Unusual question but need advice

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Unusual question but need advice

Post by Laura »

The replies on the foreclosure dog post has prompted me to post something that has been bugging me lately and I think you guys may be able to offer advice.
I am worried what would happen to my dogs if me and hubby died together. I have 3 family members...total! My husband, one aunt, and my dad. That's it. My aunt has 5 rescue dogs that she can barely handle and my dad...well...not the taking on 2 dogs type. So I am concerned what happens to my babies if me and hubby die prematurely. I have a life insurance policy and I have told my aunt she will be 2nd beneficiary but that she must handle finding my dogs wonderful homes. She adores animals and might just keep them but you never know...her hubby would freak...blah blah. Anywho I thought about some of the chow rescues...there are none here in the south presently but there are those in Texas, Maryland, Cali, etc. My thought process was big donation from life insurance policy to a certain rescue with the condition of taking and finding GREAT homes for my two and having my Aunt handle the ins and outs...flying them there...whatever. I guess my question is first of all what do you think of my plan and secondly do any of you have personal relationships with any of the rescues? I of course don't know these people or how to go about any of this. All I know is I won't have my two wind up in a shelter to be pts and w/out family I don't have alot of options. I guess a Chow rescue would be my only hope but we all know how full and over-run they always are so I don't know how much help they could be either. :cry: I'll be the crazy old lady who left her life insurance to her dogs...lol. Anywho if any of you actually know rescue people who I could discuss this with that would be great or any other ideas. Thanks!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Unusual question but need advice

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think alot of us have that same problem, but my problem wouldn't be so much having someone to take care of Pekoe its finding someone that would take care of her the way she is use to and the way I have taken care of her. Everyone would probably feed and give them water but not the inbetween stuff, walking and out in public. I don't think to many people would put up with walking Pekoe they wouldn't understand she walks them at her pace. I have already had to train people with a week of on the job training just to walk her around the block. I don't even turn the leash over to them untill after two day certifiction and a test. then I watch and yell at at them for the next 3 days and thats just walking.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I have it specified in our trust that X% is to be allocated to rehoming our pets. I also have it noted that specific people on this site can be contacted to help my Chowdren in this process. Whether you are formal with preparing a will/trust or just writing a statement, I think it's good to state how you want your furkids and other pets to be taken care of.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I don't think that's an unusual question. I've wondered how to plan for things like that myself and I'm not sure how to go about it.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I already thought about it myself.

In France, it is forbidden by law to leave anything to an animal. :roll:
I would have to leave money to someone to take care of Coco (if my parents are not with me anymore).
But who?
And how to be *sure* that they will give her what she needs, like Jeff said, what she's been used to?
It's a question without answer for me yet...

I totally understand your concern.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

This question has been big on my mind too. No one in my family would take mine and they wouldn't hesitate to take them to the shelter. I have been meaning to talk to the rescue that I foster through to ask if they would take them should anything happen. Come to think of it since mine are all rescues, they are supposed to be returned to the rescue if I can't keep them for any reason, per the contract I signed. The only problem is that Boogie came from a different rescue than Teddie so they would be seperated. Hmmm......now what do I do?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I have it stated in my will that if DH & I should die Millie (& now Alf) are to be homed with two of our friends that understand her & would treat her as we do. A percentage of our estate goes to them to ensure that they suffer no financial burden as a result of this. Both our families love the fluffy butts but I don't feel that they are right for M&A..... This way, nobody argues, M&A don't get seperated, & there is money set aside for them.
Thank you Elodie!
midnightstars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by midnightstars »

Maybe we should start something on this site seeing we are all chow lovers, If you have no one to leave your precious fur kids to that someone from the site might take them or make sure they go to good homes. We could be our own rescue it could be written in your will you may chose someone your close with on the site and the executor of your will could follow through. Just a Thought.
Sandi

STAR YOUR FOREVER IN MY HEART
3/20/93 - 2/1/07
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Sandi,
thats a great idea about having someone on the site find a home for your chow.I've thought about that myself because everyone here really
understands chows.you couldn't just put a chow in just any home.
I have a very small family.my mom and my brother(who lives in Florida).in my will I put my brother in charge of finding homes for my 2 chows.
my brother is a dog lover but does not understand chows.my Chyna would give a normal dog person a nervous breakdown :shock: .I too, worry about if something should happen to me.
I guess theres no easy answer.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I allotted an X amount to my chow should she outlive me. My son loves animals but he doesn't want pets. I wrote an attendum to my will. In case of a tragic event, my chow is to go to a no kill shelter or to you wonderful people :) I have a small life insurance and part of that money is to go towards the care of my chow and two cats. Should my son and I both parish in a car accident, I have a note stuck to the fridge instructing whoever???? to contact chowchow.org I have a brother who doesn't care for chows, he feeds dogs the bar b qued T bone of his steak. Every summer we go through a fight because he insists of giving the bone to my dog. I don't want my chow to go into his care. He's old and fat. If he doesn't care for his bod, why would care about a dog's? There are no other family members, no chow friendly friends.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

