Does your chowling sleep all day?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Does your chowling sleep all day?

Post by LEO's mum »

LEO has always slept alot. I thought nothing of it as she is a baby. Now she is 7m/s old on the 18th, she is still sleeping almost all day. After late nights, I really have to make an effort to wake her up for her walks. i.e. sometimes we don't get out till high noon(to my hubby's envy).... Hmm, I suppose that being the case even if it's not after a particularly late night. I have to wake her up holding a piece of bait in front of her. I understand it's best to keep her on schedule, but somedays its just easier to let her sleep and do the housework first. On average, she seems to be awake only about 6-8 hours(incl. Walking, Eating, Playing). Is this normal? I don't think she is up and playing while we are in bed either. Love to hear from you experts.
Just to add, I don't think she is ill or anything. Her growth spurt ended when she turned 5m/s, when she had her first heat & UTI. Up till then she was gaining close to 2lbs a week! I did switch her over to Innova from Wellness at around that time, she is eating roughly what it says on the back of the package. She has been steady at 44lbs from 5.5m/s.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is almost a year old and she sleeps alot. When I put her out, she plays a bit, then goes and lays under her lilac bush and watches the activities around her. She really is a dream come true for Pippy. At her age a hyperactive puppy would have been more than she could handle! As it is, they both form lumpy rugs in the kitchen as their favorite 'activity'.

Lily is small and compact. She was gaining steady until she hit 28 lbs, then it trickled right off. She now goes 33-34 lbs., and I would be surprised if she gets any bigger. She is not a big eater, both her and Pip get 2 cups of food a day, and just recently I started putting an additional cup or 2 down in the evening. S0ometimes they eat it and sometimes not...they don't act or look hungry. Treats are always welcome.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has always slept alot especially during the Summer, If there's nothing to hunt why wake up. You know those Chows they want plenty of beauty sleep not that they need it.

This topic came up along time ago and we all agreed its like having an extra throw rug on the floor except the rug always seems to be where you walk.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Of the many things cats and Chows have in common, I think the sleep thing is one of them :lol: . I have two really good guard Chows - when they are awake! :lol:
We've come home and see them sound asleep on the deck. If we're fairly quiet, it could be 15-30 minutes before they figure out something is going on inside the house.
Sometimes I think Shiloh falls asleep in her kiddie pool.
Yep, they do like their beauty sleep.

Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I'm really glad to hear that. For example, today, after a late-ish night(last walk 9:30), we went for an early morning walk at 6:30 for about an hour. This is about 3 blocks max of sniffing, refusing to go where I want to go, and giving into her, i.e. out of the park to Curbside Cafe, Baker Street Bistro, and Liverpool Lils. She is after the food scent. She's done her business, had a bit of water at the tennis court, came back & went to sleep. Wakes up finally at 5:45pm we went out and did much of the same, came back after 45min. ate a bit and she is back to sleep again. No doubt she will welcome my hubby back w/ her general excitement and will be awake till we go to bed. That will total somewhere btw 4-5 hours of awake time. I am quite happy that I don't own a sporting breed but it makes me wonder if this is healthy enough for her..... :?
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Pekoe has always slept alot especially during the Summer, If there's nothing to hunt why wake up. You know those Chows they want plenty of beauty sleep not that they need it.

