Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home

Post by kingalls »

Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home by Rupert Sheldrake - I just picked this book up yesterday at a garage sale. It's quite interesting. During the work week, I normally get home around 6PM. Shiloh waits at the sliding glass door while Mr. N stakes out the gate. I can hear his bark as soon as I turn off the car engine...then the thunder of him running down the walkway to pair up with Shiloh to watch me walk through the front door. Our weekend schedules are not predictable. No matter what time Jeff & I drive up, they are at the gate. I have even parked on the street instead of the driveway but they are there. Jeff is usually home before I am so he will start watching what they do around the time I would be coming home. Should be an interesting experiment! The book indicates that they know when we intend to leave for home - not just when we arrive.
Karen
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Dogs that know you're coming home

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Hi Karen -

I have cut the engine of my car a 1/4 of a block from home, and coasted to the curb in front of the house. It never fails: Orso is there at the gate when I stop the car, wagging his tail and whining at me. There's no fooling him. It's a trip, isn't it? :D
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

:!: That is so like dogs, isn't it. When we get in, M & M are sitting in the hall, side by side, waiting for us.
Also, when we take them out, they know before we tell them, where we are going.
For example, when we walk down to the paper shop to pay for the papers or whatever, we have to walk out of our avenue and straight up. However, if we intend to go the park, we go out through our front gate, down a little pathway at the side of the bungalow next door and then turn right to go to the park. To go up to the shops, we turn left at the bottom of the little pathway. I hope that makes sense :? .
Anyway, we have noticed that Milly and Mabel seem to know which way we want to go and immediately start on the correct direction. We don't know how they know - we have experimented by making sure that my purse is in my pocket without them seeing and so on.
I tell you, these chows are clever!! :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)