Tx You Got Your Boats Ready???

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Tx You Got Your Boats Ready???

Post by vicster605 »

Looks like Tx is in for ALOT more rain.....Hope you guys don't flood again.....Get your boats ready just in case :roll: Hope this depression passes quickly and doesn't hang around....... [-o|
As you can see on the National Weather that after this depression goes to Tx there is Dean out there expected to turn into a Hurricane. They will know by Sun if it is going into the Gulf Of Mexico......Way to close to the date of Katrina for me so I'm getting really nervous......say prayers for us that it goes the other way......

Thanks Sweetpea!
chris

Post by chris »

[-o|
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Rain, What is this Rain you speak of? We don't get this rain up in our part!!

It is amazing to me that the parts of Texas that need the rain never get it and the parts that are floating away just keep on getting more.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

My mom is in Arlington, Texas and she's been taking her boat on shopping trips! :lol:

Chris,
Is that your resident duck??? Everyone needs at least one of 'em!! :lol: :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chris

Post by chris »

Were you here when I posted about Steels trip to the park where the creek is? He was trying to get that duck... lol (he is currently using it as a disquise. ;-) )
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I knew it was you Steel!!! I would reconize those eyes anywhere :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
OriginalRecipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Tx You Got Your Boats Ready???

Post by OriginalRecipe »

vicster605 wrote:Way to close to the date of Katrina for me so I'm getting really nervous......say prayers for us that it goes the other way......
You most definately have our prayers Vicki. I know I'm like 15-16 hours from you, but our guest house is always open for you and the girls... and I guess you can bring the dh too :-)
To look toward the future we must understand the past.
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

OriginalRecipe wrote:
vicster605 wrote:Way to close to the date of Katrina for me so I'm getting really nervous......say prayers for us that it goes the other way......
You most definately have our prayers Vicki. I know I'm like 15-16 hours from you, but our guest house is always open for you and the girls... and I guess you can bring the dh too :-)
If Vic gets to come I'm coming too!
OriginalRecipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OriginalRecipe »

j72 wrote:
OriginalRecipe wrote:
as if we'd have a party w/o you....now all we need is Cherie, oh, and Layla, and, Tracy, and, Katalin...and...and......:-) I need a bigger guest house LOL
To look toward the future we must understand the past.
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

YAY!!! Impromptu Chowfest!!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

WOOOOHOOOO a Chow Party!!! You guys are awsome and it is definitely a fun thought :wink:
Looks like Tx is in for some BIG TIME RAIN that they don't need......I hope it keeps moving..... my thoughts are with you..... :cry:

Hurricane Dean- is supposed to be a 4 when it hits the Gulf......and the forcasters are trying to keep us calm by telling us it is HARD for them to turn so it may go to Tx or Mexico :lol: :lol: :lol:Not to worry right now as it is over 2000 miles out yet...... FUNNY huh, Mrs Smith :lol: :lol: We know they don't turn :roll: :lol: :lol: Which basically means they haven't a clue where it may be going :lol: :lol: Hurricane Katrina was supposed to go to Fla. As you all know IT TURNED :lol: :lol:
We all probably have plans to HIGH TAIL IT OUT OF HERE, don't know about you Mrs. Smith but I still have everything packed up from Katrina.....never un-packed it :lol: :lol:Hey us Katrina folks can sleep anywhere, we can bring our blow up beds with us.....and we're good :lol: :lol:
My daughter just bought a house on higher ground in Ms and we will probably be headed to her house or Baton Rouge or hey, Aren't the Smokies Nice this time of year???? :lol: :lol: All I know is if it even looks like it may come in our direction I'M OUTTA HERE WITH MY GIRLS!!! :shock:

We do have a problem though......My dh's Mother's brother (his Uncle) was flown here from Belize a few weeks ago and he is dying of Cancer at her house.......He needs dialysis 3 times a week, he is 72 and my dh's folks are in their 80's so I am pushing for them to figure out something NOW, before it becomes a HUGH PROBLEM of where to go.....Hospice is coming tommorrow so I'm hoping that they have a plan for him as he was just released from the hospital yesterday..........his insurance ran out........Thats an issue if Dean comes this way......we will work it all out, I'm sure of it :wink:
Whats bad about wishing these things don't come you way is your wishing them on someone else.......I guess I'm hoping for Mexico as Tx has already had enough rain and with storm hitting them this week the last thing they need is a hurricane to hit them after all of this....so I hoping for Mexico.....there is a high pressure ridge over Fla I think as of now, so WHO KNOWS.......
Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.....

