Chow friendly couch

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow friendly couch

Post by Samorrathis »

Well I thought I would do a little more reseach before we take the plunge and get new livingroom furniture. My husband loves this micro fiber suede couch and loveseat. I'm thinking the pet hair in our house is going to stick right to it so I'm opting to get the cream color to match the dog hair :shock: Not that he is allowed on the furniture but I think he and the cats must party on there the minute we leave the house. Leather would be great except for your skin sticking to it ewww

So what kind of furniture do you have that works for the pet hair and do you have any insight about the suede couch as far as hair and dirt? Is it wise to get such a lite color? He just got rid of our hunter green couches and those were not a grand idea with a cream chow.
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow friendly couch

Post by SWANCIN »

Samorrathis wrote:Well I thought I would do a little more reseach before we take the plunge and get new livingroom furniture. My husband loves this micro fiber suede couch and loveseat. I'm thinking the pet hair in our house is going to stick right to it so I'm opting to get the cream color to match the dog hair :shock: Not that he is allowed on the furniture but I think he and the cats must party on there the minute we leave the house. Leather would be great except for your skin sticking to it ewww

So what kind of furniture do you have that works for the pet hair and do you have any insight about the suede couch as far as hair and dirt? Is it wise to get such a lite color? He just got rid of our hunter green couches and those were not a grand idea with a cream chow.
Well all I wanted to say is it's great to hear you're considering furniture to match the pets :lol: We got our furniture and carpeting to match our Shadie (red/white akita/gsd with a thick, white, shedding undercoat). Not that it's ANYONE here that does this, but I hate reading about people that surrender their pets just because they've changed their decor/color pallette!!!! :evil: I'm sure many others will give you great advice, I just wanted to comment on your consideration =D=
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

LOL I have cream colored couch covers, I don't know why I bother buying couches that are attractive, they are always covered. Maxwell never goes on the couches but the rest do, sometimes we people sit on the floor while the furkids get the couches.

dogdad
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

We have tan microsuede couches and never have a problem with the hair. It vacuums right off. When I vacuum I just quick use the hose on the couch as I go by. It is not a problem! I even baby sit a little girl who is 5 and has asthma, she is allergic to cats and dog fur will sometimes throw her into an attack too. She has had no problems at our house. They (her and her twin sister) are over here alot!

Hope that helps!!
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

We have a wonderful black furon mattress (we had it before Special), but it's cool it worked out that way. Although one noght I was returning from the kitchen and only one light was one, and I almost had a heart attack, I saw this "bump" in the spot I was going to sit! :lol: Cutest little bump ever. :D He was annoyed at all my fuss and left the futon...that's the danger with same color furiniture! :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Here's what I have...hope it helps in your decision!

Post by LuLu33 »

This is a great thread because I never had a chow that got onto the furniture before my Creamboy Bailey and now I might have to consider that when we buy replacement furniture. I have cream carpets all through my house (UGH!) so I chose plum colored furniture (to pop some color)for my family room and a cream print for my formal living room. The plum (dark dark purple) does not seem to show the dirt but it does show the cream hair but does vacuum right up. The cream print in my formal living room shows neither (yet)LOL.

I have tan leather seats in my car and I don't think car leather is anywhere as sturdy as home leather furniture would be but let me tell you, my two chows have wrecked havoc on my leather seats, there are indentations and scratches that definately scream doggie claws. I too think it would be kind of stick to it in the summer but let me tell you my leather seats are heated in the car and there's nothing like a warmed tush on a cold winter day! LOL LOL.

I too love the microfiber and it seems from purplekisses response that it is a good option..thats good news.

Well whatever you decide, let us know. We love to know what our royalty is sleeping/lounging on! LOL

Image Bailey on Family room Couch

Image Bailey on Living room Couch
crazy4chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crazy4chows »

We have a leather couch and loveseat in our living room. That's worked out pretty well with the dogs. The dog hair doesn't stick, and if they do end up getting some dirt or something on it, it wipes right off with the leather cleaner. :)
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Leather leather leather...It's all I am ever going to have
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Leather leather leather...It's all I am ever going to have
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I bought leather living room furniture. I love it! Bear's the only one that really sits on it and I keep a blanket on the couch where he sits the most. Occasionally I'll find a scratch somewhere, but they come right out with some leather cleaner/conditioner. I was fed up with vacuuming the furniture AND the carpet. Next purchase is Pergo flooring!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Gee a decorating thread, Even with a black Chow I'm a fanatic about white not white white but light clean looking colors, My couch has like an off white, i guess canvas type of material Cover over it, everything comes off and can be washed, Macy's, and Ethan Allen carry them but you can get the cover in a few colors, the covers cost more then the couch, but it really dosn't look like just a cover when its on. Luckely Pekoe refuses to go on any furniture, must have been the previous owner. Black Chow, Light carpets and light couch. My only expense is replacing the vacuum from over use all the time.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Thanks for all the input. Well we decided on the microsuede couch and loveseat in matching Nanuk color cream. We bought the fabric protector which means if it gets dirty in the next 7 years they will come out and clean it. I would have opted for the leather but my hubby had his heart set on something soft and comfortable. In our hot weather no one wants to stick to the couch. The one we settled on was by far the most comfortable couch we had sat on in our weeks of looking. I'll let ya know how it works for us :)
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I have tan leather.. I'm sooo petrified of ruining it I went out a bought a cover.. also tan.. not a good idea with a black chow because after a good brush and me being covered in hair I sat on the couch and well not so tan anymore...... And yes leather does scratch easily. My X had microsuede, VERY soft and comfy..
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

Yeah!! Well let us know how that works out so we know when we all go to buy new. I bought the factory scotchgaurd on my living room furniture and not on the family room furniture (Living room was light color) and I honestly thinks it makes a huge difference. Next time I'd add it to any furniture purchase for sure!
Don't forget when you get it, we want pictures of your cream on cream too!!! LOL
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I could tell you my couch stories...but it still won't help my couches!

JR is an absolute terror with any couch in my family room...he uses them to hide from thunder and fireworks and my couches don't fare well at all. But my new leather couch at least is fixable. That was one day that thoughts of JR being crated for those times entered my mind....but he is almost 10 now...any thoughts, anyone???
He also has slept on my living room couch from day one...it has a sheet on it so why bother replacing it...no one else is allowed to sit there anyhow.

Cheyenne is an absolute little lady...she has never even approached a piece of furniture...such a good girl always!

Sharon
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

I currently have a black and tan leather......no wait! it is tan just had to get through some of the fur! :lol:
I can only think of one problem with creme, any dirt will most likley show, but when we went shoping for a new couch we learned tons of awesome things about the micro fiber, the guy told us it was the most durable fabric! And as for woes about furniture, i will be purchasing everything for the new house from i-kea, its chep, looks good and if it does have a problem i wont spend the next 6 months in a deep sea of buyiers remourse! :wink:
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Microfiber is the best. I have chocolate brown couches and as you can see Riley is light colored. He doesn't climb on the couches so we really don't have a fur problem; however, the little that does get on the couches vaccuums right off :)
Claudia & Riley