TEXAS PEOPLE I need some input please!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

TEXAS PEOPLE I need some input please!

Post by Fidel »

I am planning on moving to Austin, Tx. I have applied for jobs and am scanning looking for an apartment or house to rent. I need ideas of different areas and if anyone has any job tips all is accepted! I am applying off monster.com so a lot of comtact for all. Please any assistance would help!

Also, anyone know of any breed restrictions in Austin?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

We have a flag with the Texas Star on - when you move we can fly it for you!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

haha! lol :lol:
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

What kinda job are you looking for?
Last edited by Breathless on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Forget Austin and San Antonio move to WaterWoods Texas and tell me if its ok. May not be any Jobs there but if you have to eat maybe JerryO could make you a Sandwich evey once in awhile, I think he live's close to there.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

Right now I am in the IT Tech Rep field. that area or clerical would be nice.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Microsoft is planning to open up a data center in San Antonio...
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/st ... 7709d.html
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

thank you breathless. I will check that out. Don't know about the commute though.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sorry I can't help you with the Austin area. I've been stationed in San Antonio for several years and have watched this place explode! They're building new homes and businesses as soon as they can throw them up. They're building a new veterans hospital down street from me and the new Intrepid building (for wounded veterans) is having their ribbon cutting ceremony this weekend.

Finding a Chow-friendly place to live might be tough. I would highly recommend calling your Chow a Chow-mix. My apartment complex (very dog-friendly) didn't want to let me get Bear when they found out he was a Chow. I had to do some fast talking and demanded to see the "restricted dog list" they supposedly had. I'm currently leasing a 3-br house for just a little more than my 1-br apartment. My landlords are awesome (previous Chow-people).

I read somewhere that the Microsoft place won't open a lot of jobs here locally, so I guess they're planning on bringing in their own folks for the most part.

You'll find that South Texans love their Pit Bulls and they REALLY love their Chihuahuas!!!

Good luck on your search!!!
chris

Post by chris »

UMMM, been to Dallas for a seminar.. and lets see.. ummmm... yes, I do believe I was in Austin for an install. (when I was a sales rep for virus/spam/spy wear protection)
I saw..... nothing.. I was indoors the entire time pretty much.. :-( except for that one night.. (never mind, thats another NON CHOW story) Sorry.. can't help ya.

Actualy, some friends of ours moved to a town just outside Houston.. it's awsome and their house cost less than 1/2 of what their house cost in Illinois... and the house in TX is probably 2-3x bigger. :lol: They love it out there though.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I've never lived in San Antonio, but I spent 4 great years in Austin while I was in college at UT. It was a beautiful town at the time, but it has grown and changed alot since. High tech moved in to take the place of the University and State Government as the major employers. Rents are heavily influenced by the University and its schedule. The politics are quite a bit more left-wing than the rest of Texas. Living costs are higher than many parts of the state. Texas has no State Income Tax, so that's a plus. Grendel and MRDWT both live there, so maybe they will check in with more current info.

Jeff's suggestion of WaterWood puts you in a low cost area, but the major employer is the Texas prison system. They do hire alot of people, so you can check them out at TDCJ, or search Texas Department of Criminal Justice on the net. Houses are in the $100,000 range, and the people are very friendly and laid back. My doctor drives a pick-up, but his is cleaner than most. :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"except for that one night.. (never mind, that's another NON CHOW story)"

Yeah? so, Just put Warning non-chow and spill the story, Here I will start it for you. One night I Chris snuck out the window of my hotel room even though our room was on the 6th floor, I got a cab, the cab driver happened to own two Chows and went to town, I got out of the cab and waited for this lady that was walking her Chow to pass, I walked into this really slezzy bar and Met? __________________, You go on from here.

So much for my illusion you went to Texas to attend a quilt making seminar.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

LMAOROTF.... "Jeff and his chow Pekoe"