Thanks Sweetpea!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Well, for all the TV talk about rain from Erin, we got about three drops here in East Texas, but parts of Houston and San Antonio got hit pretty hard. Houston TV news had some great footage of a couple of thoes stalled cars stuck in a low spot they thought they could get through. But one was up to its hood in water, AND STILL HAD ITS WIPERS TURNED ON !! :lol:

Looks like TJordan may have spoken too soon, west Texas is supposed to be getting it today.

There is an old Texas tale about a traveler going through where TJ lives. He was talking to an old guy from the area, and asked "Does it ever rain around here?"

"Yep",said the old guy. "You remember that story about Noah and his Ark? We got most of an inch that time."
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

LOL Jerryo. Too funny and True!!! I will keep a watch out but so far sunny and 90. But you know what else they say about our weather up here if you don't like it just wait 5 minutes and it will change!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

It was pretty bad here in San Antonio yesterday. I didn't leave the house anymore after I almost had to swim home in the morning. Today it's all dried up again, as if it never happened. I like the rain much better than this horrible heat though.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

That rain is more than welcome to move on up to southeastern Ohio, we would love some rain right about now. We have had slightly more than some other areas around the country, but the last few summers have been so wet, I guess we have gotten used to green grass and bright flowers. My dad, who loves working out in the yard threw in the towel at the beginning of June because everything had already started drying up.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Yesterday was a nightmare where I work. The big heads couldn't make a decision to release the military until many cars were literally floating in the lower parking lot. All total, I think 70 cars were flooded and will probably be totaled. Here's a link to some of the pics of the parking lot. http://motoville.org/flood/index.html

I was downtown during all this chaos, but I was on the phone last night for about three hours trying to contact everyone in my flight. Many of them stayed for over 2 hours trying to help people move their cars to higher ground.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Holy cow, I was gonna to go to Lackland yesterday, I'm glad I didn't!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Can someone please tell me what the local Tx weather is saying about Hurricane Dean???
They are saying here that it is going to be a Cat 5 by Sat Evening or Sun. and it depends on its speed, and what that Low does as to where it goes........Most of the tracking is taking it into Tx or Mexico....... AT THE MOMENT I listen to the National Weather only to a certain degree.......
OMG I think I'm going to just PANIC by then, if you live where it flooded please pack up and RUN.....don't forget your pics, important papers, family keepsakes....and your PETS food, and medication......if it comes your way LEAVE EARLY you saw what happened last time over there with the traffic. I hope it goes to Mexico for Tx and La's sake.......you guys have had enough rain and well you know we can't stand another one of these BAD BOYS......
I KNOW BREATH!!! VICKI BREATH!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

OriginalRecipe wrote:
j72 wrote:
OriginalRecipe wrote:You most definately have our prayers Vicki. I know I'm like 15-16 hours from you, but our guest house is always open for you and the girls... and I guess you can bring the dh too :-)
as if we'd have a party w/o you....now all we need is Cherie, oh, and Layla, and, Tracy, and, Katalin...and...and......:-) I need a bigger guest house LOL
LOL.. get that house ready! :)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

You got it Vic -- Breath In, Breath Out, Repeat if necessary. :lol:

Houston stations are telling everyone to have their emergency kits up to date, and review the evacuation plans for their area of town. Houston has implemented a plan to clear out the town area by area, and using all the freeways in an outbound direction on both sides to prevent some of the problems they had with Rita two years ago. They have also topped off all the gas stations and prepositioned extra gasoline supplies along the evacuation routes. People have been reminded to keep their tanks full and ready to go if necessary. No particular excitement yet, cause nobody knows where Dean is headed for a few more days.

