Small Brag

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Small Brag

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

I am so excited to announce that Ember Flame passed her OFA prelims for her Hips with a good! and we expect her OFA of her heart to be affirmed too.
Very exciting :-)
next we are going to test her thyroid and next year we will do a full spectrum of hips patellas and elbows!
Just had to share the small brag as I am So elated, but not surprised really. She's as excellent as I expected her to be :-) Kudo's Bob!

Carla
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Re: Small Brag

Post by cheriekynb »

:) Hugs to the "clan"..
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I don't know much about these things, sounds good though.
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good news! Ember Flame is a beautiful girl!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

It's sad to think Ember is destine to the same sad life as a breeding machine as your other chows. Belle is getting ready to give birth to her 5th litter in the 2 1/2 years she's been alive, correct? Two litters a year since she was six months old, still a baby. And Latte just gave birth to her first litter at only one and a half years old, definately not old enough to have completed her health screenings. Or were these just more "accidental" litters. You can't honestly tell me "God intended" them to be breeding machines, cash cows, turning out as many puppies as they can possibly produce. You can continue to plug your "great" breeding ideals in every post you make, but actions speak louder than words, and your actions prove you are another backyard breeder, not much better than the puppy mills from which your chows were born.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Congrats to Ember Flame. Lovely to see her passing her health clearances Carla :D
Thank you Elodie!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Layla wrote:Congrats to Ember Flame. Lovely to see her passing her health clearances Carla :D
Thank you Layla and those who replied with something positive to say. I just got Embers OFA certification for her heart today! Woohoo. I am so elated.
We are preping Micah for a show in Louisville in July. How's the chowdren doing?
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

What happen to you at the show in Georgia this weekend, I saw you signed up but didn't show up? PoPo got two Group 2 placements and two Group 3 placements. Earned her National title and only one certificate away from from her Ehren title.

I think I have to agree with Amanda after someone sent me an add you placed on Puppyfind, seems you are planning anywhere from one to six litters this year? I am not sure you should even be breeding one per year, but I am not god and can't make that decision. :( You are running adds on unborn puppies too, not good Carla, that screams puppymill pretty loud. :-x
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Red Dragon wrote:What happen to you at the show in Georgia this weekend, I saw you signed up but didn't show up? PoPo got two Group 2 placements and two Group 3 placements. Earned her National title and only one certificate away from from her Ehren title.
Where the hell are getting that info from Sam? And if you want to gossip, I wonder where the huge scar on the back of Brody's neck came from... Hmmm... Oh yeah.. you used to own him, maybe you can shed some light on that. Someone told me they saw you "disciplining" your dogs by punching them in the back of the neck.... good thing I don't believe everything I hear, becuse if I did believe that, then I'd have to believe that you may have punched a little puppy, and I frankly try not to believe everything I hear, I'd like to think it is just all made up because that would be just sick, believing it just wouldn't be fair, or taking something read out of context wouldnt be fair either. Good thing I can recognize that.

What I said was we will ONLY breed 1-6 litters a year. EVER... that isnt this year, that is any year, that is what you took out of context Sam or as I know you, William Alexander. And if you are saying I am a puppymill for posting an add to find GOOD HOMES before a whelping then you are sick. If I know of a "possible" pregnancy, now or one in the future I search for GREAT homes in advance. DO NOT TRY TO TURN THIS, AWAY FROM THE TOPIC WHICH WAS ABOUT EMBER PASSING HER OFA PRELIMS.

And I DID NOT sign up for the Georgia show, Brooke didnt know how I got on that list... hmm... I wonder. Anyways, congratulations on a group 2 and 3's. I know you wanted BIS but group 2 and 3's,is excellent. Good job! At least I have class and can comment on the good.
Seems to me you are just SO upset that my girl passed a PARTIAL health certification, took away a small handful of dirt that you could throw at me.

Its really sick to me that I post something that I was excited about and 2 complete arses had to piss on it. Mean spirited the both of you... Sam, William, whatever the hell your name is, weren't you just dragged through the dirt on here? Maybe it makes you feel good to brush yourself off and push someone else down, real big of you.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Carla, I got my information from the IABCA website, your dog was entered at the show and his name is on the show roster. I was also asked if you were there when I went in the ring, so the dog was entered.

As for Brodi, I purchased him with breeding in mind and he developed a serious case of entropion in both eyes and was sent back to his breeder. The dog was perfectly healthy when he left my place and there was absolutely nothing wrong other than the entropion. He was sent back to the breeder and upon his arival they could not believe how bad his eyes were, so they said they were going to neuter him and they did the entropion surgery. He was supposed to be placed in a pet home, instead he ended up at your puppymill. You are welcome to verify the eyes with my vet. I will no longer be buying from that breeder again, nor would I ever recommend them again after selling you that dog for breeding. There is entropion in several dogs in Brodi's pedigree and the fact that he developed a bad case of it means that he will pass along that trait.

