Blow Dryers?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Blow Dryers?

Post by fillyok »

I'm tired of taking my pack to the groomer. The last time I took Bear (we went to Petsmart since it's close) he looked absolutely miserable while he was getting brushed out. I'm thinking I could save some money and save them the indignity of a stranger handling them if I do it myself (already have good clippers). I took Sammy to one of those self-service places and they had an awesome blow dryer, but didn't catch the name of it. I've been thinking about investing in a good blow dryer, but I'm afraid of buying one that doesn't do a good enough job or blows up after a few uses.

I'm looking at the K9 II, but really don't want to pay almost $400 for a dryer. I've been thinking about checking local groomers to see if they sell their old dryers.

Does anyone do their own grooming at home? Any advice on dryers? Thanks
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I used to use a blow dryer when Holden was a baby and he tolerated it just fine. But somewhere down the road he became terrified of it so I just let him air dry now. I can't see the point in making him scared. If he doesn't like it, fine, but that just means he has to wait a lot longer to go outside!
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think a high powered human dryer will work the same thats what we used on Pekoe and all I have ever seen the few groomers we have had use. I can't see a groomers dryer being any better, more heat and power seems like it would burn them.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I let mine airdry. Never had any skin problems from it so why change :D

I think professional dryers are less drying to the fur???
Thank you Elodie!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I think a high powered human dryer will work the same thats what we used on Pekoe and all I have ever seen the few groomers we have had use. I can't see a groomers dryer being any better, more heat and power seems like it would burn them.
We are just about to buy a proper dog dryer for Wilbur due to his fondness for all things to do with water. Whilst investigating this, we have discovered that you are not supposed to use human hairdryers on dogs, apparently as Layla said, they are drying to their skin. Dog dryers are expensive and we are also thinking about maybe finding a good second hand one. The one that was recommended to us by Wilbur's breeder is AUS $1500.00!!! Having said that we always used a human (mine to be exact) hairdryer on Rowlee, but I know the professional ones blow cool air, not hot and they are so powerful you see the water blowing off the dog's coat.

Sabina

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Ok, then set the human dryer to cold air, I don't know one from the other, I'm just going by what i've seen and I have used on Pekoe. Pekoe is far from being the well groomed Chow about town so I'm sure there is a differance in blowers, A blower is a Blower to me, Set your Vacuum on blow or put them in the oven that will do it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Jeff&Peks wrote: A blower is a Blower to me, Set your Vacuum on blow or put them in the oven that will do it.
[-X :lol: :

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I take Gabbana to a do it yourself grooming place, they have high set bathtubs, grooming tables and blowers. I've tried grooming gabbana at home.. depending on your water pressure (ours is low) it takes a good while to get everything wet (back hurting already), then shampoo, then rinse (again taking forever), then if you use conditioner and then rinse really well again. So here is the result (from my personal experience): I have spent at least 2 hours bent over, I am soaking wet, my bathroom is soaking wet with hair EVERYWHERE! I need to purchase draino because the hair has caused a clog (even if you have a hair catcher thing) and i'm stuck in the bent over position because it hurts to straighten out. :-x Chow is soaking wet, even after towel drying and in summer it has taken her HOURS to dry, and by hours I mean about 7.... Human blowdryer doesn't work well (at least for Gabbana), it takes a long time and it's hot even if you hold it far, cool blast means you have to hold the button down forever, she hates it.

I'm not sure if this is what you are refering to, but the thing they use at groomers is a blower, is blows high pressure cool air, they definitely cut drying time because they literally blow the water out of the hair. They are also great because they remove all the loose hair as well. And more of a plus Gabbana doesn`t mind it... just have to be careful around the ears and bum area.. but hey, I wouldn`t like high pressure air around those areas either :shock:

Never ever again will I wash Gabbana at home, unless it`s an emergency (like when she escaped and I found her smelling like vomit... :-8 ). Granted you may have better outcome if there`s more then one of you :). However, I highly recomend finding those do it yourself pet washes, they provide everything, you still do everything for your doggie, and you pay by the weight of your dog and there is no time limit.

Best of luck

Olga
Sorry about the novel...
ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was talking about one of those high pressure dog dryers. The one I used on Sammy was awesome. The loose fur and water went flying off of her. She didn't mind it too much. I think the noise scred her more than anything, but she tolerated it well. I would love to keep taking them to the self-service place, but it's all the way across town and times 4 that would be some hauling.

