CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS BULL PUCKY?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS BULL PUCKY?

Post by chris »

I was cruzing around petfinder and found this...

chow chow mix

Notes: Born: June 2001. I would refer to the blonde fella as being med. + in size--not actually large. He was adopted from us as a pup and returned in Oct. The family gave us this info on him: He is good with children and does fine with other dogs. He hasn't been around any cats yet-so we are not sure how he would do in that situation. He is both housebroke and crate trained. Great with adults--though can be a bit shy when he first meets someone. The reason he was returned--his deep voice. Seems when other children would come over to play his bark would scare them and they couldn't come over anymore. So he is looking for his 2nd chance at the "good life". He doesn't seem to be much of a barker--was quiet when he was crated in the foyer of the shelter. If you think he might be the one for your home--please call first and we will be sure he is available (2 min. away). We are sure he will not disappoint!
:evil: :evil: :evil: This makes me sososososo mad !!!!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

It takes all kinds, Chris!

Where is this fellow at right now? Zhu had a deep voice. Everyone loved hearing him speak.
ronnichow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ronnichow »

i cannot imagine not liking a deep voice!!
some people are odd
ronni and andoo
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I loved Luna's big voice, kept the burglars away. We had many breakins on our street last year. We dog owners were the only houses without a break in.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Mabel has a deeper voice than Milly so we always know which one is barking. They don't bark a lot but when the postman turns into the avenue, they 'call' to him - not a bark exactly but calling - he loves it!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

I wonder if any studies have been done re dog's barking. Two years ago, the neighbours acquired a mixed breed pup, Tess. As Tess got older her bark sounded more and more like Luna's. Many times I wasn't able to tell the difference which of the two would be barking at squirrels, cats, strangers walking by the fence. Confusing, most times it was the owner's dog. Luna died and it bothered me to hear Tess bark, sounding like Luna's. 6 months have passed since Luna died. Over the winter I noticed Tess' voice has changed. She no longer barks like Luna. Is it possible that Tess as a puppy was imitating Luna's bark? Now that Luna is no longer with us, Tess discovered her own bark. Silly, I know, just wondering,
Karin
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

[quote="Anonymous"]I wonder if any studies have been done re dog's barking.
Previous message was from me, I wasn't logged in
k
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

What a bunch of losers. I bet they get to adopt again too. Boy they need mental help. Displacing a dog because of a bark! That cannot really be the real whole reason can it? I mean that is just outrageous.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

I love Nikitas deep bark, and even the way she pants - I have never had a larger breed, so it always makes me smile when I hear her.
I guess it can be intimidating, but that is no reason to get rid of your pet. :-x
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Well at least it's better than "he/she doesn't match the new furniture." but not by much. And since when do people allow other people's kids to dictate what goes on in their house?

All my chows have had deep barks, Darkwind's was the deepest and least heard. Firesong's is pretty deep, folks think she's a boy and a lot bigger than she is... Dreamdancer is getting there, but right now he still sounds a bit high, like a puppy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Post by chris »

Steels bark is VERY low. It's hillarious... Have any of you watched that cartoon clifford.. the big red dog...
Steel sounds like Clifford and Roxi sounds like Cliffords girl poodle firend... no joke. :-)
CodasMum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CodasMum »

My 2-bits - If they don't like the bark why the heck did they get a dog in the first place??
CodasMum

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Especially a Guard dog, Typical answer, It was cute when it was a puppy, I didn't know.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sounds like my neighbour's. Oh I didn't know Tess would get soo big, right, at 8 weeks her paws were almost as big as the palm of my hands. Oh, I wanted Tess to be like the dog I had as a child. The kids won't do their share picking up the poop in the yard, (kies, 7 & 10). The dog sees it's pack in the house eating dinner, doing family things. It barks constantly when outside in the yard. I don't call animal control because I know if I do, the dog will go to a shelter. No one would want this mutt. She is not spayed, no shots, no dog license, all law in Canada.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Boogie has a really deep loud woof. He always barks at people that come to the door and it usually scares away the solicitors. :D I like his deep bark and he usually only lets out a few loud "WOOFS!" and he is done. When he was a chowling he couldn't bark. He would just blow air. When the other dogs in the neighborhood were making a racket he would be standing there blowing a really faint woof sound.

Teddie on the other hand, I swear he is part little yappy dog. He makes a high pitched "ARF!" and just keeps repeating it over and over at the same tempo. "ARF!...ARF!...ARF!...ARF!" I am sure you get the idea. :lol: About once a week he will spend the whole entire night doing that. He irritates the heck out Boogie too when he does this. Boogie can open his mouth wider than Teddie so Boogie will literally go over and shut Teddie's mouth for him by biting down on it.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special has a deep bark too, I'm always amazed!

I hate the excuses people can come up with, it's so awful.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

[quote="Boogie and Linda"]Boogie has a really deep loud woof.
<<<snip>>
Teddie on the other hand, I swear he is part little yappy dog. He makes a high pitched "ARF!" and just keeps repeating it over and over at the same tempo. "ARF!...ARF!...ARF!...ARF!" I am sure you get the idea. :lol:

I like your description of the "ARF!...ARF!...ARF!...ARF!" type of bark. That's my Mikki. After the "Arf", she switches to a howl like a hound. This is totally foreign to me for a chow to bark like that.
For voice lessons, I play Youtube to my chow, hoping she'll change the pitch of her bark,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Well, it would be nice if they could be taught to change their voice. Let me know how that works out and maybe I will play a tape for Teddie. :lol:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Try a Sarah Brightman tape, nothing wrong with a Chow learning to bark opera.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I got my JR from the pound when he was 7 months....supposedly he was dumped there because he barked too much and too loud...sure a 7 month old pup did that.

Anyhow he has the deepest, loudest bark and we just love that sound...yes he sounds like a Chow...maybe because he is one.
Cheyenne is a barker also but her pitch is a couple of octaves higher and she whines on top of it all.

One thing for sure...I feel so safe and snug with my "woofers"...so what if people cross the street when they see us all coming down...too bad they don't know what they are missing....the best of the best...2 wonderful Chows!
Sharon and the gang