The Purple Tongue Devils Road Report II

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Purple Tongue Devils Road Report II

Post by BigTrucker »

Well, the young Hailey and I have been on the road again since Thursday (8/16). The trip started out with the hurry up and get nothing done before leaving (The Garden of) Eden, NY which happens to be Headquaters for my Super Hero, The Purple Tongue Devil. We embarked on our journey to Grove City, PA...with our ultimate destination being Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada. Our trip started out real smooth. We were running ahead of schedule (for a change). Since we were home for a few days, our biological clocks were geared for normal business hours. When on the road, business hours are far from normal...then you have time zone change to factor in. Ussually, our first few days home are spent winding down and catching up on sleep...then we do our household duties and so forth. Same applies when we first get underway...the first few days on the road are spent loading and getting back into the rythym of long hours behind the wheel. My first day back on the road after time off is not my most productive day. With that said, my last day on the raod when I'm enroute to the house, is my most productive day :lol: . Its like a horse when he gets within eye sight of the barn..they tend to pick up speed. This last time off...we really didn't get the power down we needed...so this start up seemed a little harder than ost times. However we covered plenty of ground which puts us here in Bismark, North Dakota. I must say this...every truck driver has a preferred lane or area they like to run for one reason or another. I enjoy my trips to Canada. My favorite places to run must be Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota...These three states, for some reason really make the trips easy going...its easier for Hailey as well. There are plenty of area's to stop and walk her and enjoy then country side without getting hassled. There are some other places that are nice as well...New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine are nice to see on the eastern seaboard. Upstate New York (being that I live there) is always good for us. There's alot of nice places all over the U.S and Canada, however I prefer the less traveled routes and northeren hemisphere...even if it means dealing with harsh winters. I'm still looking for that military load going to Alaska that pays well nough to where I can come back empty...so I don't have to depend on a return trip. Then there's the ice truckers...now that there gaining popularity from having the show on Discovery Channel...I wouldn't be surprised if there's a surplus of available trucks and drivers (a similair thing happened when there was a need for truck/tanker drivers in Iraq...there may still be openings, but you might be surprised how easy it is to get drivers to apply for those jobs). I still like to do it for one season...and Hailey would have to come with me. Thats the Ice Truckers Job...I thought about Iraq...but I csnnot leave Hailey behind. Its hard on pets...long periods of seperation from their owners...my brother had this problem with his pit bull when he was in the Air Force, deployed. I didn't get any pets til after the Military (USN), and inot a truck...which seems to work ot well being its just me and my super hero. With that being said...Hailey had a little accident around 5AM today. You remeber me saying something about biological clocks getting readjusted when getting back on the road...well Haileys "Dropping a Duece" ritual was scheduled for 2AM...it seemed like that was the time she needed to perform. Well, we had an ealier performance (10PM) when we crossed into Minnesota from Wisconsin. I stopped by the travel center and took her for a good walk (about 1 1/2 miles) down some country road. Everything went well and when we got back, I went ahead and got something to eat...I did my ussual (hitting up the waitress with a sob story about low morale and attitude adjustments with Hailey and how some goodies would improve my situation on the truck). Well the waitress gave me the green light to take something off the buffet. I grabbed some baked chicken and white rice for Hailey. I had the samething for dinner so I felt that this was a safe treat (not wanting to give her something that would upset her stomach). When I returned to the truck, Hailey was looking forward to her goodies. I probably took more than she needed. She ate it all and everything was fine. We drove up to Clear Lake, Minnesota, and shut it down for the night...by the way, if your ever traveling I94 through Clear Lake, Minnessota, stop at the Petro 2 travel center/truck stop. There's a returaunt/bakery by the name of Nelson Brothers. Try there Minnesota wild rice sausage omelette. Its pretty good and definitely different than typical breakfast sausage. Their bakery is also very good (assorted coffee and more). Back to our report: about 5AM Hailey started pacing (my first indication that she has to go). I got up and of course its raining...like all other chows...there is no urgency in "Dropping a Duece" if the proper landing pad isn't located...nomatter what the case may be. Well Hailey finally located the proper spot (A little runny for my liking)and back to the truck we go to get out of the rain. I must admit...my stomach wasn't feeling very well either...I was afraid of having a defcon 5 case of "The Green Apple Two Step"...after Haileys little episode...I had my suspicions. Now here's where things go from bad to worse . Hailey got a little ill in the truck (I couldn't get her outside quick enough...all over the seat it went. Let me tell you, My morning was going south fast. Just when I almost get everything cleaned up...puik and more. The day before we had our questionable chicken, I had to give Hailey her Heart Worm drops med...I did it according to instructions so I'm thinking the chicken was either bad or she had a reaction to the Heartworm preventative. I called the vet and they seem to think it was more the chicken being that I was suffering from the same sour stomach...Well, poor Hailey, it was like being in a bad cartoon. SHe's fine now and is eating and drinking...the stools are getting solid. This isn't the fisrt time I had to deal with a ill feeling chow on the road...I had a time with Minnie Me last year...sometimes it happens...ussually at the worst times. I spent most of the morning cleaning up and the truck....in the rain. Life on the road...its often not very forgiving. Hailey wants to walk now...she's feeling good. I feel like sh!t :lol: . Not enough sleep and to much time in the rain...we'll both pass on the chicken for a while. Till next report, Have a good and safe evening. We're going to push it to Bilings, Montana. Take care,

John and The Super Hero Haileys Comet
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Is there a time of day you like to drive? When I am long distance driving, I prefer late afternoon, toward twilight, and into the wee hours. Less traffic, but easier to hit a deer.
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

not really

Post by BigTrucker »

Whenever the caffine is kicking in is when I like driving the best :shock: To answer your question...I like driving when traffic is light....the 1am to 4:30am works nice but those hours will where you out over time. Hailey is ussually sleeping well during that time so its the most productive time for me. I run all hours...it really depends on my schedule and how much time I have. This week is easy...we'll drive to 1 or 2AM and get up in time for brunch. Next week may be different. We may be burning the midnight oil.

John