Breath In...Breath Out!!! Thanksgivng Stress....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Breath In...Breath Out!!! Thanksgivng Stress....

Post by vicster605 »

Anyone else cooking?? Since my Mother-in-law fell ill 4 yrs ago...Thanksgiving has moved to my house!!! Seems our Family crowd has grown this year, and instead of the usual 15-20 we are looking at a crowd of around 35-40 :shock: :shock:Aunt is here from Belize, Daughter is home with her 4, relatives that usually can't come because of work....emmm not this yr. :D Its supposed to rain...and they are ALL COMING.....
OK I'm breathing....in....out...in...out :lol: :lol: House is clean....Mother-in-law is cooking the Turkey....I got the table and chairs for 20 set up (looks like SHIFTS this year) :lol: :lol: I don't think I get to eat with the kids this time :roll: Its been a long time since we had to do SHIFTS when it comes to eating.......
MENU:
Baked Turkey
Fried Turkey
Stuffin' cornbread and Belize dressing....YUCK...My daughter and I make the cornbread one for us :lol: :lol:
Baked Ham
Fried Deer Roast (Just for you Auddymay) :lol:
Mashed Pototoes and Gravy
Sweet Potatoe Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole
Peas
Deviled Eggs
Rice and Beans (A Belize thing)Everyone brings something and I do the sides and some desserts and bread...my dh fries the Turkey and does the deer roast
Desserts as far as the eyes can see......yup, I'm good....now what do I do with the girls???
If I put them in a bedroom Kyra is gonna bark.....if I put them in the house by the pool, someone may let them out in the mud and rain......Too many people I know they are gonna freak....so someplace quiet I'm thinking.....maybe Kyra in her crate and I'll go take them for a walk on their leash.....ummm maybe a sign on the door.....DON'T LET THE DOGS OUT>>>WOOOF>>>WOOOF WOOOF>>>>!!!! when I need to get OUT :roll: I can say I have to walk my girls....shoot now I have that song in my head....WHO LET THE DOGS WOOOOF WWOOOOF :roll: :roll: Nope I'm NOT stressin'!!!! :lol: :lol: I always seem to stress a little cuz I want everything to be soooo nice so a glass of wine later may be just the ticket :wink:
Yup, just thinking out loud.....helps to keep forcused :lol: :lol:
HOPE EVERYONE HAS AN AWSOME THANKSGIVING!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Phew, I need a nap just reading your list!! LOL
SweetPea Rocks!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My menu, for me and the two chowdren.

Mushroom Soup Supreme
Cornish Hens with wild-rice and port dressing
Glazed baby carrots
brussel sprouts with pecans
brown buttered soda bread
mincemeat pie

This year Thanksgiving also falls on the date of an ancient festival called "lampteria" a festival where the the followers of Dionysos would dance on Mt. Parnassos twirling burning branches. In honor of that I will have a few small bowls of wine around the house and lots of candles...should be a fun night...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I get to cook, I'm not even up to date on this holiday so I had to do my reading before I could even brave the store! I've got cleaning of house & chows today, then baked turkey, glazed ham, creamed cornbread, green beans with crisped onions, yams, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, pecan pie, pumpkin cheesecake, How am I doing?

Chows get turkey backs :D
Thank you Elodie!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I too am having Thanksgiving at my house. Holden knows everyone but my older sister and her kids so once he calms down from them getting here I think he'll be fine. He'll hang out with me in the kitchen looking for hand outs :shock:
ImageImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Victory it sounds SOOOO PEACEFUL at your house...where did you say you lived....I know,call me with a good EMERGENCY and I'll be right over....ummm in my mind anyway :roll: Menu sounds YUMMY!!!ummmm you better watch the bowls of wine, could get drunk Chowdren...Oh I forgot everyone doesn't have a Kyra at there house :lol: :roll:
Layla....yum creamed cornbread that sounds good, Never had it before.....I may need to try that one sometime.....rest of your Menu sounds YUMMY too!!!!! Your doing GREAT just don't burn anything :lol: :lol: Keep telling myself it will be fine as long as I don't set anything on fire :lol: :lol:
NAP :shock: :shock: DID SOMEBODY SAY NAP??? :shock: :-? OH I WANT A NAP....

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

OMG...you people are making me hungry and tired!! :lol:
Will somebody come over to my house and do a Door knock Dinner??? For the first time in, well I think this is the first time, Mark and I are staying home and doing nothing and it sounds like heaven to me!
I think we're having hot dogs! :lol:
Ok, Ok...they ARE Turkey Hotdogs!! :lol: :lol:
I'm always open to charitable donations of left overs!

