car. Then the kids quickly patted him goodbye and the whole family bursted in tears. We loaded our dog in our car and drove away. And every day since then they have called to see how she is doing.
How is she doing, you ask? The first night she was treadding carefully, exploring her new surroundings and getting a feel for her new front yard that we fenced for her. The first morning she saw us, she ran to me, almost knocked me to my *Censored Word* and licked every single bare spot on my body as welcome! Ever since that she has followed me around, choosing a place to lie in where she can see me, and from time to time she comes in for affection.
She is very defensive of our front gate and will not allow guests unless we tell her it´s okay to let someone in our yard. She watches carefully when our two years old son is playing, and if he is crying she will go to him to "ask" what is wrong. And our son just adores her! They instantly developed symbiosis that will no doubt last as long as she will live. Even though the dog would most likely take any kind of treatment from him, he knows better. He carefully goes around the sleeping dog, shortly stopping to pat him. And if it were up to him she would sleep in his bed!
We are so fortunate in getting this wonderful, loving and totally heart stealing chow chow lady in our lives. And we are honored to be able to give her hopefully happy retiremend days as long as she shall live. She turns eleven in the fall but is in perfect health for her age.

And that was the story of our "nalle" (finnish word for teddybear)
chris

Post by chris »

I think this is a great idea as well... very cool. :-) I have some strange gohst stories if you are interested in them. :shock: :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Blondie, that is a lovely story about your chow chow. Can I use it for the book?

Chris, ghost stories are fine - so long as they are not far fetched! But there again, how far is far fetched.

I have told this story before and you will have to trust me it is true.

We have always sent the breeder of our dogs, over the years, a Christmas Card with a current photograph of the dog or dogs and have always had lovely messages back.

So, since we got Milly and Mabel, we did the same to their breeder in Cumbria. Only Christmas 2004, we did not get the usual telephone call from her telling me how lovely M & M looked etc. etc. I had heard that her husband had died so I was not concerned.

However, just before Christmas 2004, Fred made a mistake and thought Mabel was in the house when she was in fact in the garden. Then he thought she wanted to go out so he opened the door for her and came in to the sitting room to find her lying on the rug in front of the fire - and so on :?

Then, one day I was dusting in the sitting room and saw "Mabel" standing in the door to the hall watching me. I turned to look at M & M on their rugs - turned back to the door and the vision was gone.

This went on for weeks and weeks - odd glimpses. By this time we realised that we had acquired a third chow!!

Then about April 2005, out of the blue, I received a letter from M & M's breeder telling us she had been so upset - M & M's mother Lizzie had died of a tumour on 12th December, 2004.

We still see her and she is very like Mabel.

Sometimes it is just the rear end of a chow knickers going round the shed or a chow looking at us from an open door but there is definately a chow - then she disappears. We are convinced it is Lizzie - we cannot think of any other explanation. M & M are not a bit concerned.

So there you go, I suppose you could consider that as far fetched, but I give you my word, it is true.
Last edited by Judy Fox on Fri May 26, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Blondie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Blondie »

Feel free to use it in the book if you think it is suitable. And please correct any spelling /grammatic errors you find before print. I am not a native speaker 8)

That was a very lovely story of the ghost chow! It´s a soothing idea that M&M´s mommy is visiting them
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Auddymay

Either a tif or a jpg are fine. If they are sent jpg, it is compressed but I will be saving as a tiff to not lose any data from the photo so no biggie. I would think that some people would have a hard time email a tif (because of the size) and/or converting to a tif.

Tif is a better file (no compression) but it won't be a significant difference.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Wow. I've been so busy here at work this has all gotten away from me! :oops:
I do fancy myself a writer (am working on a book...very slowly) so if anyone needs help with making their submissions more "literary" I volunteer.
Has anyone suggested any titles yet? Off the top of my head...what about "How Now ChowChow"?

I have to get some more photos together and get them scanned. Who is taking photos?

My email addy is mmacovitch@bradleycaldwell.com in case anyone needs to contact me about anything.

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

I love this idea too! I could contribute something about bloat as Bear had this and survived surgery and lived a good life for about 4 more years. And I have a great story about Bear's great escape and the joyful reunion of me finding him on my birthday, 3 days after he escaped! My mom has written 2 stories about babysitting her grand dogs (it rained continuously and Bear wouldn't come in the house for his grand parents).

Judy, I can just see the wheels turning for you. Your excitement is contagious and I've caught it! I'll help in any way...just let me know.

Debbie and Bones
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Tovya, Mandy is collecting the pictures.

Blondie, thank you very much. Have you got a picture to send to Mandy.

