Boogie injured his leg

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Boogie injured his leg

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Yesterday evening when let the dogs in I noticed all three were very subdued and not doing zoomies through the house like they normally do. Then I noticed Boogie's left hind leg was up and he was hobbling along on three legs. His tail was also down. Boogie is a huge drama queen so I figured maybe he stepped on something or someone stepped on his toes. (In the past he has limped around looking for sympathy if anyone steps near his toes.) I checked him out and was even able to gently bring his leg down even though he wouldn't put any weight on it. I massaged his leg and thinking I would find what is wrong but nothing. Then I tried to roll him over and rub his belly (which he really likes) and he let out a weird noise. He then got up and hobbled away. Still thinking that he was being dramatic I watched him (when he didn't know I was) and he was still hobbling. We went to bed (hoping he would be better this morning) but this morning was the same thing. The poor guy was trying to potty this morning and kept tipping over. I made him a vet appointment for this evening after work so hopefully they can figure out what happened. I have a feeling that he may have popped his hip out of place when he and Teddie were playing. They have the tendency to play too rough and grab and pull on each others legs and tails.
Auddymay

Re: Boogie injured his leg

Post by Auddymay »

Sorry to hear Boogie is on the injured list, I hope it is a simple fix, for all your sakes.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwww poor Boogie, I hope its not his hip...maybe not...let us know what the Vet says ok??

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I hope it is a simple fix as well! Sending good thoughts. I came home to my Kody doing that and he had torn both his acl and pcl (?) and I have no idea how, so you're right to get it checked out asap. Let us know!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Sounds like it may be the ACL, they are torn alot with these dogs because the breed is plagued with luxating patella. Too many bad breedings have taken it's toll on the patella, amoung other things. But on the brite side of things, there are alot of champions! :roll: Hope you guy gets better on his own. If this ends up being a recurring problem for him and the ligament isn't torn into, just make him sit down with the rear leg stretched out in front and the knee will probably pop back in place on it's own.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

We are back from the vet. She thinks it is his ACL. She said his knee is swollen and perscribed some Deramaxx 100 Mg that he is supposed to take half of a tablet daily. She said to do this and if he isn't using his leg by next week then we need to bring him back for possible surgery. I really hope it doesn't need to come to that. The vet was actually very good with him. We did muzzle him but he did very well at letting her feel all over him. That was actually the best he has ever behaved at the vet.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Poor Boogie. I think they know they need help, thus the good behaviour. You might want to keep the chowdren separate so that Boogie's leg gets the needed rest, and try to get him not to zoomie, even if he feels good enough for it. Yeah, yeah, I know letting them understand the "take-it-easy" instruction is difficult. Keep him w/in your sight as much as possible. Wishing him a speedy recovery!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| We wish Boogie a speedy recovery!!!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Poor Boogie :( Get well soon wishes from all of us in Seattle. The resting bit is really hard but really makes a difference..... Best of luck :?
Thank you Elodie!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Awww, poor baby. Hope you feel better soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Poor Boogie, How's he doing? I hope he's feeling better! Hugs from me and Sid.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks for all the good thoughts for Boogie. There hasn't been a change yet. He is still limping around. We have been keeping him seperate from the other two and he doesn't like it. He also wants to run on histree good legs so now he has to be on leash in the house. Teddie is not happy about Boogie being gone either. He is looking all over for him.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Boogie and Linda wrote:She said to do this and if he isn't using his leg by next week then we need to bring him back for possible surgery. I really hope it doesn't need to come to that.
You might consider adding some MSM sulfur and/or sulfur rich proteins to his diet, to help repair the injury and reduce the swelling.

All best wishes...
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks Kiwani. You also mentioned MSM sulpher in my post about allergies. Is this a supplement I can find at a health food store? I was going to look for it from your allergy post and now I will definately go look for it if it will help Boogie's leg.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Boogie and Linda wrote:Is this a supplement I can find at a health food store?
Yes, it's available as a separate ingredient supplement; as part of immune building formulas; and as part of joint formulas with glucosamine, etc.

There are human grade quality formulas in health shops, and various dog brand formulas available.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Poor Boogie, I hope he feels better soon. Lots of hugs for him from Special and me.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I went out and got some human grade MSM Sulpur pills and gave Boogie two with dinner along with the Deramaxx. He has been taking it easy today but still not using his leg at all.
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Did they splint his leg? Asking we had this with Ginger Bear, some vets do have splits they are almost like casts, I forgot how many weeks we did this therapy, if it did not work we were told surgery was the only way to correct. It worked, never had any problems after thats.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

No, they didn't splint his leg. He holds it up and doesn't use it. Yesterday he started to put it down a little but only put a little weight on it. This morning I noticed he was doing a lot of extra stetching of his hind legs. He always stretchs all four of his legs like a cat when he wakes up in the morning but this morning he spent extra time on his hind legs.

I do have a question for those of you that have experience with ACL issues. Is it possible that this will heal without surgery or will surgery definately be necessary?

Boogie does all the bad things that the vet says will cause this type of injury. He jumps on his hind legs when he gets excited (not on people but he will jump up in the air or at the back door). He runs a lot and makes lots of sharp turns during his zoomies. He loves to "play football" with my daughter where she throws the football down the hall and he runs full speed gets it and then she chases him. The vet said I should NEVER let him do any of these things. How do I keep him active if he can't burn off his energy? Kiwani mentioned in another post that becoming addicted to TV is because he is not active enough. How do I keep him active but safe from injury?
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I don't know alot only that my Kody tore his in the backyard...alone...so no clue how he did it but my vet said it is easy for them to do. My vet would have done surgery but due to Kody's age at the time (13) we opted to let it heal on it's own which was no great fix. Something about scar tissue forming/healing it but not really healing it. He was given pain meds and I was told to crate him for 6 weeks. Well he was never crate trained so that didn't work. He was so old at the time that he didn't do much but sleep anyway so we built him a ramp to go potty, blocked off other steps and left it at that. It seemed to heal but as you know it is almost impossible to tell if it still hurt or not. In a younger dog I would guess that surgery would be the best option.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Boogie and Linda wrote:Is it possible that this will heal without surgery or will surgery definately be necessary?....Kiwani mentioned in another post that becoming addicted to TV is because he is not active enough. How do I keep him active but safe from injury?
It can heal, if it's a partial tear. Neutered dogs are more at risk for this type of injury. The fact that he's stretching his hind legs more now, may be a sign that the swelling has subsided and he's noticing the difference in joint stability and trying to adjust the knee.

Concerning the TV addiction/exercise aspect in the other thread, exercise builds calming chemistry which acts as a counterbalance to the 'addictive' chemistry, BUT *excitatory* competitive-type exercise also contributes to building excitatory 'addictive' chemistry. For example, using laser lights to 'exercise' a dog can leave you with a light-obsessed dog.

Compare that to hiking with your Chow at an average pace, taking frequent breaks, taking-in new scenery frequently to 'exercise the mind'; using a long lunge-lead rather than encouraging prey-drive running; swimming and gentler exercise on soft earth, sand; etc. That kind of exercise has more of a calming effect. Wild play, with body slams, twists/high jumps, etc., is harder on the joints - *especially* for neutered dogs.
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Glad to see the stretching, just would not allow too much activity, I know that can be difficult, I am far from an expert, but Ginger Bears ACL issue was a tear, so surgery was not required and it did heal. I do believe the splint helped, because she was not allowed full use of the limb, her front leg was injured do not know if that makes a difference. Hugs for a good recovery.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."