As for hitting my dogs, none of them have ever been hit by me, nor anyone else that I am aware of. You could raise your hand to any of my dogs and they would have no idea what you are doing, much less flinch. In fact Po is so solid she stood for exam at the show and I never had to hold her, even despite her being in heat. Dogs that have been beaten do not behave that way. If something was done to Brodi it was after he left my home.
Sam

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Carla, it has been brought to my attention that you have been using pedigrees in your advertising that have the Red Dragon watermark on them, you do not have my permission to post anything on any website or add with either my name on it or the Red Dragon kennel name on it, and if you do not remove them I will own everything you have, if you don't believe me just keep doing it as I have one of the best lawyers in the business in Virginia who is a friend of mine. The only reason I can think of that you ended up with Brodi's pedigree with my name and watermark on it is that it must have been in with all the paperwork that went back to his breeder when I sent him back. I am in no way associated with you, nor do I approve of what you are doing, it is a total outrage in my opinion!
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"What I said was we will ONLY breed 1-6 litters a year"

Gee your Chow is certified to pump out more puppies, thats a joyous occasion and an honor. Maybe after Sisko and JJ are put to sleep the owners can look you up. Homeless foreclosed Chows all over the place and your bragging about breeding more. 6 Chows a year? what's that like 30 Chows in five years which means probably 20 of them will wind up at a shelter within the first 5 years of their life then the rest will be on the street after 10 years of age. Hopefully at least 2 of them will find permanent homes. Amazingly people are congratulating you for this wonderful deed.

How much of your puppy profits do you donate to rescues for helping you clean up the mess you create.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Exactly, most Chows that end up in shelters or get dumped come from breeders that produce poor quality dogs, and dogs with health problems. This is a viscious cycle, we get rid of a couple of puppymills and just as many or more pop up to take their place, these dogs don't stand a chance and I feel sorry for anyone that falls for a bunch of fast talking BS out of these millers mouths. 6 litters in a year, WOW, why on earth does anyone need to breed 6 litters? Why does anyone need to breed 4 litters, or even 3 a year? Money???
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm not sure what litters mean, is that 6 puppies a year or 6 groups of puppies a year, I was thinking 6 puppies a year.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Really? We're really going to do this all over again? Because?

Personally, I hate this kind of animosity on the site, What does it achieve?

Back to my crate now.....
Thank you Elodie!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

it means 6 separate litters.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Layla wrote:Really? We're really going to do this all over again? Because?

Personally, I hate this kind of animosity on the site, What does it achieve?

Back to my crate now.....
I guess we could all say say great we hope your sales go well and pretend all is well in the Chow world then turn around and ignore Chows like JJ, Sisko and Smokey to name a few of the thousands looking for homes or being PTS. Maybe someday she will have 40 Chows looking for homes then we call all say gee that's to bad.

It may achive at least one person looking for a Chow to get one out of a shelter and not support breeding.

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:I am so excited to announce that Ember Flame passed her OFA prelims for her Hips with a good! and we expect her OFA of her heart to be affirmed too.
next we are going to test her thyroid and next year we will do a full spectrum of hips patellas and elbows!
Just had to share the small brag as I am So elated, but not surprised really. She's as excellent as I expected her to be :-) Kudo's Bob!

Carla

BACK TO THE ORIGONAL TOPIC... and stay there please... Argue via PM please before this goes to far thank you...

Im happy Ember passed her OFA... congrats....!!!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Oh, you mean like acusing someone of beating puppies? :roll:
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chris wrote:
RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:I am so excited to announce that Ember Flame passed her OFA prelims for her Hips with a good! and we expect her OFA of her heart to be affirmed too.

Carla

BACK TO THE ORIGONAL TOPIC... and stay there please... Argue via PM please before this goes to far thank you...

Im happy Ember passed her OFA... congrats....!!!
No one went off topic, I want to breed 6 litters a year was the topic, posted in the posters own words I gave my opinion about the topic... Think its time to get a job Chris.

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:evil: :evil: :evil:
People complain because the moderators lock, split, or delete threads. We wouldn’t have to do that if you could all just moderate yourself and be respectful of other forum members. If you feel strongly about a particular topic, start your own thread on it. That would at least give some of us a chance to avoid reading crap and personal abuse when we thought someone was sharing a happy or even sad event.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

Got one Jeff...
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

On the original topic:

A preliminary OFA does NOT mean the dog earned a certification. It generally means that x-rays were sent in on a dog too young to actually certify and the OFA vets then say whether or not the joints look okay to them at that point. No number is issued and the dog is not considered certified in any way. Dogs cannot be certified until they're at least two years old.