We have got quite used to seeing the ghost chow around and it does not bother us at all. She has a big chow grin on her face.

Even though Milly and Mabel are litter sisters, and very alike, they are not identical either in looks or temperament.

We had never actually met M & M's mother chow because at that time, there was a deal of unrest here in the U.K. regarding petrol and we could not get the petrol to travel up to Cumbria to bring Milly home but when they were six months old, we went over to Yorkshire to collect Mabel who was living with their father chow's family.

So, we met their father and Milly is very, very like him. So when we realised that we were seeing this "third" chow in our home and mistook her for Mabel, we are assuming that where Milly looks very like her father, Mabel must look like her mother.

I have never actually discussed it with the breeder 'cos I did not want to upset her. I will have to, I suppose, before "The Book" is printed - if that story goes in the book! She might buy a copy! :)

Debbie, brilliant - send them to me. It is exciting isn't it.

Lou, I have emailed Michael and received a reply - he is more than happy for us to use the Chow Moon Journey and he is going to write to me re the turkey hunt. Do you remember when Gwrol saw a turkey feather and then sniffed it and tracked it right down to a thicket in the forest! :lol: :lol: Michael likes that one. I asked him for a story about Chyno - no comment on that but I will work on him. :wink:

I have yet to contact Joanna - we must have the story of Pumpkin dragging the table up the street and how she used to drag her bed into the closet. She has a "Great Escape" too, if I remember rightly. :roll:

Get them coming in folk!! \:D/ \:D/
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Might I suggest a chapter on FAQ? In many instances more than one answer could appear, like they do at this forum. You could even have the ChowChow 'Expert Panel" giving the replys.

Q. My puppy and older Chow wrestle all the time. I am always pulling fur bits from her mouth. Should I worry about furballs?

A. Miss Lily here. I used to pull Pippy's fur all the time. Mum was always fishing bits from my mouth. I never had a furball problem, though.

Something along those lines? (That was an example, not a submission)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I like that idea of an FAQ being answered by the Chow expert!

Q. Do you have any recommendations on how to keep my Chow in the back seat of the car?

A. Pekoe here. Chows should always have the front passenger seat. We are great navigators in or out of the car.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Brilliant - that would be fun.

In fact, I rather think that might be a good idea for littering them through the book!

Do you know The Reader's Digest magazines - they do short anecdotes throughout - usually funnY!

Perhaps you would like to take that job on, Karen and Auddeymay - it would be amusing. :)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Judy if you go onto my blog, you will find that I am writing my stories onto it and you are quite welcome to use them just down load them on to your documents the blog is in one of the files on the site, dont have it with me at the moment.
What a wonderful idea, and I find it very exciting, I love writing about my chows and other animals and will certinaly join in.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

http://www.glowfoto.com/users/carolyn/blog.php

This is my blog where I am putting all my stories.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I love the idea of the FAQ!!

I think I'm getting carried away here, but what about a little mini-bio on all the chows that are in the book? I.e. Name: Special Dark, Age: ~1.5, Likes: SOCKS, Walks, etc, Fave Foods: HOT DOGS. That kind of thing? Everyone could submit some things for a few standard categories.

Judy and Mandy, I'm busy organizing for you, hopefully I'll have everything together by the end of the weekend!
chowadmin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by chowadmin »

:postit-biggrin: Hey everyone,

This is a fantastic idea and it will be great for the Chow Chow breed and its' owners along with any new owners interested in the breed. The more positive information about Chow Chows the better for the breed.

I can provide hosting for the book if you like. I can setup something based on the existing ChowChow.org domain name, for example book.chowchow.org, or if you have a new domain in mind. I can also provide a general email account, such as book@chowchow.org and have it forward to one of you. I'll leave these up you guys to figure out.

Over the holiday weekend I had some time to work on a new design of the site. I should be able get it up and running within the next week or so. I'll post preview to show later this week.

Also I fixed the PayPal donation links. They are working now and all proceeds will go to the support of this site.

If there is anything you need from me just send an email to chowchow@chowchow.org or send me a PM on these boards. I don't always have time to read all the topics and posts on the site, but I do check in every few days. If you need to reach me faster you can email me at my personal account design@imaginary-idea.com.

:postit-wink:
Best regards,

ChowChow.org Administrator

Join the ChowChow.org Facebook Fan Page and follow on Twitter @chowchoworg
pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

This was sent to me when I belonged to the abledog group. Just wanted to share it. It could easily be modified to "I AM YOUR CHOW." :)

I AM YOUR DOG

I am your dog, and I have a little something I'd like to whisper in your ear
I know that you humans lead busy lives. Some have to work, some have
children to raise. It always seems like you are running here and there,
often much too fast, often never noticing the truly grand things in life.
Look down at me now, while you sit there at your computer. See the way my
dark brown eyes look at yours? They are slightly cloudy now. That comes
with age. The gray hairs are beginning to ring my soft muzzle.

