Road report with the Purple Tongue Devil

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Road report with the Purple Tongue Devil

Post by BigTrucker »

Hello everybody. I hope all is doing well. I have some free time at the moment to drop a quick line about our Hailey...aka "The Purple Tongue Devil" and I, on our several trips to Calgary, Alberta.

Hailey has had plenty of running around in rural area's (WI,MN,ND) enroute Alberta. The first week we left for Calgary (around July 10)...we were looking forward to the cool nights (not wanting to idle the truck for air conditioning...it burns a gallon an hour when you idle). The evening temps were around 58F. It was nice...we crossed the border at North Portal, SK (6:00am) and worked (Rt 39N) our way to the Trans Canada Highway (Rt 1). Later that evening (4:30PM) we unloaded in Calgary, AB. It was a little warm at night to where we had to Idle the truck for A/C...Hailey doesn't like the heat...either do I. The next day we headed for Medicine Hat, AB to get reloaded for Memphis, TN...more tires. When we arrived in Memphis (it was hot and humid. We had to spend 2 days there (thank God for the Idle Aire systems at the truck stop). The Idle Aire system is basically a A/C/Heat/Electrical Power/TV and computer access unit that is available at some truck stops. You pay about $1.85 an hour to use the system so you don't have to idle the truck for A/C. The Idle Aire units are mounted on an overhead structure which runs over the parking spaces...a large yellow flex tube is mounted in a template which is placed in the the passenger side window. I hope that gives everybody an idea of what it is. Anyway...after two days we finally got a reload out of Tupelo, MS...Lane furniture...enroute back to Calgary, AB. When we transitted through the upper midwest...The temperatures were hot...I decided to run through North Dakota and cross the Border at Sweet Grass, MT. It was hot the whole way...always in the 90's and 100's. The truck was never shut off. We delivered in Calgary...tried to find a worthwhile load to get back to New York....or close to. After 2 more days I got in touch with a broker in Post Falls, ID to get a load going east...this broker I worked with before. We had a 8 hour drive (414 miles) to get there going through British Columbia. Before I forget...prior to crossing into B.C. (Rt 3), theres a place in Alberta, near Crowsnest Pass...its called Franks Slide. Its about a small mining town that got burried (1903) by a land slide off the mountain...a huge land slide...its really amazing to see how far the slide covered. Rt 3 runs right through the slide. Look it up for better details...very interesting. We arrived in Coure De Lane, ID to shut it down for the evening....Thats when the Sh!t hit the fan...My truck was hit by another Semi while I was parked...It wasn't as severe as it may sound. However we had to get towed to Spokane, Wa and am currently waiting for the truck to get repaired....about $6000 to $7000 damage and 5 to 9 days down. So me and Hailey are in a hotel taking daily walks and waiting...Hailey couldn't wait to get out of our crippled rig...she was even a little embarrased to be seen in my broken up truck. Thats all for now....Time for another walk...boredom has set in...I can only watch Animal Planet (her favorite station) for so long. I prefer Dealiest Catch, Survivor Man, or my favorite, Dirtiest Jobs. Everybody Take Care...and drive safe.

John
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Holy Moley, BT! Glad you and Hailey are alright.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

What a great route you traveled. Must be fun going camping all year round and getting paid for it. :wink: Glad to hear that you and Hailey are fine.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Road report with the Purple Tongue Devil

Post by ciaobella »

BigTrucker wrote: I prefer Dealiest Catch, Survivor Man, or my favorite, Dirtiest Jobs.
Isn't "Survivor Man" the show where that guy runs around in the desert eating helpless little animals? Couldn't he just take a sammich with him? Ew.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Bummer on th accident! I felt bad, you watching Meercat Manor reruns... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... ngton.html
Last edited by Auddymay on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

WOW THAT SUCKS!!!! Glad you and the blonde are ok at least you have company and someone to make you go for walks :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Hey John, you came back the same time I did.
Sorry about your truck and that you have to watch Animal Planet all day long, at least it's better than Nick Jr. :roll:
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BigTrucker »

Thanks...I'll get a chance to look at whats going on here...its been awhile.
John
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

That totally sucks about your truck and I'm glad you and Hailey are ok!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Hey John, Good to hear from you. Glad you guys weren't injured. I am suprised you are not watching Ice road truckers, I am sure Hailey would enjoy being up north next year, although I doubt you are insane enough to do it.

David
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Okay, last year, I wrote a murder mystery novel and one of my characters was a truck driver and his constant companion was a cream Chow chow named Van Zant. He talked about driving in Alaska because Van Zant loved it so much and then later he considered becoming an ice road trucker but didn't want to risk his dog's life to do it. :D

So John and Hailey remind me of my characters. :D If you guys start solving Scooby Doo-style mysteries, you'll have to let us know.

