Hair not growing fast enuf!!!!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hair not growing fast enuf!!!!!

Post by user952824 »

My one year old dog has bald spots (still) on his butt from the shaving of his surgery a while back, the hair is slow in coming back. Is there anything - shampoo, medication someone has used in order to promote the growth of the hair? OR is is just a slow process since the hair was shaven down to the skin and will take time to grow in? He has fuzz on the spot.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hair not growing fast enuf!!!!!

Post by TJordan »

It might be a nutritional issue. Butters had surgery and his hair took over a year to grow back. It was mostly because of what I was feeding him was not good enough quality food. Since changing his food his coat is full and beautiful.
SweetPea Rocks!!
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

hmmm very interesting. I am feeding my chow Merricks. I sometime put homecooked food on top of his kibbles. i.e. chicken livers, a little lamb, scrambled eggs. But he loves the can Merricks as he loves gravy. I also give him Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. I guess it will just take some time for the hair to grow back. Oh well..
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Where are you located that you get Merricks? Isn't that a local type company? I recognize the name that is why I ask. I haven't researched it so it may be fine. The supplements you give should be helping actually, hmmm. A lot of people on here have talked about the salmon oil I haven't tried it. I do use the Missing Link as a supplement.
SweetPea Rocks!!
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

I get the Merricks from a local pet store in the country and in NYC. It is a higher grade of dog food. It comes in a can and kibbles in the same flavor. My puppy likes gravy and I chose this brand because it has gravy with all the can food. He loves it.

Check it out on the internet.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

user952824 wrote:OR is is just a slow process since the hair was shaven down to the skin and will take time to grow in? He has fuzz on the spot.
You might do an archive search for 'post clipping alopecia'. The fur in that area might be in a prolonged 'resting phase'. Has the rest of his coat started the mid-winter shed cycle yet?
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

It is hard to say if he is or has shed for mid winter. His hair was cut down to his second coat but the long strings of hair is growing back through the second coat. I will view some of the posts on alopecia which I don't think he has.

Thanks.