Fort Piney Woods Chow Center is about 150 miles inland, so our problems will mostly be from falling trees and loss of electrical power and internet access. :D But I'll be keeping the tank full and the camping gear in the trunk, with an extra bag of Nutro, just in case. I have also plotted out some routes to avoid the InterStates if we have to bug out. :D

The National Hurricane Center has Dean hitting just south of the Rio Grande on Wednesday night, but it still has to cross Jamaica and Yucatan, so anything can still happen.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thanks Jerryo....keep me posted as to what they are saying if you don't mind. I really appreciate it. As you remember Katrina was going to Fla. and Rita was going to Tx SOOOO ya just don't know......I really didn't think I would PANIC but I can see that I'm going to have to do ALOT of breathing IN AND OUT :oops: :oops:
Great idea taking the back roads.....and leaving early helps ALOT. I drove up to Shreveport and cut across to Dallas, a few hrs. more driving time but I never had to SIT in traffic. Where is Trinity??? Close to Houston??? I worry so I have to know......where you are when I watch the weather...... and the radar......If it looks like it is going for us I think I will leave at night before they call for the evauation.
Don't forget cash.....I did and ended up in Dallas without any, and had a local bank......GEEZ they gave me a hard time.....thank god for credit cards.....

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Has a lot to do with that Low Presure when it moves and how fast doesn't it???? Along with how fast Dean moves??? Their telling us that if the High moves back over us it could protect us but if not.......could turn it to us and you...
OK I'm Breathing.........Sunday I'm gonna be a basket case......I'm Breathin' I'm breathin' :lol: :lol: I just can't help it..... :cry: :cry: I have friends that are still in FEMA trailers :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Vickie,

Poor girl, you never unpacked from Hurricane Katrina??
Oh, you must be on edge? The positive side is you are ready and you know exactly what to do to keep you and your family safe....that's wise!
Hang in there girlfriend, we'll lasso that ole Hurricane Dean and swing it past you!! :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Cash? What's cash? :lol:

Trinity is about twenty miles NE of Huntsville. Huntsville is about 80 miles north of Houston on I-45. If you are watching the weather maps with the Interstates on them, I-45 is the one that goes fron Houston to Dallas. It goes straight north at first, then bends west a bit at Huntsville, so we are just a little bit NE of that bend in the road. People think of Houston as being on the coast, but actually it is about 30-40 miles in from Galveston, on the north side of Galveston Bay.

If the map shows Lake Livingston, we are at the north end of the lake.

As I remember it, Katrina did hit Florida but blew right on across. They were already so chewed up by other storms there wasn't much left to damage there. Rita hit around Sabine Pass or Beaumont, I think, so it did hit Texas. Oddly enough most of the fatalities were near Dallas when a bus full of old folks evacuating from down south burned up in traffic, after the illegal alien driver let the brakes overheat.

Oh well, at least we didn't have a hurricane season last year, so we should be ready this year. I just picked up a great survival kit on a clearence sale at Home Depot for two people for three days for $25. :D (food, water packets and containers, radio with batteries, flashlight, first aid kit, plastic ponchos for shelters, some other stuff and a backpack to keep it all in) And I added the National Hurricane Center site to my favorites list.

At least the weather should keep the Pink Flamingos in check for awhile, but I'm not sure about the twirly thangs. :?
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thanks Sherill....Lasso that puppy up and send him to Mexico they look a little DRY down there to me :lol: :lol:
I don't know if you would call it packed but Katrina tought us to know where the things that are important are, and why not to keep family photos stored all over the house, and why plastic containers are great for storage, and why not keep all the family photos in plastic to go containers in one place. I just never hung my pics back up still have those in plastic to go bags...... :lol: :lol: I probably could use a good therapist come to think of it...it is a bit strange isn't it :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thats Right, Jerryo, I think I've talked to you about Lake Livingston before....one of my friends parents lives in Livingston and that is a beautiful lake by the way. Thats where I found out that Tx isn't all flat with no trees :lol: :lol:

Yes,the year of Katrina I don't think Fla. could have stood another storm. Rita hit the border of Tx and La made a mess of Cajun Country in Cameron Parish. Believe it or not Rita sent a serge up so bad here that the water was topping the levees from behind us and they started to evaucate us and ended up stopping it with sand bags.
I think it hit in the best possible place though. I was holding my breath for Galveston and Houston....could have really did some major damage there. Galveston had one that killed over 1000 before too didn't they????
Ya know I remember that bus though,,,,,that was terrible....had forgotten about it...... :cry:

Yes, I'm ready to run but I just wasn't prepared for the sick, anxious, nervous panicky feeling I have about it.....
Did I tell you I hate living here....I want to move.....and my dh won't????? I was born here but its time to say good bye as far as I'm concerned.......I don't want to be here anymore..... :cry: :cry:
Yup the Twirly Thangs will be flyin'!!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!