Bad breath, what can we do?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kampui
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bad breath, what can we do?

Post by kampui »

Hi guys,

Our dear mookie has developed quite a case of some bad doggy breath lately (maybe they're supposed to have it), but we've been noticing it more and more lately b/c it's just been starting to smell more and more now. Anything we can do? We've been giving him cheweez and rawhide bones to chew on, but obviously they haven't really helped much. Do we need to start brushing his teeth? How difficult would that really be?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin.

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Sorry I can't help with the breath issue, just had to tell you how much I love your picture! :lol:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

WEll you can try to brush the teeth. It is a nightmare of a job for us to Brush Buttershe just wants to chew on the toothbrush His breath is a little rank as well. We try the breath bones. There is suppose to be something that you can put a capful of in their water and it is suppose to help although I don't know much more about it. But if you brush use dog toothpaste so you don't get them an upset tummy!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oooo, Ooooo ( I am putting my hand up)

I know the answer. (well, at least I think I do, LOL!)

I have been giving Mia a spoonful of Chlorophyl and it works fabulously. I mix it in with her food or water and it really works. (Puppy breath is one thing, but she was breathing liver breath on me, Ugh!)
Mia
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

The only advice I can give is not to smell anytime they breathe near you. Probably not all that helpful though...I do love the picture though. So squishy looking!

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Stupid question... where do you get chlorophyll???
ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh no, not stupid at all.

Some natuaral pet stores, but easier is to go to a health food store. It's liquid and comes in a bottle. I give her about 1/2 a teaspoon per meal.

It really does work.

LOL! Of course, ColeyWoley has a point, you could point her mouth in the other direction and try not to breath. LOL!
Mia
kampui
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kampui »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mia, I will try yours out! Thanks!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

raw bones are the best toothbrush a dog can have!! Wilbur has a couple a day and no bad breath ever (except after a dinner of sardines!!).

By the way Mookie is just adorable.

Sabina

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

Rowlee wrote:raw bones are the best toothbrush a dog can have!! Wilbur has a couple a day and no bad breath ever (except after a dinner of sardines!!).

By the way Mookie is just adorable.

Sabina
i agree. i feed rylee just as sabina feeds wilbur (sabina introduced me to the raw diet) and her teeth are so white n clean and fresh smelling
new chow mum to a beautiful furgirl.. hooked 4eva