Victory...I can't wait to see the video of you guys dancing around bowls of wine!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Wow - vicster! Sounds stressful but fun! My family has spread out now so no more huge family gatherings..
for the past couple of years - just me, DH, daughter, and grandson - except this year my grandson is in Texas with his dad for the holiday.

Smoked Turkey, Garlic Mashed potatoes, Sausage/Cranberry stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, steamed asparagus, pecan pie (I'm heating the smoked turkey and my daughter does the rest :lol: - she loves to cook.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all Chowparents and their Chowlings!!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Cooking? I thought you just called Ralph's and they deliver it all in a box or you offer to feed the poor and get a free meal, no cooking involved.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Since my relatives all live 5500 miles from here they won't be stopping by for thanksgiving.
DH''s relatives are having a huge party where everyone will be intoxicated in one way or another by 4 pm,so we'll skip (gosh,I must be getting old,I used to think of parties like that as fun!).
We'll be spending turkey day here,with our neighbors.
On the meu:
regular and smoked turkey (hmm,that's 22 lbs of bird for 7 people,something tells me we're up for another month of turkey caserle,turkey soup,turkey sandwiches and turkey salad)
candied sweet potatoes
2 kinds of cranberry sauce (husbands idea to have 2 kinds,would someone please explain to him he's a diabetic and he shouldn't be eating it AT ALL)
stuffing,enough to stuff 6 birds
neigbor is bringing green bean casserole and mashed taters
two kinds of pie for desert and ice cream (husbands idea of course)
pepcid (dogs will need it too)
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Sounds great to me layla, except the creamed cornbread, just sounds weird. But lots of weird things taste good. the other day I went to a sandwhich shop and had a meatball sub with creamcheese mmmm good.

We still do not have our stuff just loner dishes and furniture. the movers were supposed to be here the last two days, but still nothing. but I was determined to make my dinner anyways. So I found the deli sells fresh turkey and they even slice it for you. For half a turkey all meat I payed $7 cheapest I have ever paid. Here is the rest of our menu. Allot smaller than normal, but it is only us and the important thing is luckily we are all together for the holiday. (Hubby does have to work and daughter has to go to school since we only get German holidays off...there are allot of German holidays).

Turkey
cornbread stuffing
mashed potatos
cranberry sauce
corn on the cob
deviled eggs
macaroni and cheese (baked not the box stuff)
and of course our fake wine sparkling apple cider!!

So basically just the basics and traditional foods. But it is gonna be great.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Vicster--I usually have quiet holidays, not much family left and we don't go see one another, no one likes the weather where the others live. And the wine will be where the chows can't get to it, with the candles...

Bama--I might do a bit of dancing with candles...don'e expect videos, unless Dreamdance or Firesong learn to use the camera, (and they just might in revenge) Hehehe, but I might get new pictures of them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Oh Vickster, I don't envy you. I cooked last Saturday,
turkey, stuffing or dressing, corn, dinner rolls, 2 types of vegtables and 3 desserts for my everyone who lives here and some friends, tomorrow, I am going to my sisters to spend thanksgiving with my immediate parents, we are a small family, there will be 7 of us and that is our entire family including grandpa, auntie and cousin. good luck I will be thinking about you tomorrow
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

We do the family thing every year. Those who can make it. My moms family all mostly still live in our hometown so all the kids, grandkids go home. We don't have as many as we use to but on an average we have about 30. Sometimes more cause most bring extras.

Today I made homemade apple pie (my 1st attempt we will see if anyone dies)!! LOL Tomorrow help out with the rest of the food!!

Last year I had a small one here it was kind of nice. But I like the big family gatherings.
SweetPea Rocks!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

So ummm Desi need my Turkey Gumbo recipe?? :lol: :lol: That reminds me, PEPCID!!! :shock: Yup, gonna need some of that today probably:wink: Years ago when I was younger I used to have to go to my Dad's for Thanksgiving then drive 45min to my dh's Mom's and pretend to be hungry...and I remember thinking ALL this running and driving to eat twice.....my Dad passed away and then the dh's Mom got sick, NEVER in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I would be having the huge Thanksgiving Dinner at my house every year. I guess when I wasn't paying attention someone passed on the tradition to me.....all I know is you have to be Thankful every year for who is there because next year could be very different....I remind myself of that and try and remember to have fun :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I love to cook Thanksgiving dinner. I'm actually kind of disappointed this year, we have two Thanksgiving dinner to attend and both groups said to not bring anything. I won't get to make anything...although I may still. Everyone can always use a few extras :lol: ...maybe some desserts or something. Fortunately, Christmas for my family is at my parents this year so I've already volunteered for that dinner.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL!!TJordan......If someone drops you know it had to be the pie :lol: :lol: But probably if it isn't up to snuff you will find it either in the trash or still there after the Dinner is over :roll: I should know!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Oh Vic I am SOOOO envious of the fine family gathering. My family used to do that...there'd be about 40 of us. I had my parents and inlaws a couple of times. But our most fun (with my deceased husband Dave) was in having Friend's Thanksgiving. On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we would invite anyone we knew who didn't really have a family to be with for that day to our house for the "works and wine." It was a great way to really feel good, and make other's feel good as well. I LOVE cooking big meals, but I get a little more frazzled as I get older.