You smile at me; I see love in your eyes. What do you see in mine? Do you
see a spirit? A soul inside, who loves you as no other could in the world?
A spirit that would forgive all trespasses of prior wrong doing for just a
simple moment of your time? That is all I ask. To slow down, if even for a
few minutes to be with me. So many times you have been saddened by the
words you read on that screen, of other of my kind, passing. Sometimes we
die young and oh so quickly, sometimes so suddenly it wrenches your heart
out of your throat. Sometimes, we age so slowly before your eyes that you
may not even seem to know until the very end, when we look at you with
grizzled muzzles and cataract clouded eyes. Still the love is always there,
even when we must take that long sleep, to run free in a distant land.

I may not be here tomorrow; I may not be here next week. Someday you will
shed the water from your eyes, that humans have when deep grief fills their
souls, and you will be angry at yourself that you did not have just "One
more day" with me. Because I love you so, your sorrow touches my spirit and
grieves me. We have NOW, together. So come, sit down here next to me on the
floor, and look deep into my eyes. What do you see? If you look hard and
deep enough we will talk, you and I, heart to heart. Come to me not as

"alpha" or as "trainer" or even "Mom or Dad," come to me as a living soul and
stroke my fur and let us look deep into one another's eyes, and talk.

I may tell you something about the fun of chasing a tennis ball, or I may
tell you something profound about myself, or even life in general. You
decided to have me in your life because you wanted a soul to share such
things with. Someone very different from you, and here I am. I am a dog, but
I am alive. I feel emotion, I feel physical senses, and I can revel in the
differences of our spirits and souls. I do not think of you as a "Dog on two
feet" -- I know what you are. You are human, in all your quirkiness, and I
love you still.

Now, come sit with me, on the floor. Enter my world, and let time slow down
if only for 15 minutes. Look deep into my eyes, and whisper to my ears.
Speak with your heart, with your joy and I will know your true self. We may
not have tomorrow, and life is oh so very short.

(on behalf of canines everywhere)
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Tears are streaming down my face! I've never seen that one before, it's beautiful.

I'm so glad that everyone is so excited about this. I'm STILL getting thinsg together for Judy and Mandy! If this is the case with me, I cannot imagine how much material everyone else has that has had years and years of chow bliss!! Anyhow, I'm trying to hurry up! :wink:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Oh man! I just want to go home and be with them right now, this minute, instead sitting in this place with all these people I'm not even sure I like...that was so moving...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

ChowAdmin, you're the greatest! It's because of you that this site is here, and it's this site that is a place for all of us to come and share, vent, agree, disagree, and absolutely love our chows. Which is why I think most of us agreed that we wanted some of the proceeds to come right back to chowchow.org.
The subdomain idea would be workable. I was more thinking about a domain name that went along with the title of the book when we finally decide on one. Those are just my feelings on it. This is a group project, so of course everyone's input is welomed and even expected.
Judy and Mandy, I know I am behind in getting stuff to both of you, but I will get going on it. My life just refuses to calm down enough for me to relax and do something I want to do as opposed to something I have to do. But I'll try to start getting stuff sent to the both of you over the weekend.
Nancy and Tai

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I haven't submitted yet, either. I have too much stuff too sort through! It is coming, though. Also Judy, I would be happy to work on the FAQs with Karen, and anyone else who wants to help. I will start a new topic with a base list of questions, and anyone can add their 2 cents. I had also thought to go over some back posts for some answers from our panel of experts...just trying to keep it real...hehe. Judy, how nice that you got a new computer for the project. Tell Fred his support is appreciated by all of us!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

TAKE YOUR TIME EVERYONE!!!

This isn't going to be a quick process so don't fret about taking time to get everything together.

SO who wants to take charge of communicating with Chow admin and helping him get a separate place set up for us?
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Judy, Auddymay, Chowfrnd88, Mandy, Ngraham, Lou, et al:
This is a great project but we really need to get it organized and understand who is doing what and when things are needed. Our chowadmin has volunteered a really good tool for all of this to be coordinated and channeled appropriately.
I think most of this needs to be "offline" but funneled through one or more resources to make sure we're not missing anything.
I think we should have a separate domain book@chowchow.org as the chowadmin suggested to keep the "book" traffic organized.
I've been involved with many work projects as a project manager so I would like to offer any advice and/or task responsiblities to help this book to become a reality :D .

Thanks! Karen