Black Eyed Peas and Cabbage....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Black Eyed Peas and Cabbage....

Post by vicster605 »

Traditionally throughout the South on New Years Day we eat Black Eyed Peas and Cabbage......
Black Eyed Peas are considered to be a symbol of Good Luck and the Cabbage represents Money or Prosperity
Some believe that you should eat at least 365 Black Eyed Peas so you have 365 days of Good Luck throughout the year.
Just wondering if anyone else does this or if you have something else you do on New Years Day???
If you've never heard of this maybe you should give it a try...can't hurt :wink:
Anyone make any New Years Resolutions???
Mine in order are:
Getting Kearra & Kyra to get along..... new rules are now in place and are being enforced.....Thanks Mel :wink:
Getting in shape and lossing the 20 NEW #'s I put on.... :roll:
Eating better
Finding a new job THAT I LIKE :D
Having a Boxing Day in my closet :roll: This one starts day after tomorrow
OH and trying to keep my big mouth shut
:lol:
Just wonderin' what you all were doing today and in 2008??? :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I've never heard of eating black eyed peas and cabbage.

I don't like to say I have New Years Resolutions (because I can never keep them) but I am going to try to:

Help Holden and Hannah to get along

Get some home improvement projects done

Try to lose the weight I've gained since losing Tucker
ImageImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yup I know all those, although I didn't know about
eating 365 black eyed peas. We also do pork.

No resolutions. Too discouraging for me, even if
I need them. Though I do want to keep Sullivan as
happy and healthy as I can.

Game's tied, got to get back in there. Go Gators.

Vicki -- good luck on the 7th. Hopefully, I'll be able
to stay awake for it. If Florida and LSU win, I bet
the Big 10 will rethink playing SEC teams. Though I've
heard some jokes about Southern teams playing in the north, especially in January. That might make things interesting or at least a little more balanced.
courtsey of Sweetpea
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I had not heard about the 365 peas, but that would need to be 366 since this is a leap year. :)

For those who haven't heard about the custom/superstition, it started in the South during the last part of the Civil War. When the Yankee invaders came through, they burned the houses, barns and crops, carried off what they could and destroyed everything else of value to the people in the area. One of the very few things they left was blackeyed peas, since they mistook them for cattle-food. Anyone who had a good supply of blackeyes was REALLY LUCKY!! Those who didn't have blackeyes starved, which was considered unlucky. :(

HAPPY AND LUCKY 2008 to ALL!!!!!! :D :D :D
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

In the past, when I had a few people over for dinner, I made cooked cabbage w.caraway seeds and beef brisket. The 365 bl.eye peas bring luck. I mixed them in with the green bean salad with pieces of apple to prevent gas. I have made corn bread too. Love it.

On my father's side, the men going back to 1800 were seamen. My father was born near the north sea. After midnight he'd serve us potato salad with matjes herring. He's no longer around, I continue to eat potato salad with herring. I wasn't able to get any matjes this time, I had the salad with smoked kippers, close enough. That's my traditional new year's day dinner.

One new year resolution, I will brush my chow more often. She hates being groomed, I am no fan of it either.
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I find things like this so interesting. Lets see this is what I did. Yesterday, I spent 9 hours cleaning the house from top to bottom, giving away things we no longer needed and throwing away a lot of things that weren't worth anything. Last night I made Tamales for the boys which is a Guatemalan tradition over the holidays. Today, I made some mochi for the family shrine. My mom was shinto, so I try to make offerings for her. I also made a pine and bamboo kudomatsu to go near the shrine. I called a few friends and took the boys ice skating. I am not sure if holidays in the US are becoming watered down due to everything being focused on sports or shopping but as a kid I remember New Years being a big deal with family. Perhaps it is because my mom made it that way, but I know very few people who observe it in any special way

David
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh yes, I have the black eyed peas and collard greens. I went to a New Year's Soiree and they gave everyone a little dish of it to take home. (Soiree is the word old people use to show that the party ends at about 9 and you are supposed to go fall asleep on your own sofa waiting for the new year.)

My resolution is to be more thankful for my life by spending more time reveling in playing with the puppers, laughing with friends and chilling out at work as it is only a means to make money to help me eat and not my life.

I want to have more fun and worry less. That's my resolution.
Mia
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

By New Year's Day, we are pretty much done with all the holiday "eating". Just after Christmas, we packed up all of the leftover homemade cookies, candies, and other treats that neighbors and friends gave us and gave them to a homeless guy asking for money in the Trader Joe's parking lot. For some reason, this past year, our diet got away from us and we gained some excess pounds so we are jointly making a resolution to eat better and do a bit less wine.
The past few years, we've made it a tradition to play volleyball on New Year's Day. We do play every weekend, but we now have a "tradition" to start the year off with playing on the first day. We did that today - and OMG! what a perfect beautiful day! All the VB courts were full...this was unlike 2 years ago when we played in the rain, and last year, we played after raking off the hail off the courts!
New Year's Eve was a long night. The neighborhood started with fire crackers at 10:30 and at midnight, add horns, pots and pans banging and kids screaming. My two were totally upset with all the commotion. I spent the night on the couch - jumping up every few minutes to hug them and tell them it's okay.
I wish everyone and their Chowlings a great New Year for 2008. I know that some of us had a very challenging 2007 year with family members and friends as well as our Chowlings.
No black-eyed peas for us but hoping for good luck this year anyway.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Volleyball, sounds like fun. Beach volley ball in the snow here, LOL The polar bear club members dived into freezing cold Lake Ontario at noon today.