My husband and i have had this discussion numerous times. Almost everytime we are on our motorcycles it is discussed. We do not have a will drawn up and i know we really need to get off our rears and get it done. We are very fortunate that my parents are dog lovers they would take Jade and Nanook with out even thinking twice about it. If for some reason they couldn't my brother in law is the only other person who knows how to take care of them the way we do. He is very irresponsible with some of his own matters but when it comes to our kidz he is the best "uncle"
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Before I knew about Legalzoom, I went thru an attorney at the cost of about $2K to set up a trust. A trust is probably more than most would want but I would recommend it. I have used Legalzoom to set up my parent's trust. But the company also has other products to set up wills, power of attorney, etc. at a very small amout (i.e., my parent's trust cost under $300). You don't have to finish the document - I would stop short of paying for it - it is saved in your account...so you can keep changing it until you're happy with the final version and then pay for it. I'm not trying to push the Legalzoom product - just letting you know that's something I did for my parents.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

What a perfect question! DH and I have been thinking a lot about this aince his dad died. It's horrible the way his family has acted since. Now at least I know I can will Ginger Snap to you guys on here to take care of and love, any suggestions for Sophia...the two year old human kid?

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

This is a good question. I like some of the responses, but my problem is that Butters is a bit of a hand full. I am not sure that even you great Chow lovers would want to take him. My parents would be an option as they love and spoil him but if they don't last I don't know what to do for him.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

It is a great question!!

I have no family and I have left all my earthly belongings to "the care of my chowdren". I have listed a friend (who knows my pup and is in love with them and has chows) as the recipent of my chows and all the money I have to take care of them. (Just so you don't all get the wrong idea, I have no kids and no family - so I am not slighting anyone.)

The yard is finally fenced in and I am thrilled that my babies have everything they need. My will will provide for their caretaker to build a fence or add whatever they need, and if for any reason she cannot care for them, she can pay to have them cared for until she finds them a QUALIFIED new home and the remainder of the money goes to the new person.

I love my babies and am not ready to get a new pup, but I will be happy to stand in for someone who has no family, to take care of their baby as THEY WOULD. You all know that I am crazy about chowlings and would care for them as I do my own babies (who I treat better than some people treat their kids.) You can come for a home visit and interview me to your heart's content. Don't leave me all your money, as long as I keep my job, I am fine.

If I didn't have the good friend that I do, I would worry like crazy. And, if anything should happen to change this circumstance, I will be up a creek with no paddle. It may sound strange to say, but I would trust some of you all on this board who I have never met, before most of the people I have met. I know a lot of nice people, but they just aren't "chow-able" people. Either not able or don't know how to care for my special chow babies.

There are plenty of people (s'cuse me Jeff) who say they are dog people, but wouldn't hesitate to smack or whack their pups for small little indiscretions which would just horrify me. You are all right, it's hard to find someone who would care for your babies the way you do. And, Jeff, I would be the same way. I spent a week and half watching the next door neighbor walk the pup (there was just Mia then), giving instructions every moment, before I let her solo.

It's funny, I just realized that all of us Chow-pents are as stubborn as our chows. (Especially you Jeff. Although, you would be the kind of person I would like to care for my babies if I went before them.)

Anyway, I would also be happy to form a little board that takes on the responsibility for finding homes or homing babies whose human parents have passed. I think it would be great to have a group of people involved, that way the parents could feel safe that their babies would be taken care of and monitored by a group of people who would accept responsibility for the care to be up to muster. It would be great, because the group could take in the baby immediately, (we could take turns fostering or whatever), and then take care to ease the babies into their new homes.) By the way, I call all the kids "babies", don't ask me why.

I like it. Let me know what you all think.
Mia
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Lise,
I think thats a great idea.I too,would trust people that are cc.org members more than I would trust anyone else.
we are all versed in chow habits and quirks,where other people might think a chow snort is a growl.
even though I've never met anyone here in person I feel most comfortable will you all.
I would be happy to participate in your great idea :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".