Sullivan not doing well

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

So sorry to hear Sullivan's not doing well. Hope you receive good news from the vet today.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Not sure about deramaxx, but I know a lot of pain meds cause edema. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sullivan, so sorry you are having such a tough time.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks again for everyone's kind thoughts and wishes.

I was halfway printing out Kiwani's article when I had to leave for the vet, but now I have it.

All of Sullivan's blood levels were normal -- one of her enzyme levels was even down from last time -- how that happened, I don't know. However, the vet thought her tumor might be larger and that some of the squishiness in her stomach might be tumors. Though, she's also gained about 7 pounds in the last six months which would be good in a human with cancer but it's harder on her legs obviously. She's not eating more, so it could be her slower pace walking which she's still doing quite a bit. I'm not putting her through xrays again, so we pretty much have to gauge everything through how she walks and by touch.

Anway, we're keeping her on 1/2 a Deramaxx right now, though Kiwani's information about anti-inflammatories possibly affecting bone regeneration is food for thought. But since it's helped her pain so far and her blood work hasn't changed (except for the better?) she'll continue on that for now. We also added 50 mgs of tramadol which we can up if it's not working. I did pay for this round of tramadol for her, but I asked the vet if it's the same as for humans, which it is. Since I also take at least 50 mgs of tramadol a day and only pay about $6 for a 30 day supply(rather than $19 for hers), I think we'll be sharing a prescription.

So, again, thank you everyone. I'll keep you posted. She just took her first tramadol tonight, so it's too soon to tell. Tramadol doesn't do much for me so I'm happy to give mine to her if it helps. Up the establishment, man :lol: :!:
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thats great news Deb.I'm glad Sullivans holding her own \:D/
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
jerseyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jerseyp »

I'm sorry for what Sullivan is going through. My older chow-lab mix just had her second fibrocartilaginous embolism (spinal stroke) and was put on tramadol. This works really well for her. She was on deramaxx after her first one and it also helped with walking and pain but it had some bad side effects. If I gave it to her a few days in a row it seemed to upset her stomach and she would eat a lot of grass and get sick. She was also very lethargic on these days so I wouldn't give her any and she'd be fine in a day or two (but had nothing for her pain). If you watch her closely she'll let you know what's right for her. A lot of people thought we might have to put Nala down when this happened because she is 14 years old but she is now walking (only about 100 or 200 hundred feet at a time), goes to the bathroom outside and has an overly healhy appetite due to the prednisone she is taking. Good Luck.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Thinking of you and Sullivan.
(((((((hugs)))))))
~ Sally
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I'm glad you got some good news. I hope the new medicine helps. [:D]
ImageImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so glad that her blood levels are better. Hopefully the new medicine will help

David
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I just want to post a cute story about Sullivan
while I'm thinking about it. Sullivan has
always been good at the vet, except when she was younger
and got her nails trimmed. And then she was
just a squirmy worm and it took
2 or 3 people to hold her. But, whenever
she's had to get something ouchy done, she's
always buried her head in my chest like an
ostrich thinking if she can't see it, it
won't happen. She still does it, so for all
her I'm the diva queen attitude, she's just
a baby at heart. That's one thing I'm going
to miss -- her vulnerable moments.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

That is very sweet. It is something that you will look back and treasure when her time comes. I have a few "Tuckerisms" if you will which I think back and smile at.
ImageImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just store the memories in your heart. [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hugs to you and Sullivan, you'll be in our thoughts.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks again everyone. We just heard back from Ohio State, and we are planning to donate her when the time comes. It will be free to euthanize her, and one of my friends who has euthanized her dogs there said they are very compassionate. Plus we hope she'll be able to contribute to bone cancer research.

I hope that day will be a long way off, but of course there is no way of knowing. I'm trying to make decisions while I have my wits about me.

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Aw Debbie, even in this tough time you are thinking of others. How you!

I am sorry you are going through all this.
Mia
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm sorry you are having to go through this, too. [:D] thoughts and prayers your way. [-o|

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chichini
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chichini »

pfordeb, i hope everything goes well to you and sullivan :)