This topic came up along time ago and we all agreed its like having an extra throw rug on the floor except the rug always seems to be where you walk.
You're right Jeff... chows sure don't need any beauty sleep. Talk about beautiful animals. I have seen some... how do I say this delicately, "unattractive" dogs here in the past couple of days. My Koda is so regal looking next to these dogs. And Miss Molly... well we all know how beautiful a chow puppy is. I look at Sam, and know it isn't for his looks that he is loved. LOL He falls under the category of "a face only a mother could love." LOL I watch Koda and Molly both sit next to each other on our back patio, almost as if they are looking over their kingdom and it just takes my breath away.
Koda sleeps quite a bit... I never heard it decscribed as a throw rug, but it does fit. A throw rug anywhere you go. LOL Chows are just not usually really active dogs. But don't let that sleep position fool you. They may be relaxing, but if you are up and moving, you can bet the chow is keeping an eye out on things. I know Koda is sleeping soundly by the snoring.
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Leo's Mum, Leos daily schedule is almost exactly like Pekoe's, sleeps almost all day except even though Pekoe has food out all the time she doesn't eat all day, she eats after her late walk around 7 PM then sleeps until about 1 AM wakes up eats loud enough to make sure everyone can hear her ( slurp, slurp, crunch crunch) then starts pounding on the bed and grunting wanting to go outside so I have to let her out wait for her to come back in then argue with her until 2 AM trying to explain to her its time for bed so she huffs and grunts then just lays there for an hour cleaning her self, still making sure we can hear her then finely about 3 AM she settles down, Pekoes has always been a late nighter so for 8 years I have had to stay up until 3 am, even though I have to get up at 6 AM. Good thing I'm a diet coke addict I think that's what keeps me going.

Pekoe is like a Video tape that keeps repeating, wakes up the same time, eats, slurps, goes out, same 1AM to 3AM converstion every night for 8 years.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes Sirree!

Milly and Mabel sleep a lot too. Even as I type, M & M are fast asleep - I can hear them snoring. It is 8.43a.m. We got up at 7.45 a.m. and they have been out and checked the property, spent a penny, had a look at what I had for breakfast and turned in again for another sleep!
It is just a Chow thing!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Jeff you sure have a lot of patience to talk to Pekoe at that time of the morning every single day, I'd have gone crazy.
My Odessa wakes up with me around 6am and then sleeps thru most of the day (after I leave for work and her non-fur brother leaves for day care), then wakes up as soon as I am home, though yesterday I was surprised she was asleep -- I did get home around 20mins early though! In the evening she is awake and follows us around and sometimes wants to play -- "shouts" at her dad if he does not agree to play with her.
The nights she sleeps and snores loudly or licks her paws so VERY loudly it drives me nuts. But the least sound or activitiy outside or in the backyard and she "hrumps" and wakes up to check it out. And yes, the summer she spends mostly in the basement where it is nice and cool. I don't think I've ever had to wake her up though but I do have to physically push her out of the way many times as she seems to think she has to lay down right in the way or across the stairs. So though they seem to sleep a lot, I think they are aware of what is going on around them.
We fill her food bowl in the morning but she normally has part of it in the morning and the rest in the evening when we are having dinner.

Mildred
goodas_AU
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goodas_AU »

Hi,

Eating and Sleeping were Bear's favorite hobbies!(we called him a bear-rug) I did'nt get Bear until he was 2 so I don't know what he was like as a puppy.
But Tucker seems to have quite a bit of chow behavior in him even though to look at him most would think he was a purebreb black Lab. (But he's only 3 1/2 months and his looks are changing a bit) (But he'll never have that beautiful long coat! :cry: ) However , he eats, plays a little, sometimes gets the "Zoomies"in the afternoon. But loves to sleep! And lies just like chow, (you know that dead frog look all four legs out and flat on his belly!) Since he has more LAB in him then Bear did, I'm just hoping his energy level won't be to high!

"When your chowlings were young pups did they Play and have more energy, or were they mostly calm as they are now that they're grown?"

One quick story - I know it's getting long but I can't help it! Ilove to talk about my dogs! Bear always layed on the bedroom floor at night right in front of the doorway (when he got old) And being Black you could'nt see him very well,so evey night when I got up to go to the bathroom I'd have to step over him, usually stepping on him, But he'd never move, just hufff or yelp if you step on the wrong thing! But still would'nt move! Anyway after Bear died, I would still step over him -like he was still there- for months and months, and laugh at myself because it took so long to get use to the fact that he was'nt there! I thought it was so weird!--just thought I'd share!