Most breeders, if they're going to do prelims, do them on hips AND elbows though. The chow breed has such a poor background in healthy elbows that it doesn't make sense not to do both (in fact there's more elbow dysplasia in the breed than there is hip dysplasia). Only the hips were mentioned, however, so that seems a bit strange.

By the way, if anyone wants to go to the OFA website (http://www.offa.org) and do a search for "Rhenegade" you won't find ANY listings for Rhenegade chows (as of yesterday). So all the breeding that's taking place is being done with dogs that have not passed hip, elbow, patella or thyroid certifications.

A cardiac certification is nice, but chows have a very low incidence of cardiac problems so that's an extra test, not a really necessary one. NO CHOW should be bred before having the hips, elbows and eyes done (at the very least).

As far as Brody goes, that's a Canton dog - and the Canton kennels is the one in Oregon that ended up on the news for mistreating their animals. We had a big discussion on this some time ago in the Community Discussions section. A potential buyer went to look at the chows and was very upset about the conditions the dogs were in and that the dogs were frightened and cowering away from the breeder. The breeder ended up losing a number of her dogs because she was keeping more than 30 on 1/4 acre of land - and the house had urine and feces inside too. I wouldn't say this is a breeder I'd want to run out and buy a dog from, and if Brody has already had surgery for entropion then he should NOT be used for breeding.

And anyone who is promoting Carla and her breeding practices should take a step back and really think about the associations you're forming. If Belle is on her fifth litter and is only 2 1/2 years old, this (in my opinion) is cruel treatment of a dog. The initial breedings were passed off as "accidental" but it's got to be pretty obvious to everyone by now that these breedings are deliberate (a bitch bred five heat cycles in a row??? there's NO EXCUSE FOR THAT). With bitches having puppies before they're physically and mentally mature, and dogs being bred without the benefit of hip, elbow, patella, eye and thyroid certifications - this is just a little chow puppymill and everyone who cares about the breed should be completely DISGUSTED.

Some of you may not like me personally, but that shouldn't matter here. We can't condone someone's actions that work against the good of the breed just because she's a forum member and jokes around with some of you. While I would love to think that she's actually attempting to become a decent breeder, her one little prelim doesn't excuse all the puppies she's producing (and selling, let's not forget the financial gain here) while her dogs are still not certified. I can't celebrate a preliminary OFA when she's got others pregnant or with a litter who have not been certified for hips, elbows, patellas, etc.

When the uterus gives out on poor little Belle, will she just be tossed aside to make room for a bitch that can still produce?

From the Rhenegade chows website: "Who or What do I consider to be the definition of a back yard breeder and puppy millers?
Breeders who mass breed, or breed occasional litters without the concern for health certifications for the health of thier puppies, or where they go and for how long. No health certifications and the lack of desire to be questioned. If they know what should be done, and just don't care and wanted puppies because it was a quick buck that is a back yard breeder on a small scale, a puppy miller on a large scale. "

By Carla's own definition, SHE is a backyard breeder.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Melanie, lets set the record straight on one thing. I did not buy Brody from Lolly at Canton, I bought him from Marjorie Johnstone of Amulet Chows. Margie owns Brody's sire and he was suppose to be pick of the litter for a stud service. And he went back to Margie when he left my place. Canton would not be involved at all in Carla's accusations of someone beating her puppy. :roll: Lets also make it clear that Brody was from a farm envirement and was kept outdoors in a sheltered run, if he does in fact happen to have a mark on him it could have very well be because he was a puppy running around acting crazy on a farm. But please do proceed ahead with Carla and the other members education about proper breeding practices. :D
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

kingalls wrote::evil: :evil: :evil:
People complain because the moderators lock, split, or delete threads. We wouldn’t have to do that if you could all just moderate yourself and be respectful of other forum members. If you feel strongly about a particular topic, start your own thread on it. That would at least give some of us a chance to avoid reading crap and personal abuse when we thought someone was sharing a happy or even sad event.
Which part was the crap part, Breeding 6 litters a year or the Chows needing homes being PTS. The people that spend 80% of their time and money trying to help the Chows in the Chows needing a home section can probably tell you what the crap part is.

There is already a section for people that feel strongly about a topic but they can't keep up with it and the people complaining about what's being said barely even know that section is there. There's more to Chows then me just posting a picture of Pekoe or telling people how cute it is when she poops.

ImageImage