And yes, Van Zant was the hero of the story and the one who stopped the murderer in the end- by hitting him in the backs of the knees and knocking him down! :D
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

John, you are so near me! (Seattle, WA) Tkae a look for us & PK's Chingers whilst you're out walking Haley :D
Thank you Elodie!
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Inspired writing

Post by BigTrucker »

I wish I could've given a better entertaining chain of events on my trips (up until the accident)...but I havn't been motivated. At the moment, I'm battleing with insurance companys and a repair shop that is trying to gouge because they have no parts in stock. Its kind of taken the wind out of my sails. I was suppose to be back in upstate New York early enough to attend the ATA (Ammeture Trapshooting Association) Grand American Trap Shoot in Sparta, IL. I was suppose to drive down with my father (and Hailey), and enter this event which is the largest competarive trapshoot in North America (they claim the world). So it looks like it won't happen this year...but at least the Mighty Hailey's Comet (aka The Purple Tongue Devil) is here in a airconditioned hotel room enjoying some shark show on The Discovery Channel. Its time for a walk...in this lovely industrial area...I think its time to rent a car and get out of town for a while. Take care
John
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Hey John, Good to hear from you. Glad you guys weren't injured. I am suprised you are not watching Ice road truckers, I am sure Hailey would enjoy being up north next year, although I doubt you are insane enough to do it.

David

I KNOW!!!! Heck, I keep watching every week waiting to see them on there! They'd be STARS!!!! :-)
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Repaired at last

Post by BigTrucker »

The Mighty Hailey's Comet (The Purple Tongue Devil) and I are out of the shop...The truck looks nice with its newly repaired hood and fresh paint. Good Ol'Purple Tongue Devil has enjoyed her stay at the Broadway Inn and Suites. She has become somewhat of an Ambasador of Chows to the guests and hotel staff. Hailey doesn't have a mean bone in her body.She loves attention and responds well to other dogs. Most people here are at a disbelief on how nice she is (going off the reputation of chows being territorial...the Mighty Minnie Me was more like this...I miss ya buddy). Anyway...Hailey and I looking for a load east...we have been out 3 weeks and it will be 4 before we get home. If things go as planned...we'll reload in Post Falls, ID and take the I90 east through Montana...then pick up I94 in Billings, MT and ride that all the way to St Paul, MN or Tomah, WI. Or if I get lucky...ride the I90 back to Buffalo, NY. The flowers out of Fernlea's in Delhi, Ontario may start running soon. So I think Hailey needs some quality time at the house when we get there...plus I need to mow the yard...Wish us luck. Take care and to many who are dealing with seriuos issues about chows...keep up the good work.

John
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

John glad is all taken care of. Too bad you didn't come further North in Wisconsin, I would love to meet Haley and you too

David
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Hi Big trucker - sorry to hear of your accident hope all is ok now. We have just got back from a trip to Kalispell MT. We visited the Frank Slide interperative centre on the way down - as you say it's amazing to eee how far the rubble went and how much rubble there was. We came back up through Waterton, 1st trip there and certainley not our last.

Glad your back on the road and happy travelling. Oh do you ever have any problems crossing the border with Hailey? We need to go back down to Sweetgrass next weekend I don't want to put Henry in the kennels again.
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

border crossing

Post by BigTrucker »

Inorder to cross the border (U.S. and Canada), all you need is a current vacination record. That is all. The rules say no opened bags of dog food (can food or sealed pouch is ok). Now just to let you know...I have never been checked for paperwork on Hailey or Minnie Me. Onetime I was asked at North Portal, ND if I had papers but they did not verify. Now At thay same border I had a random truck search and sure enough I forgot about an open bag of dogfood...nothing was said. So all in all its pretty relaxed when it comes to pets...just have the shot records current (and with you at time of crossing the border) and you'll be fine. Take care
P.S. here is all of the border crossings I have done with pets. Fort Erie, Ontario (Buffalo, NY)/Winsor, Ontario (Detroit, MI)/North Portal, SK (Portal, ND)/Sweet Grass, MT/Kings Gate, BC
John
Last edited by BigTrucker on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Thanks for that, i'll feel easier about taking him with us next time rather than leave him behind, he always gets the sulks and super clingy when we come back.
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

8/3/07

Post by BigTrucker »