Leigh
In Loving Memory of my best friend in the world "BEAR" 1987-2002

Here's to new beginnings "Tucker"
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

:lol: This conversation is just too funny! I think my Chubaka must be an "active" Chow. When I'm home doing things he is at my heels constantly. He does settle down when I do but, I think its his curiosity that keeps him going. He has to see everything I'm doing. He has to sniff the mail, the groceries, anything strongly scented like perfume, incense, fabric softener, etc. Whenever I'm taking laundry out of the dryer he has to check inside just in case I might have washed his "babies" (his stuffed creatures). Out in the yard he has to "supervise" my gardening projects.
I do think that as he is getting older he is sleeping more. Some days I come home from work and there is no Chuy waiting at the door. I'll put my things down and then I hear him jump off my bed and pad down the stairs.
All of these reports are putting my mind at ease about my puppy who will arrive in June, Magda. I had thought for years that I just had an unusually calm Chow. My parents seven month old Chow/Lab mix is a storm (her name is Gina but they call her Katrina) of constant activity. They cannot let her out of their sight. I actually laid awake last night worrying about the "puppy behaviour" and whether my house will be chaos for months on end. :?

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

Tovya, I was so glad to read that your's is very active. All of mine are. Sometimes I wonder when they sleep. LOL. Everybody has to see what we are doing are usually all 3 are underfoot. The puppies are still learning that it's not nice to jump up on us when we are sitting on the couch. The 2 oldest dogs jump up where there is open space but not the puppies. They think your lap is their landing pad. LOL. They are looking in the fridge when it's open, catching the sheet when I make the bed. They are everywhere. :D Not that I mind, I get the biggest kick out of them. :wink:
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
Murphy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Murphy »

Hi, Murphy is active when he wants to be and sleeps a lot when he is bored or just wants to bake in the nice California sun. Kind of manic depressive I'd say with zoomies through the house or yard one minute and being the sleeping log the next hours. He can be very calm and appear to fall asleep or jumpy and stick his butt up in play posture. Gotta love him!
- M & M, Michelle and Murphy
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Oh, I definitely agree, Sandie, about them being very amusing. I'm totally not complaining about Chuy following me around. When we were in Vermont last week staying with my friend, Chuy got so many compliments for being so "cute and playful and well-behaved". He's active but not in the way. He just wants to "be with his Mum". I'm hoping that Magda will pick up his habits and calm energy.

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Well I'm glad to see this topic because Gracie sleeps alot and I've been feeling so bad because I thought she was bored with me!
Gracie doesnt seem to do a deep sleep really. She hears something she is right up checking it out. Whats funny is she sleeps alot in the day time, with on and off wanting to go out for a walk, clear into the evening will beg to go out, not because she has to potty, but because she wants to be outside. But come 8:30 or 9:00 she's off to bed.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special sleeps a lot too, but he is also a light sleeper...which is just so odd because he makes the sweetest, loudest snoring sounds and you'd think he's fast asleep, but he's not! :D Have any of you ever noticed whether your chows are having pleasane dreams? Special once seemed to be nursing in his sleep! My husband noticed it and said he tried not wake him because he was dreaming about his mommy! :D Then yesterday, he made some very scary sounds in his sleep, he began breathing heavy and he made swift movements with his paws, I called his name and he woke up and he came immediately over to be hugged, which he hardly ever does asks for. Could he have been having a nightmare? No doubt it was a giant squirrel or something...

His food is also out all day, but he also eats around 7pm. He gets up in the middle of the night to have a loud, long drink, but the cute crunching sounds are reserved for day! :wink:
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Coco sleeps alot during the day unless there are little bunnies to chase in the yard or my son is home. I am always tripping over him in doorways and always have to be very careful when I move my chair at my desk becuase chances are he is lying right behind me.. He doesn't snore but sometimes he makes cute little grunty noices when he sleeps and his feet are always moving. He does have his moments when he has boundless energy and once in a while he does his zooomies and will start at the back door and come running and jump on me... I am very greatful that doesn't happen too often since he weights about 50 lbs.
pasish30@gmail.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Does your chowling sleep all day?

Post by pasish30@gmail.com »

WHY MY CHOW CHOW IS SLEEPING MORE ?
HE IS 3 MONTHS OLD...
AND HE DOES N OT BARK AT STRANGERS AT ALL.
HOW TO MAKE HIM ACTIVE???
HE ONLY STAYS WITH ME ...
NOT GOING NEAR TO PAPA AND MAMA