I need help...Dilemma about Titus! SORRY ABOUT THE PICTURE

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

I need help...Dilemma about Titus! SORRY ABOUT THE PICTURE

Post by Theo »

I have a dilemma... As you all know, I’m crazy about Titus. He is a very sweet boy.
A little background about our household…Two weeks after we brought him home with us, my husband was injured on the job. He is still not back to work.
My 81 year-old mother also lives with us. We have a full house!

Titus has become very attached to everyone. He is never alone for more than two hours. When my husband and I go out, Titus makes his way to Grandma’s room and sleeps.
She tells us that every time he hears a sound he runs down the stairs and looks out the window for us. Of course when we come home, he acts like he hasn’t seen us in years!!!
He see’s me off to work every morning. My husband tells me that an hour before I come home, he is pacing and anxiously waiting for me! He is by my side constantly!

Here is my dilemma… In the next two months, we are going on a nine day vacation. My son will be home, but he works 8 - 10 hours a day. Titus is used to him coming and going...but Mom/Dad & Grandma are there all the time.
I am truly agonizing about leaving him for nine days.

Am I crazy? Do you think he will be OK? Any advice/help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by Theo on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Re: I need help...Dilemma about Titus!

Post by cheriekynb »

This is the same thing I go through every time my parents go on vacation, which is a LOT.. They are retired and travel in their RV. They are Sid's "chow sitters" while I'm at work. They live close enough to where I work that I am able to run home for lunch every day. Sid is "home alone" for about 4 hours at a time. Is it possible that your son can come home for about an hour in the middle of his day? I know it really helps me with MY anxiety over Sid being left alone. What about even a relative or a neighbor (same person every day) that can stop by and break up the day for Titus?

By the way.. Sid does the same thing. My parents say that for an hour after I leave, Sid paces, then an hour before I am supposed to arrive home, he starts pacing again, looking out the window and watching for me. SOMETIMES, Sid will go into a full blown temper tantrum, grab me around my legs and pulls on my pant legs like "NOOOOOOO, don't leave me".. :( cute and heartbreaking at the same time.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

could you interview dog walkers now?then they could get to know Titus before you leave and they could come and walk him daily while you are gone.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Theo »

Thanks so much for your replies Cherie and Jacqui!!!
I have thought about asking my neighbor's son to come over a few times a day to take him for a walk. I guess after the first or second day, he will adjust...I hope so!!!
Maybe between my son and his girlfriend, they can manage to check on him throughout the day as well.
Cherie, It sounds like Sid & Titus are so much alike! :D Leaving them is heartbreaking.
I'll keep you posted!
THANKS AGAIN!!!!
Jackie
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I know how hard it can be to leave your poor chow baby whenyou go on vacation. We are trying to plan a vacation now but I don't want to leave them and have to find a petsitter so I have been dragging my feet.

As for advice for Titus, I think he will be okay. He is in his home with someone he knows so that is already a plus for him. He may be lonely at first and need extra attention from your son when he does get home but he should be okay. Are there any toys that he really likes that could help him pass the time? Maybe a kong filled with something?

My three are home all day and really all they do is sleep the whole day. They rotate to where ever the sun is. When it was just Boogie I used to think he was bored and sad. That is why we started fostering. We would be doing something good and Boogie wouldn't have to be lonely.

Ooohhhh I have the perfect solution. Maybe you could get him another chow friend to keep him entertained. :lol:
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Hey Jackie, ya, keep us posted! I haven't been on a vacation since I got Sid because of the very same issue your facing! I left him, for one night, at my Vets (they have their own boarding facility).. The next day, when I picked him up, you'd of thought I had deserted him and left him for DAYS!! He practically pulled the tech to the ground when she brought him out to me. LOL. Silly, silly Sid.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Jackie,
just like Cherie,I have not had a vacation in about 20 years because of leaving my chows.I can't imagine going away and having a good time without them.
I hope you will find someone to help out with Titus and go have a great time :D
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Jackie, I do have a crazy idea.. Do you have a laptop that you can take with you? You could have "whoever" keep a digital camera handy and take little videos of Titus while your gone and send them to you or post them on your photobucket account (or something like that) so you can see how he's doing every day. It would help YOUR anxiety, at least. :)
Also.. treat the departure just like you would if you were leaving your 2 year old with relatives while you vacationed.. Make a "babysitter" list of things to do and NOT do.. You know, feeding schedule, favorite spots to rub, words they know, things they like, special places to walk.. ways to calm him... that sort of stuff?? (don't laugh, I do it all the time, Sid has his own backpack, just like a diaper bag).. LOL
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Cherie, I do the same thing. I have a whole sheet of likes and dislikes for each animal along with sleeping arrangements, food schedules and different treats. We also call once a day if everything was fine with the last call and more frequently if not. We also alert the neighbor across the street to keep an eye out to make sure the pet sitter is coming here and staying with them when he or she is supposed to. I am really paranoid that something will go wrong. Oh and I don't have the petsitter take them on walks or anywhere outside of our house. I just tell them to play with the dogs in the yard so that way there is no chance of them running away.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I have a friend who is a petsitter.she had not had a vacation for 10 years.she had no one to watch her 100lb rottie.so I offered for him to stay with us.
you should see what she sent with him.a whole book on what he likes,meds 3x a day,3 walks a day,2 large beds for my 3 room apt.there was no room for us :lol:
she called often and I did not mind at all.she had never left him alone,ever.he did fine.
what I'm saying is Titus will be fine as long as you have every thing in order :wink:
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I need help...Dilemma about Titus! SORRY ABOUT THE PICTURE

Post by Theo »

Teddy was alive when we went on vacation two years ago. I struggled with that because of his age.
I had the instruction sheet and contact numbers, etc. I had his meds and food packaged for each day with instructions taped to the front.
He would only take his medicine with cream cheese! I had a neighbor who looked out for him, along with my son. That worked out well.
Ted was an independent soul. I was more worried about his health…he slept most of the day and adjusted well.

I was so focused on him and was his well-being…I figured my son would fare well…little did I know that our first night out to sea, my son was hit by a drunk driver.
He walked away from the accident…Take a look at his Jeep and tell me how... he definitely had a guardian angel looking over him. The other guy did not fare too well.
I checked in with him throughout the trip, and he did not say a word…he didn’t want to ruin our vacation.

I know the ship has a computer room. I could send emails an have our son take pictures. That’s a GREAT idea!!!

I’m sure he will do fine (Titus and the son!)…but I’m a worrier by nature…you can see why!!!
Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas!

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I need help...Dilemma about Titus! SORRY ABOUT THE PICTURE

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Jackie if you need me help walk or play with Titus whil you guys are on vacation, just give me a call, okay? We're so close to you, ANYTIME you need anything just call, you have the number!:)

Thank goodness your son was not seriously injured in that accident. I remember your telling me about it, but I had no idea how bad the accident was.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea