Exercise

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Exercise

Post by Maxwell »

New to the forum! I have a 4 month old pure cinnamon chow named Maxwell. how much exercise should he be getting? i don't really walk him right now because i am 7 months pregnant and have to force myself to get out of the bed to take him out to pee. but he does run around the apartment when he is not in his crate. potty training is going fairly well. and he has not been neutered yet.
Carmell
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Walking Maxwel

Post by Judy Fox »

:) Hello Carmel. Regarding walking the chowling, Maxwell, as his legs and young body are still forming, not too much excercise - but it would probably do you both the world of good to go for a nice little walk every day.
Good for the little boyo and good for you when the time comes to give birth to your baby.(Unless there is some reason your doctor does not wish you to walk).
Walking will not only stimulate his young body, but it will liven up his chowling mind - pups need to see things and hear things and smell things and if there is somewhere nice nearby to walk him for a little while, it will benefit him.
It is not always the length of walk, but the quality. We have two chows, Milly and Mabel who I think are probably cinnamon colour and they love a walk of about an hour. However, this does not mean that we walk miles and miles with them in that hour. They stop and sniff and grunt and mutter to each other about what is about and sit and watch the ducks and swans on the park lake etc. We never let them off their leads as Chows, specially Milly and Mabel are not good off the lead - they will not come back when called. If the weather is not too good or we are pushed for time, we make sure they have a small walk and the walk we choose for them under those circumstances is one that only lasts about 20 minutes but stimulates them and they come back tired but satisfied.
Good look with both the Chow boy and the coming baby.

Judy, Milly and Mabel (who love new babies and are waiting for our latest addition to our extended family to visit from South Wales!)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

walking

Post by Maxwell »

ok thanks! i know it would do us both some good, plus i have 3 other children that need to get out! i am going to have to try and get him out, once the weather allows. it is somewhat nippy at the moment. but thanks again
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Cinnamon Colour

Post by Judy Fox »

:) Hello Carmell, again - yes, I agree the weather is a problem when it is cold and wet and soggy - specially with a youngster of your chow boy's age and with three children. Anyway, good luck - even just ten minutes would do him.
How old are your children? You are going to have a lovely lively household with a new baby as well.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

my kids are 6, 3, and 2. my son is on break for 3 weeks, so i started him taking Max for a small walk. since he needs to get out also i figured it would do them both some good.