need help im a newbie!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

bogsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

need help im a newbie!

Post by bogsy »

guys i really need your help im going to purchase a pup which do you prefer a black or a brown?
chris

Post by chris »

Choosing a color should be your decision. 2 of mine have been black, and my new one is "blue", (however I think he is black) anyway I chose them because of looks and personality, personality winning over everything else. I just ended up with all black ones.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I've had three blacks and two reds, it's not really important what their color is, but overall health, attitude, intelligence etc. Color is just a choice, unless you're planning on showing, I've heard from people who do that the judges sometimes prefer reds to blacks because they photograph better, but then the last time I watched one of the national dog shows the chow in the "non-sporting breeds" was a black. (Pretty boy too!)

If I was choosing a puppy from a breeder here's what I'd look for.

Health, this you'd have to get from the breeder in terms of certifications on the parents. Then a shot and examination from a vet, (puppies should have their first shots and have been seen by a vet at least once.

conformation, a chow puppy should have a certain conformation, sturdy, square, both ears up, nice head to body ratio...read the specs, take a look at some examples and see.

intelligence, hard to judge on a puppy, but the parents should have that sparkle in their eyes, some curiosity about new things and new people. this goes hand in hand with how responsive he/she is, does the puppy ignore you to play with it's siblings, or is it interested in you?

Color, I like blacks, reds, creams and blues, in that order...but sometimes a would be cream puppy will grow up to be a light red adult, or a blue puppy will be a black as an adult...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!