Chow Bottom Cut

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Chow Bottom Cut

Post by TJordan »

What is the proper way to groom down the chows butt? I ask because when I trim it, it ends up looking a little hacked :?

Is there a certain # on clipper attachement or what?
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Bottom Cut

Post by Layla »

Ya know, I was looking at the tite & wondering why you hadn't posted in health about Butter's cutting his butt.... must need another cup of coffee #-o

Can't help though, I only trim the hair between their pads..... unless we have a major longterm poop issue that is :shock:
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Yes the title is a little iffy!!

His hair is just growing so out of control I want to keep it trimmed cause he does have some tummy issues on occasion and it is easier when his hair is shorter!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thats ok I thought you had some new Recipe, Chow bottom Cut, I thought is she making a stew or something.

Cutting Pekoe's rear is a two person ordeal, One person has to hold a towel over her head then the other person has to hold her butt up and cut as fast as they can, talk about uneven and sloppy looking but you gotta do what you can do as fast as you can do it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waternight »

My husband cuts my baby's hair around his butt when I ask him to so his poop does not get trap in the hairs. It is a two person job. I would be in front of him petting him while my husband cuts this butt hair. When we first did it, it look really bad. After a few tries, he got better at it.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

EEEEWWW, Chow bottom cut stew doesn't sound very good. :-8

Perhaps I will get better at this in time. It is a two person job and DH isn't always that helpful. :roll:
SweetPea Rocks!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

hmmm...are you talking butt or breeches? The groomer only brushes the breeches...but I ask her to give Mr. N's butt area a big trim to minimize the area that the poop might stick to :roll:
She will use an electric razor and/or a scissor.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well that is a good question. I guess I'm kinda talking about both. The bottom for the poo, the breaches because they are outta control.
SweetPea Rocks!!
shannlee379
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shannlee379 »

I have no idea. I do know that Shelby does not mind the clippers and sits pretty for her cut. However, her first grooming experiance will not be repeated. I might just strat doing it myself. I cut hair all the time, dog hair can't be all that different...lol.
Shannon & Shelby...
Cinders mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cinders mom »

I found that clippers are the best to use around the "butt" area. But if you have to use scissors, don't cut "accross" the hair. Instead hold the scissors "up and down" )sharp point of scissors pointed down" and trim that way. It makes the cut look a lot cleaner, less "choppy".
Susan Gambini
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I use scissors to keep Molly trimmed there. She doesn't really like it and keeps trying to sit down. I try to rub her belly with my other hand because she likes that and it keeps her standing a little longer. Sometimes I have to stop and try again later. She keeps sitting down! She's no dummy!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand