Seeking Breeder Recommendations

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

island chow lover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seeking Breeder Recommendations

Post by island chow lover »

After losing our chow to cancer a year ago, we are ready to grow our family once again. I'm feeling quite challenged as there appear to be no breeders in Washington State, and web searches on sites like PuppyFind.com have such a mixture of seemingly reliable and clearly sleazy ads, that I'm not sure which way to turn. Can someone recommend a breeder that I could work with?

Also, I had females in the past (these are pets and not for breeding), and am considering a male this time. Are there clear differences in terms of temperament and/or behavior?
David Rogan-Levine
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't know anything about them but they are in Washington.

http://www.threebearschowchows.com/

Leatherwood Chow Chows- 4227 Boston Harbor, Olympia, Washington 98506, (360) 352-4030

Try these also,

http://www.chowwelfare.com/

http://www.bestfriends.org/atthesanctua ... s/dogs.cfm
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

Hi Island Chow Lover,

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry for your loss of your chow last year. My Bear died 2 years ago and I still miss him. I have Bones my 5 year old 75 pound male. I'm sorry that I can't recommend a breeder to you, but wanted to comment on the male/female chows.
I have only had make chows and both have had the aloof with strangers, loyal and protective with family members. With both my boys I experienced some growling at strangers but I have found that with a combination of my vigilance of not letting them alone with anyone unfamiliar and some socialization we came to a place that they and our family were comfortable. They are usually outside when we have a party and when a few people are over we let them in to visit if they want. Of course now its just with Bones and in our new house we have an ideal situation in our back family room where he can be outside, but see everything going on inside through the glass doors and windows. He sits on the stair facing the yard and looks back regularly to check out whats going on. He seems very content with this and I feel less nervous because I have control over when he sees someone and can coax him along and praise him for being gentle.

I can't speak to female dispostion as I have never had one but can speak to your other post about 1 or 2 puppies. I love having 2 dogs together but you must consider it is twice the grooming, $ for vet and food, and yard training etc. On the flip side, it is twice the love and fun!

Good luck and keep us posted! Why island chow lover? - excuse my ignorance if washington is an island, I didn't think it was???

Debbie and Bones
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

My first chow Sasha, was a female. She was nothing but a little lady. Protective of me, but also not near as hard headed as my 7 1/2 month old male Koda. Now whether the difference is a gender thing or just the difference in chows, I don't know, At this point, since Koda is still just a puppy, I really can't go into alot of the differences yet. I do know as a personal preference, I prefer a female dog of any breed. I don't particularly care for the habits of male dogs. Koda was a surprise Christmas present to me from my kids, and that's why I have a male now. They didn't think a male would make a difference to me. And it doesn't now that he is here. I love the boy with all of my heart, but my preference is still a female, which is what we will be getting in another week. Good luck with your search.
Nancy and Tai