Malibu Fires, Can't wait untill next Santa anna's

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Malibu Fires, Can't wait untill next Santa anna's

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If anyone wants to know what its like living in Beautiful Malibu Ca, Here is a House under construction that I have been Inspecting from the ground up. These pictures were taken Last week.

Check out the View.

This is the same House, pictures taken today after the weekend fire.

The View wasn't damaged.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Somebody's dream home, gone, what a shame. Nice spot. The foundation appears to be damaged too. Who did it? How can that happen?

Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

This is just one home of I think 44 homes that burned down this weekend, it happens every year during what we call the Santa Anna winds. Dry hills, dry brush, heavy winds = fire. It's usually either a downed power line or arsonist. This weeks fire they think was possibly arson because there wasn't any power lines were it started.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm sure these folks had construction insurance,
however it's really not much of a consolation prize
when your dream home has gone up in smoke.

I saw on the news there is a class action law suit
against the power company for not maintaining the
trees and brush under the power lines.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Guess you will always have work huh, Jeff??? :roll: That sucks.....I thought they put those fires out....geez I need to watch the news more :oops:

Thanks Sweetpea!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

So now they have to rebuild. At least they were lucky enough to not have any of their treasured possessions in there yet.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

What a shame! Sure was a lot of destruction with this one. I heard that they thought there were some kids camping that had built a small campfire that got out of hand. That info may have been changed by now.

Jeff-what type of work do you do? I remember you mentioning that you are up in LA all the time working, but wondered what it is that you do exactly? I am a GC, 3rd generation. Mostly industrial & commercial projects, but I personally do a lot of reports and forensic inspections, expert witness, etc.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

JH wrote:What a shame! Sure was a lot of destruction with this one. I heard that they thought there were some kids camping that had built a small campfire that got out of hand. That info may have been changed by now.

Jeff-what type of work do you do? I remember you mentioning that you are up in LA all the time working, but wondered what it is that you do exactly? I am a GC, 3rd generation. Mostly industrial & commercial projects, but I personally do a lot of reports and forensic inspections, expert witness, etc.
Mostly Building inspection and code enforcement in Hawaii and san Francisco. When I moved to LA me and two friends an Architect and GC started a consulting business they spend most of their time in the rich area's I prefer the rehabs downtown, I don't have to worry about pools, Inhome elevators and bowling alleys. I prefer lets say the less fortunate areas and doing rehabs for housing authority. Since Pekoe got Cancer two years ago I try to do as little as possible as fast as possible so I can be home with her, I hate leaving her home alone for more then a few hours. When I lived in SF I always took her with me but here in LA its way to hot for her to be running around construction sites. I have an A, B and Electrical License but haven't ever used them, just wall hangers to make people believe I actually know what I'm doing. I moved to LA for Pekoe's Cancer treatments but now I think were stuck here, not becouse of Pekoe but we got to settled, Pekoe has a big yard and a nice park across the street and likes it here plus I can leave her home and not have to worry about her. I guess I will just stick it out as long as Pekoe does.

I think my favorate part of working downtown is no one speaks english so I don't have to talk to anyone and no one bothers me, When I drive up all I hear is people yelling something about immigration and running, Hmm, I wonder if they are talking about the Lunch Truck.

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

What bothers me, a lot of wood was used on that house. Trees had to die to build this house, all for what? Wonder where the wood was from? BC pine or cedar?
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Mostly Building inspection and code enforcement in Hawaii and san Francisco. When I moved to LA me and two friends an Architect and GC started a consulting business they spend most of their time in the rich area's I prefer the rehabs downtown, I don't have to worry about pools, Inhome elevators and bowling alleys. I prefer lets say the less fortunate areas and doing rehabs for housing authority. Since Pekoe got Cancer two years ago I try to do as little as possible as fast as possible so I can be home with her, I hate leaving her home alone for more then a few hours. When I lived in SF I always took her with me but here in LA its way to hot for her to be running around construction sites. I have an A, B and Electrical License but haven't ever used them, just wall hangers to make people believe I actually know what I'm doing. I moved to LA for Pekoe's Cancer treatments but now I think were stuck here, not becouse of Pekoe but we got to settled, Pekoe has a big yard and a nice park across the street and likes it here plus I can leave her home and not have to worry about her. I guess I will just stick it out as long as Pekoe does.

I think my favorate part of working downtown is no one speaks english so I don't have to talk to anyone and no one bothers me, When I drive up all I hear is people yelling something about immigration and running, Hmm, I wonder if they are talking about the Lunch Truck.[/quote]

I was thrown off since you have San Diego listed under your name. I didn't realize that you actually lived here. Such a coincidence that we do very much the same thing for work. (My name is Jeff too by the way). Sorry to hear about Pekoe. I hope she is doing well and the treatments are helping her. My wife is not well, (has COPD) which really limits how much time I can spend away working. I know what you mean about not wanting to work on all the luxury residential stuff. Sometimes the people are a bigger problem than the houses. I have been doing a lot of bidding/project supervision for a couple of different contractors in South LA/Hawthorne, but would really like to do something closer to home up here in the Valley. Traffic is such a pain--just leaving the house is a major ordeal anymore. (Did you see the freeway chase with that idiot that carjacked that maroon car this morning? It ended about 6 blocks from our house. The LAPD airship sounded like it was right over the house while they were following it down the 134.) Anyway, maybe we will run into each other one of these days.