Cantaloupe

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cantaloupe

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Does anyone know if cantaloupe is safe to give our furkids? I brought one home last night that smelled so wonderful and Special expressed definite interest, but I didn't give him any because I didn't know if it was okay. I'm hoping it's safe because it would be the only fruit he's expressed interetest in. While we're on the subject, can you recommend any other fruits/ veggies that are allowed besides apples or carrots? Thanks!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I don't know about cantalope, but I gave Lily a bit of strawberry, which she rejected, but Pippy loved them.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

To my knowledge, just about everything fruity/veggie except:

onion
garlic (in small doses is ok)
grapes (some dogs are allergic, some are not)
I think I also heard something about kiwi, though I'm not sure.

My two LOVE: carrots, strawberries, apples.

Nina will inhale: grapes (they don't bother her), pickles, potatoes, cantelope

Rogan loves (but is too dignified to inhale :roll: ): bananas, oranges
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel love pieces of banana and strawberries. Mabel also likes a little soft pear - the Conference variety. They will also eat a couple of segments of mandarin or satsumas.

Our Boxer Meggie used to love fruit and vegetables and would go round the garden picking the ripe fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries and would even stand up on her back legs against the apple tree and take an apple. She would take a tomato off the plants in the greenhouse too. Our Great Dane Lizzie always asked for our apple core and we would leave a little more apple on and let her eat them. She loved an apple for herself and would lie down with it between her paws and eat it round and round as we do.

When our granddaughters were little I started to place large pots of stawberries along the side of the greenhouse as I was afraid of them falling against the glass. They loved the strawberries and were allowed to just pick them when they were ripe. One time our Jessy had her eye on a particularly luscious one that was not quite ripe and I told her for two or three days "Just wait Jess, it will soon be ripe". It was a beauty! Trouble was Meg had her eye on it too. The day came when it was ripe and when Jess came home from school, she went out to see it. I waited for her to bring it in to dip in the sugar basin (something her Mummy would not allow) - instead, she came in with tears pouring down her little face. Meg had walked over to the greenhouse with her and when she bent down to look at it, Meg looked too and took it! There was nothing to do but just hug her. Poor little girl, she was only about 5 1/2. :cry: She is nearly 17 now and she still goes out in the summer to see if there are any nice big strawberries there.

When I cook "Victory's Recipe" of minced beef and vegetables for M & M I put in what veg. I have, (except onions) and they love it.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Last night, I went and got burgers for dinner. Occasionally, I get a plain cheeseburger for the girls to split, and last night I did get them one. We vall sat down to eat, and I brke the burger in 4 pieces. My husband, who had just finished his meal, asked what I was doing. I told him, and he asked if he could have it, cause he was still hungry. There I was torn between the ones I love... :shock: Well, hubby got the burger, and the kids only got a french fry. Poor things. I did give them cheese after dinner, but I think they know what was up, because they seemed a little insulted when they got the fry...
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Kodie absolutely loves grapes... and someone told me they are bad for dogs. So he doesn't get any anymore. :( I didn't see where they bothered him any.
Nancy and Tai

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

ngraham wrote:Kodie absolutely loves grapes... and someone told me they are bad for dogs. So he doesn't get any anymore. :( I didn't see where they bothered him any.
Nancy, from what I've been told, its either they have a deadly reaction or none at all. If Koda's never had a reaction, then it should be safe to give them to him. Nina eats them every day and nothing happens to her. And if something disagrees with her, we know immediately.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

Most of the fruits and veggies should be ok. Like Rogansmommy said, depends on your chowdren. For Tiger, he is a typical Chow, who is extremely picky on what he likes to eat. He loves apply, but only eats the Fuji type no others. He likes grapes too, but if it's not sweet, he just sniffs it a little bit and walk away. I guess that it is why very rare our chowdren have over weight problem.
Purple kisses from Tiger xxxxxx