Princess, do you remember what brand they used at the place you take Gabbana to?
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

I have my own set up at home . Bathtub up of the ground so I'm not bending over all the time. And a professional blow dryer. It works awesome its a K9II. Works great blows the water right of the dog. Both my chows love it,it has 2 different settings on it. A regular hairdryer that we use would take hours to dry one of my chows with the professional one it takes about 45 mins. and there completly dry !!!!And the hair just flies !
thanks sweetpea
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Do you need to comb the fur while you're drying? Or do you wait for the
fur to be dry to use the comb and brush?

(I'm asking because I gave Coco her 1st bath last week end, and I wasn't
sure on how to proceed)...:oops:

Thanks
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

hair dryes for people are inadequate , IMHO ,, better than a poke in the eye with a stick but not much.. maybe if the coats not so thick but this guys GOT a COAT ...
i watched the industrial strength model work at the breeders ,, NO HEAT .. just FAST concentrated air ,, blew the water off with out heating,, brush rake and comb while blowing..

the air came out so fast the water just flew off him,, he loved it , the pressure of the air gave a good skin massage...

i don't think you need the 400 dollar one unless you got a kennel full to do..
theres 100$ ones blow 18000FPM i like the master blaster .. maybe santa will bring me one for christmas along with a raised bath tub ..

28000 feet per min some advertise , thats six miles a min or 360 mile an hour... whooohoo
the good ones look like a vacum cleaner with a flek hose ,,
humm i wonder is a wet/dry shop vac would work ..

http://www.groomers.com

http://www.groomers.com/search.asp?SKW= ... &catID=636

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Coco Chow wrote:Do you need to comb the fur while you're drying? Or do you wait for the
fur to be dry to use the comb and brush?

(I'm asking because I gave Coco her 1st bath last week end, and I wasn't
sure on how to proceed)...:oops:

Thanks
Just my way of doing it.... I use a special hose attachement to improve the water pressure, shampoo, rinse, conditioner, rinse, towel dry them then when they are damp brush them out. I use a towel that is like a little doggy bathrobe... the more they shake they more they dry themselves :lol:

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=191927
Thank you Elodie!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thanks Layla!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

If you have any problems, just send little Coco over to me for a bath..... I'll send her right back... promise :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Great! Now I really want the K9 II model. With 4 furballs in the house, I'm afraid to go with a cheaper model. Less than 8 trips to the groomer and it'll be paid for. :wink:
Besides, it might cut down on the amount of times I have to vacuum. The crazy weather here in South Texas has my babies coats going crazy. Yesterday it was in the 80s and today it feels like the 40s.

I also started looking for built-in bath options. I really think if I stay where I am, I'm going to look into adding a doggie shower in the garage. It's like a mini walk-in shower minus the door. I'm afraid that since my recent shoulder surgery, my lifting days are over.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I broke down and bought the Metro Master Blaster (Christmas/birthday present). It's INCREDIBLE! I think it might take the paint off the walls if you're not careful. :shock: Seriously, it arrived on a Friday evening and I couldn't wait, so I tricked Tod into being my first victim. It was a circus just getting him into the bathtub (my right arm is only about 40% usable). After the bath I wasn't smart enough to put him into a smaller room...he ran around the room like a crazy, wet mutt. After about 15 minutes I decided he'd had enough. My bed was in shambles and I had to strip the sheets/blankets. The dryer has so much power, but you can control it somewhat by only turning on one switch. I tried using both and it blew papers, dust, etc all over the place. The nice thing is it's room temp/cool air, not hot air.

My plan was to get Ping on Saturday, but she was too fast for me. Sunday morning, before my coffee, I was able to grab her (mind you, she weighs 60+ pounds and my arm/shouder is severely limited) and put her in the tub. I think we looked at each other with the same "What the heck" look. She was really good for the bath and this time I was smart enough to put the dryer in the small, empty bedroom. I was also smart enough to grab a leash and pull her into the bedroom after the bath. Throughout the drying process you would think I was skinning her alive from the looks she gave me, but she was fairly dry in a very short time. I swear she pranced around the rest of the day like she knew she was all clean and pretty.

I have a shoulder check-up on Wednesday...after that, I'll attempt to bathe Bear...all 85+ pounds. :roll:

My rating for the Master Blaster: 4 Paws Up
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

You are one brave woman! Pictures of the pretty chows please :lol:
Thank you Elodie!