I threw a snowball at my chow, we got fresh snow overnight.
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Oh I thought this was a Musical thread didn't realize it was Food.

Black eyed peas is a Hip-Hop group, I thoughtthey added a new memeber named Cabbage.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I thought of another one. Does anyone throw
their change on their front porch on New Year's
eve, or did my mom make that one up?
courtsey of Sweetpea
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I heard about the black-eyed peas on New Year's from the Food Network a few weeks ago. That's alot of BEP's to eat and not get gas! My mom use to make candied Cecci beans (garbanzo beans) for New Year's day. But for New Year's eve, we had to have a long noodle dish and mochi floating in simmering water. Long noodle to symbolize long life/being alive through the new year. Mochi floating to symbolize prosperity and being afloat and not to be in debt or indebted. Floating mochi had to occur at midnight.

David, where I work, they did Japanese Bell Ringing ceremony on the 30th for the new year. This Saturday we will be having a traditional mochi pounding. Come on by!

Deb, in my ethnic American culture, throwing money out the door on New Year's is well... throwing money out the door. However, when a new home is purchased, we traditionally hold a housewarming party. Before the party starts, at each corner of the room and each window, we are suppose to throw money at the corner and out the window to symbolize good luck and fortune in the investment.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

I consider myself very lucky and haven't eaten a black eyed pea in my life,and why would you eat cabbage if you have money :lol:

When I was younger I used to be so hungover on New Years day I'd rather not eat at all,lol
Later we used to go eat at my mothers house,and she usually got Chinese take out ,she never liked cooking.

Today we had dinner with the neighbors,she cooked the one thing she knows how to cook,pork,carrots and potatoes,and Don made antipaste.

New years resolutions?I'd like to loose weight and I need to start working out again.
Will start when we're done eating the leftovers.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

It was just JR, Cheyenne and me for the start of the New Year dinner..kinda lonely...so we just all had eggs....the furkids LOVE eggs!
Sure would have liked to share black eyed peas and cabbage with someone.
Still having a tough time with my "new status"
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I went to work today.......

New Years resolution: to not let something bad happen to me in Asia... my chowling baby needs me..
AHHH i leave in 3 days and soooooo not mentally prepared to part with my baby!!! :cry:
ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sharons Chows wrote:It was just JR, Cheyenne and me for the start of the New Year dinner..kinda lonely...so we just all had eggs....the furkids LOVE eggs!
Sure would have liked to share black eyed peas and cabbage with someone.
Still having a tough time with my "new status"
Sharon
Sharon, you're not the only one, alone. I don't feel alone anymore because there are so many of us. Loneliness is not healthy. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking. I just throw a bunch of stuff into the slow cooker. It does it all by itself, 8 hours later, I have a good meal. I still cook for two.....or three. This way no need to cook the next day. An old lady lives up the street, sometimes I deliver a meal to her. I'm alone too, but I am not.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Princess wrote:I went to work today.......

New Years resolution: to not let something bad happen to me in Asia... my chowling baby needs me..
AHHH i leave in 3 days and soooooo not mentally prepared to part with my baby!!! :cry:
How's it going with Gabbana and your mom? On your jaunt through asia, you might find a chow you may want to rescue? Have a safe trip.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Oh I thought this was a Musical thread didn't realize it was Food.

Black eyed peas is a Hip-Hop group, I thoughtthey added a new memeber named Cabbage.
LOL @ Jeff. :lol:

As for New Years Resolutions...don't have any. Why would I, I'm already perfect!! :wink:
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Karin, Mom and Gabbana are actually doing good! Mom thinks Gabbana is really cute but still kinda big LOL... She is trying to discipline her like you would to a child, by shaking your finger at them LOL it's cute to watch. I've been telling her that she's like a two year old, always must keep an eye on her and if you don't want her getting into something, get it out of her reach. And she still doesn't know about the couch... :shock:

Apparently there are a lot of strays in Asia, it's going to be devastating.... I'm a sucker for stray dogs, of any kind.... and you're not supposed to pet them because they may have rabies...

On the interesting note of Russia and strays... Mom said that there are no kill-shelters in russia. They catch strays (even in moscow), sterilize them, then let them back out in the street.. They now form packs and sometimes attack people because they are hungry and I guess some people bring table scraps to feed the ones that hang out the complexes of houses.

Sorry Vicster, totally off topic of new years resolution.

Thank you for your concern,

Olga and Gabs
ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Olga, that's alright...I am so excited for you!!!! I hope you have the adventure of your life!!! But remember safety first ok? :wink: Oh and take LOTS of pics :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh yes Olga, Vics right, safety first.

Have a wonderful, safe and exciting trip. Give us an thread once in while to let us know how you are doing.

(Notice how I used the word "thread" like such a chowchow.org pro.)
Mia
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Thank you all very much!!!!!!!!!
Less then 12 hours to go... sooo nervous....

I will definitely try to check up on you guys!

Hope everything is well and everyone take care of yourselves and the chowdren!!!

Olga
ImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Have a wonderful trip. I'm envious. The very
first time I ever went out of the country was
to Japan and Hong Kong. Loved it.

I know all chows have cute butts, but that shot
of Gabanna's could win a beauty contest, just
perfect.