Karen, Pablo & Tiger
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

We have given Koda apples and other kinds of fruits... he just doesn't care for anything but grapes. He just adored them, but I had alot of people on another board jump me for giving them to him and basically scared the "H*LL" out of me, so we quit giving them to him. Amber eats alot of grapes and you should see the sad face Koda can give. LOL I saw absolutely no adverse effects from the grapes when Koda ate them. It wasn't like he was given a pound of grapes.... just 5 or so at a time. 10 tops. LOL He didn't like baby carrots either. But he does like canned peas. Ewwwwwww. Molly and Koda ate some last night. :twisted:
Nancy and Tai

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

FYI,

According to the ASPCA, around 1989 a disturbing trend began to emerge from the AnTox database used by its Animal Poison Control Center: Nearly all the dogs reported to have eaten grapes or raisins developed acute renal (kidney) failure. These cases were noted all across the USA, with the amount eaten varying widely, from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins.

The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days — sometimes even weeks.

When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.

Although it is not known what component of the grapes or raisins causes renal failure in dogs, certain possibilities have been ruled out, including various pesticides, some heavy metals such as zinc and lead, and fungal contaminants. That dogs react in this fashion to both commercially-produced grapes and those grown informally in their owners' back yards indicates the likely culprit has nothing to do with the growing or cultivation process but is instead basic to grapes themselves.

In other words, all grapes are potentially dangerous to dogs — both grapes in the plump, "just picked" form and as their dried counterparts, raisins, and regardless of whether they came from the store or off the neighbor's vine. Don't feed your dog grapes or raisins, and don't leave these foodstuffs out where he could help himself to them.

This is not to say you need live in fear of your pooch's keeling over dead if he swallows a grape or two. However, if he downs a handful of grapes or even a smaller amount of raisins, get him to your veterinarian right away. Aggressive treatment with intravenous fluids and close monitoring are his best chance for survival.

Also, some dogs don't chew and just swallow them whole. Whole grapes can get caught in their throat and block their trachea/wind pipe.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

<sigh> that's what I was told about grapes also. So still no grapes for King Koda. LOL
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone! I remeber hearing about grapes before and that's exactly why I wanted about cantalope. I've also seen him interested in strawberries so I'm glad that strawberries are okay to give! :wink: It's so hard to know what you can can't give. Last week I picked up a book called the Dog Bible and it's pretty cool. It covers a little bit of everything and I just noticed last night that there's a blurb about foods. There's a good foods column and a foods to avoid column. It says blueberries, raspberries, bananas, apples, melons are good to give and grapes and raisins are a no-no for the section on fruits.

Judy, the story about Jessy made me smile. Poor little girl! Does she remember the experience?

I love the hamburger idea Auddymay!! I'm certian Special would love that!! I'm so sorry you were torn between your loved ones!! That's always so hard.

Thanks again for all the great responses everyone!!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes indeed, Jessy does remember about the strawberry!

Even now, she will pretend to run to the strawberry pots before M & M get there. The thing is, Mabel really loves Jessy and will run as fast as she can with her. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Chubaka's favourites are bananas and berries. I think most dogs do like berries. When we lived in Vermont my German Sheperd, Morticia, would eat berries right from the bushes. We had wild blackberries, raspberries and cultivated blueberries. She would stand there like a deer and just graze at the berry bushes.

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
goodas_AU
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goodas_AU »

Yep!
Lou was right on the money!

everyone knows about chocolate being toxic, but what you have to remember is it's the amount /to the size of the dog! One choc.chip cookie isn't gonna kill your chow/ however the chocolate is still toxic to them!

Same applies to Grapes
and Onions

If your not sure, don't give it to them!

Keep em healthy and happy!

Leigh
In Loving Memory of my best friend in the world "BEAR" 1987-2002

Here's to new beginnings "Tucker"
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks again everyone! Well, I tried to give him a tiny piece of cantalope, but he just played with it. He smelled it a LOT, but no go. Alas... :D :D I really want to give me sme fun, healthy treats that I don't have to feel guilty about giving him and that he'll like. I'm beginning to realize how elusive that is! :wink: