Mommy yelled at me!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Mommy yelled at me!

Post by Salandra »

Jasmine here - Yikes! Mommy yelled at me! ME! Princess of the house! Ok, I snarled and bit at the cat but I missed! she was begging for a bit of chicken that should have been MINE! I can't believe I have to compete with a CAT to get a bite of food!

This is Rhiannon the CAT - Don't listen to the prissy DOG. She was mean and growled and snarled, then lunged and bit at me and so mommy naturally yelled at her. **tail swish** She could have hurt me bad. Besides, I was just walking along, not even asking for any food (yet) so the dumb dog shouldn't have done that. My little head could have been severed in one chomp of those huge jowls of hers.

Yup, I was scared. I've never seen Jaz do that before and Rhi is so small Jaz would have bitten her in half if she connected. They usually both sit at my feet and beg for bites, which I don't give out anyway, and tell them both to stop begging. I make Jaz go lay down and keep pushing Rhi away until she goes off also.
This time Rhi was just walking up and Jaz did this whole ferocious growl-lunge-snap thing and chased Rhi across the room and I'm freaking out and yelling at her.

Is this Jaz getting older or was it just a bad day?
I've never had dog/cat problems and don't want this to start happening! :cry:

Just had to vent. Thanks for listening.
~ Sally
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"Is this Jaz getting older or was it just a bad day?
I've never had dog/cat problems and don't want this to start happening!"

I think its called Chicken, I know if Pekoe had to compete with a cat for a piece of Chicken the cat would be a side dish.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Patti33610
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patti33610 »

Chen my last chow was a special needs couragously challenged girl. Everyone could eat out of her bowl, have her toys and treats and she would just passively watch. She was afraid of her own shadow (and I mean that literally, the shadow was a mean monster). When it was people dinner time it was a whole new game. She would lunge across the room and growl and snap at all. I soon learned that when my boys were over with their dogs that the visitor got to spend dinner time in the bathroom. (After all it was her house). We have cats and she never bothered them, but the cats were grown when we rescued her at 5 months old and she was always submissive to them. I know it was probably petty of me but I enjoyed the small episodes of assertiveness. It was the only time we saw it.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I would think it was just the chicken. Kody my previous Chow and my cat Misty grew up together for 14.5 years and whenever there was special food (even If I was just cooking it or eating it myself) or treats involved she got growled at and snapped at many times over the years. I too yelled and chased him off but I think it's just survival/greedy instinct in them. 14.5 yrs of showing my displeasure over this never helped but I also still have the cat. Others may have specific advice for you. I was never sure what to do but he never hurt the cat...just made mamma good and mad.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

We call Cheyenne mrs.Hyde.The sweetest thing in the world with us (most of the time) she runs from the cat (most of the time) and she's afraid of everything(most of the time).But outside she turns into a vicious monster,when she sees a squirrle,or the neighbors dog,or a cat,she goes blind.Corrections only make it worse.Your best bet is to drag her to the stairs and hope she'll let you drag her upstairs.
Once inside it's done,she's fine and back to normal as soon as the door closes behind her.
But once every now and then the Jack Russell will tick her off or the cat ,and once even the toy poodle,always over food.My husband is not trainable at all,so he just keeps feeding them off the table.Which means i have to throw myself on a 55 lbs spitting chow every now and then.
Always on high alert here!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Desi...lol! You are so right...husbands are not trainable and throwing yourself on 55 pounds of spitting chow made me laugh and laugh! Lord love 'em tho...the chows and the untrainable hubbies.
:wall:
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Emperor Ming and Tempest here...

Our spa (daddies call it the spa but we know it's really the vet's office) has a resident cat. We know, isn't that awful???? Who would want a cat hanging around? Well, unless of course, it's for dinner...

Anyway, we have found (through bitter experience, let us tell you) that nothing drives a family apart faster than chicken. But, the good news is that CAT TASTES JUST LIKE CHICKEN!!!!! I (that would be Ming) managed to grab that nasty old cat at the spa (his name is Buster) and, let me tell you, it's definitely the other white meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Cinder here: Yea Ming! Cats are food. I keep explaining that to Mom but she doesn't let me at the cats at the spa here either!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

LOL! Thanks for all the comments. I guess it must have been the chicken, although I hope Jaz doesn't find out that cats taste that good!
Like I said, most of the time they do not get any bites and just sit and drool. Letting Jaz have the piece that fell to the floor probably made her crazy.
I know she has a bit of food aggression when other dogs are here and I just didn't think anything about the cat being in the way when she was half way across the room.
I guess I need yelled at to be more careful [-X
~ Sally
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh! Oh! Oooooooh!
Milly and Mabel here - Jasmine you should not bite the kitten-cat - Mummies love cats and it is stupid to be unkind to them 'cos if you hurt your cat you will really be yeeeeeelled at!
You must be kind to her and smile at your Mummy and say you are sorry.
You can whisper in the cat's ear that you will carve it up properly if she tries to get your chicken treats again - Oh! Oooooh! - we love chicken treats - but don't let your Mummy hear you.
Be a good girl Jasmine. :)
Cat - watch it! :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special D here, Jazzy oh no! I think you'd better be carfeul, but I like Milly and Mabel's plan of doing so. :D :D :D I think there are stricter rules on kitties if tehy live with you, but I'm not sure because thankfully I don't live with one. :D

Ming and Tempest! Yes, yes, our "spa"( :roll: ) also has a loose kitty. I hate him. I try so hard to just come in and sit there being dark and cute as I am apt to do, but then the horrible thing comes over as close as he can without actually getting in reach and arches his back and hisses at me. What's a chow to do? Mommy and daddy roll their eyes at all the techs and receptionists and then they finally LAUGH and shoo it into a room. Oh sure, but if I were to lunge and growl and bark, I would get a dirty look. It's not right.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Oh, dear! Mommys computer broke again, so I couldn't let you know how good I've been. I've been trying really hard to be a good girl and leave the kitty alone. I like Milly and Mabel's ideas of letting the kitty know whats really gonna happen...I'll whisper in her little pointed ear whats up.
Special you are soooo lucky to not live with a kitty person! I live with TWO!! But just one is a little snot the other one stays away from me like a cat should behave.
And Ming and Tempest and Cinder, and everyone else, yah, cats should be on the food chain. Why doesn't mommy understand that?
*hrmpf. snort.*
~ Sally