Today The Purple Tongue Devil and I are in Great Falls, MT...just delivered. Next stop Salt Lake City, UT. Its pretty hot up here (95). I never pictured the Northern part of the country being this hot...even our friends up north (Canada) are experiencing the same thing. I thought its was hot in Buffalo, NY...at least we get the breaze off of Lake Erie. On my way to Great Falls, MT, We stopped in a parking area about 35 miles west of Missoula, MT. This seem to be a stop basically for anglers (many signs posted for the types of game fish present in the streams or rivers). After a decent walk I could tell The Purple Tongue Devil was eye balling the stream...It was very clean so I let her wade in the water. She went in up to her neck (not realizing the sudden drop in the Depth). I had her harnessed so she wouldn't float away...but I must admit she looked like she enjoyed battling the slight current. After about a half hour of water sports, we made our way back to the truck. She had a cocky attitude after shaking herself dry and wetting me down in the process. It must have made her feel better. As we neared the truck, she tends to pull this act of defiance (a common trick among chows because Minnie Me use to do the same thing)...we could be in the middle of a parking lot or a four lane freeway...if she feels its maintenance time, the whole world must stop for her (which is ussually within our final approach to the truck), she'll plop down and start the beauty grooming and drag it out as long as possible. At first I thought that she was doing it on my behalf for truck cleanliness. Now I realize its not about concerns for my truck...its a stall tactic. For those of you who have little kids, you may have witnessed similiar practise. They Basically use this passive aggressive method to get their way. Its kind of funny to see. Both Chows did the same thing. If they didn't feel it was time to get back in the truck, they start their stalling tactics as a way to convince you that the walk is not over. This tactic last all the way in til we get in the truck...Just some thoughts from he road.
Take Care
John
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

I'llbe watching forya when you com eto Fernlea Flowers i live minutes down the road.....maybe the chows can play together...i could walk theer !! LOL
thanks sweetpea
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Haileys Comet

Post by BigTrucker »

Hailey would like that...when the flowers start running, I'll put the word out...we're waiting on the call and hoping all the $$ are right for the job. Should start by mid August...but I heard Fernlea's might be downsizing their orders this year...we'll see. But if/when we do go up to Delhi...I'd love to have Hailey meet your chows. Sh really likes other dogs. Take care
John
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Purple Tongue Devil and Livestock

Post by BigTrucker »

Greetings, Today The Purple Tongue Devil and I are in Lovely Toole, Utah. We are scheduled to deliver in Salt Lake City, UT, in the morning. We had to back track (out of route) to Toole because there was no decent parking at either the Flying J or the Sapp Bros truck stops in Salt Lake City. We wanted to park at the Sapp Bros because of the Idle Aire (see 1st message in this section for description of Idle Aire). However no available spots for parking. What irritates me is most parking spots occupied were not using the Idle Aire system (I guess the drivers don't want to pay for the service but still need the parking spot). So off to the Flying J in Toole. I took the mighty Hailey for a walk...we were walking past some livestock that were grazing. This really caught Haileys attention. A couple black angus approach the fence (at first I thought they were just wanting to see if I had food (something other than hay) for them. Hailey sat there, enchanted, not making a sound. The cow stuck her big head right up to Haileys face...they were nose to nose...then the cow snorted which made The Mighty Purple Tongue Devil jump back. This was funny to watch for a couple times but we had to end our fun because Hailey started to bark and get excited and I didn't want the cows to get spooked so I dragged her out of there and we headed back to our truck. I think those cows were telling Hailey not to even think about crossing into their pasture...where Hailey thought she was going to be a big game hunter. No cows were spooked in this animal exchange of looks. They did seem interested in us...maybe they know where their going to end up...on a plate...thats all from the road today...after tomarrow, its off to Kansas City, MO. Take Care

John
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Good to hear from you John! I'm so glad you and Hailey weren't hurt! It sounds like you've been very busy. Glad Hailey and the cows had a nice meeting, that must've been very cute to see. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I wonder if we have any cow knowledgeable members here. I know nothing about cows except they stand by the roadside and watch the cars go by.
I once drove to the country and barely missed some cows walking along the soft shoulder. The fence had a hole. A woman tried to heard them back to the pasture, her husband drove to the farm house to let the farmer know that his cows got loose. I stopped to help. I broke a branch off a tree and sorta poked at the cows' behind, I saw that done in one of the many Swiss Heidi movies. More motorists stopped and told us that we're crazy, some of the critters were bulls. The other woman and I didn't realize until I noticed the horns, or do female cattle have horns too? I really haven't a clue. The farmer came running with some dogs and they took over, sorry didn't mean to compete with John's story. I just went past that farm last week, all seemed well on the farm.
:lol: Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI