Wolf Cub and Loose Stools

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Patti33610
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wolf Cub and Loose Stools

Post by Patti33610 »

The breeder had Ming on a food by Diamond and I switched him over to Solid Gold Wolf Cub. I had only enough of the food from the breeder to mix it half and half for only abot a week. He has been on it totally since about the middle of December. He has had loose stools, somedays runny since he has been on it. He had a reaction to one of his vaccines and for three days I had him on boiled white meat chicken and rice and pumpkin, gradually mixed the chicken mixture half and half with the dry and started supplementing with Solid Gold Seameal twice a day (breakfast and dinner) mixed in his kibble with about 1/4 of a can of Wellness. The lunch feeding is only dry food. He has been on that mixture for about 3 weeks. I will also give his live culture yogurt about 3 times a week. His stools are still varying from loose to runny. Is it time to try a different brand of kibble and if so what are your recommendations.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Wolf Cub and Loose Stools

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How do you know its the Wolf Cub causing the loose stools when your adding all that other stuff to it, Pekoe would have runs all over the place if I just gave her one of those Foods alone. I'm pretty sure if you added and switched foods like that with any kibble your still going to have a problem. There's nothing wrong with any of the foods below but I think it might be the combinations and switching. I feed pekoe dry only nothing added but when I switch from normal to senior, same food, same manufacture just a slight difference in ingredients she has loose stools from the senior with out adding anything to it.

Solid Gold Seameal, 1/4 of a can of Wellness, culture yogurt about 3 times a week, boiled white meat chicken and rice and pumpkin
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Patti33610
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patti33610 »

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. Ming went on the chicken and rice and pumpkin because of diahrrea. That cleared it up and then we gradually started adding back the kibble. Stools became loose again but not too too bad. About three weeks later he had the vaccine reaction and the yogurt and seameal was recomended to help boost his immune system, I added the small amount of the canned food so I could add the supplement. After the additons we were still okay for about a week and then started to get really runny again. I guess I'll try cutting everything out but the kibble and see what happens.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

patti, im no expert, but i was just wondering how much of the sea meal you were giving ming?? perhaps it may be too much, being that he is only 10 wks old. try cutting it down a bit.see what happens. also has the vet checked him out for coccidia??? my luna had a case of it when she was a wee one. took a while to get rid of.
good luck with ming.keep us posted.he is adorable btw.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

The yogurt might be contributing to the loose stools, especially if it is the whole milk version. Yogurt doesn't have that much potency in terms of probiotics, but the refrigerated probiotic capsules do. There is a probiotics research thread, that gets bumped forward from time to time, in case you haven't see it.

If the Diamond formula contained 'beet pulp' your pup probably didn't have the type of gut flora established to deal with Solid Gold without 'beet pulp'. The seameal would have helped if you used it earlier, as would probiotics capsules. It takes time to build gut flora (gut immune system) when moving away from 'beet pulp' formulas. You might consider switching the yogurt to probiotics, and continue building the gut flora, or choose another brand containing 'beet pulp'.
Patti33610
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patti33610 »

Ming will be 4 months old Feb 1 and is 23lbs, I was giving 1/4 tsp twice a day, started at 1/4 tsp once every other day and gradually increased it. The yogurt was whole milk. I will look into probiotics and also a puppy food with beet pulp. He really like the Wolf Cub so I might try cutting everything out but the kibble and try it with the probiotics. Thanks to everyone for their input.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Excerpt: 'The Puppy's Changing Digestive Ability'

Many gradual changes occur as the puppy develops and its ability to digest foods changes. To cite only one example, the number of lactose-digesting enzymes gradually decreases, while the ability to digest cooked starch increases much more slowly. These variations explain why some puppies cannot tolerate cow's milk (which is three times richer in lactose than bitch milk), and why it is sometimes sufficient to limit the amount of cow's milk fed to stop diarrhea caused by exceeding the digestive ability of the lactases.

http://www.caninehealthnutrition.com/Th ... puppy.html