Now THIS YEAR... I am in a "testosterone free" zone!! The boys are off to Michigan for the weekend (left this morning around 4 a.m.) and it just me and 12 paws!!! THAT'S what I am thankful for

-- a little time to reflect on a sad year for so many of my friends and the joys that have come with each day of living. To celebrate Caity's 15th turkey leg, Leela's love of everything "mommy," and Godzilla's success in trimming down while remaining the "big dog and first line of defense." To celebrate having a second chance at love. To celebrate good friends that will keep me on the phone all weekend because they want to make sure i'm not lonely.

And to celebrate finding this group of people dedicated to friends, fur, and family!!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

ummmmm Do you make the Pumpkin Pie today or tomorrow??? :oops: First time on this one.......

Thanks Sweetpea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Five for dinner at my house. We will have:

Roasted Turkey
Mashes potatoes & gravy
Sausage stuffing
Whole and jellied cranberry sauce (homemade)
Squash
Home-made apple sauce
Corn
dinner rolls
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie

This is Lily's favorite meal of the year, because Grandma gives her lots and lots of turkey, even if I protest.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Trying to do the math... hang on have to take my boots off.

8 grand-kids 4 kids (30's) son has three dogs, daughter has three dogs, we have 12 dogs of our own 6 live here and 6 are waiting for their forever home. They all boss us around, kids and dogs.

Terrina started cooking this morning. One turkey is done that one will be for sandwiches and snacks. The one tomorrow will be for dinner.

Lots of pies veggies and a bit of kibble too. Oh the total 14 people and 18 dogs.

Watch out for the doggy poo :lol:

Larry
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

WOWWEEEE!!!! I think you get the prize for the most Dogs :shock: And ummm most dog poop :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Over the years I had lots of big dinners for Thanksgiving.
Things have changed alot.

Am taking my Mom to my Aunt {her sister} in New Castle, Pa. My Aunt has dementia and won't know a lot...my 84 yr old Mom has definately had her share and still does the past months...my uncle {their brother} has come in from England for a week and doesn't know Thanksgiving....my middle cousin is cooking and he "ain't the greatest" and whines a lot...his older brother {my favorite cousin} lives in Pittsburgh and is not invited...the middle cousin has a hateful vendetta against him and wife {HOW SAD!!}...and their sister can't fly in from DC until Friday {but she is a know it all and gets to me and everyone else!}...and my son's family has Thanksgiving with my daughter in laws family this year.
So there you have it...my "delightful" dysfunctional family....WHOOPEE!!!!!
I even invited Alan but he can't handle any of them...so my furkids are going to his house and who knows what Alan will cook for him and them
And on top of it all...it is supposed to snow and I cannot deal with driving in the snow on a Holiday.

However, I just finished making homemade cranberry compote and a rasberry sour cream jello...picked up a decent large Pumkin pie for my Mom to take {no time for me to do homemade this year} and as soon as I get to PA...I will make the stuffing for cousin...he "doesn't know how"...and I even make it to taste just like it came out of that poor big bird. I cannot see how he can spoil the Turkey...I sure hope he can deal ok with that one!!!!! I even asked him if I can take home a nice bag of turkey back for guess who's????????????????? They love Turkey back!!!!

Just think of me driving home in the dark and the snow Thursday night...I am leaving my Mom for a couple of days with her siblings...and then I drive back on Saturday...thank goodness it only takes 1 1/2 hours each way.
But no matter what...it is still my crazy family and spending time with them!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, your families and the Chow kids.
How about.... A poor Sharon day and sending me care packages from all of your above mentioned wonderful dinners...oh Yummy!!!

Sharon and of course my fluffy chow gobblers...JR and Cheyenne

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Just Forrest and me and maybe our son so very low key. Turkey breast and the rest from boxes. Why bother when the boys don't care and don't like most food. I was actually going to make homemade lasagna which the boys would love but it's the only day of the year Forrest will choke down turkey. If only they were chows. Oh wait, they are picky eaters -- yeah they're chows.

Of course not really cooking will leave me some time to watch the dog show on NBC. I have mentioned my dog addition, so just knowing a dog show is on is reason enough not to cook.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Happy Thanksgiving America! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)