Chows Gardening!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Chows Gardening!!

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel are thrilled!!
Gardening time has arrived again and the gardening girls are on the move.
Yesterday afternoon it was dry and mild so Fred and I went out to taackle the rear garden. Fred cut the lawns, ably assisted by Milly and Mabel - then they spotted me in my little veg. garden!
Some of you might remember the saga of the kitchen garden and the little wicket fence we had to build a couple of years ago when M & M wrecked the garden for us.
Well, since then they have not been allowed in and they dearly want to get in. I had the gate open and I was raking up leaves etc. etc. and in they sneaked, 'cos they know damned well they are not allowed. They strutted round and got more confident as they realised I was not going to tip them out. They were thrilled to bits and inspected the rhubarb which is just beginning to show. They sniffed the daffodils round the fence and had a little chew at the honeysuckle by the gate.
Eventually, I called them out and closed the gate. Mabel was so delighted she came into the house to have a sleep but Milly helped me brush out the greenhouse and get the big pots ready for tomato plants.
They are such good gardeners!

:lol: :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Joe & Robin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joe & Robin »

Judy,

Lucky you! We are desperately awaitng gardening time but it snowed, again, today on the Wisconsin - Illinois border. Mai Tai must be getting anxious too. Robin told me, when I arrived home from work, that after Mai Tai went out to do her buisness she looped her tether around our lilac (which has buds - good sign?) and then just sat there - silly girl. We envy you Fred and the girls - give them all a hug.

Joe & Robin and Mai Tai
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello, Joe and Robin,

I hope Mai Tai is not as naughty in the garden as M & M are! I don't know if you ever read about Milly and Mabel pulling all my runner beans out of the garden.

I had planted runner beans in the greenhouse and when they were about 9 inches high, I put up the canes in the veg. plot and then planted out the little plants.

Fred and I carried on doing bits and bobs then we came in to have a sandwich and cup of tea for our lunch.

We were only in about an hour, or even less. When we went back out we were horrified to find M & M lying on the lawn with not only the plants in a heap by them but the canes as well.

This trick was repeated time and time again so that summer we had hardly any vegetables at all - just one lot of runner beans I managed to guard!!

The following spring, Fred and I spent the entire Holy Week making and fixing a wicket fence round my vegetable plot, complete with a little gate. They were furious, especially Mabel. They stalked up and down the outside like caged lions - Mabel 'doofed' the gate with her paws trying to get in.

Eventually they got over their fury and accepted it but if ever I leave the gate open they spot it in an instance and sneak in.

Naughty girls and how I love them!! :wink:
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Ok guys, now I am REALLY jealous!! Up here in Edmonton, we are experience a ferocious spring storm right now. Its been snowing heavily all day and they forecast 10cm of new snow before the day is through. Dakota & I cannot wait to get out in the garden and do some yard work. Alas, however that will probably have to wait until the May long week-end which is generally when everybody here puts in their gardens and plants the flowers.....(sigh) I CANT wait!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well Roxana,
Here is something to make you even more jealous! It was so nice today that I took the opportunity to do some hand washing. I washed some hand-knit sweaters and cardigans the put up the rotary washing line to hang them on.

Milly and Mabel were thrilled. The love it! When there are big things on - i.e. dressing gowns, bath towels, sheeets and so on, they take hold of them with their gorgeous little teeth and run round with the rotary thing spinning round. They think it is real fun.

However, today, with the jumpers obviously not long enough to get hold, they really were not so pleased and Milly tried to jump up a few times to grab - hopeless - she soon found out so went off to the other side of the garden for a snooze!! :wink: I love to see them flumuxed someteimes.

Hope your weather improves soon and lets Dakota enjoy her garden.

Give her a hug.

Post by Guest »

Judy,
What a picture I have in my head right now of M&M tugging on the laundry, going round in circles with mischievious grins on their faces! That sounds so much like something Dakota would have done when she was younger. The weather here is improving; we are expecting 8 degrees celcius on Sunday which should make a huge melting mess and filthy dirty paws! Oh well, thats spring time in Canada for ya!

Take care,
Roxana & Dakota
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Judy Fox wrote:Naughty girls and how I love them!! :wink:

Judy, this one is for you! M&M resting after a day of gardening? I'll e-mail you privately the avatar version, which I can't seem to make look sharp, so you can submit to the gallery. Cross fingers this works!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I don't think the picture worked Lou - I just got a little box with a red cross on. No picture! :(
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh, but, I have not sent you the photo yet. I will send you the "avatar" version of the above photo that I posted to your private e-mail better yet, Zhu will send it to Milly & Mabel's e-mail address. I'm still working on trying to get it more crisp but still within the "avatar" guidelines. Judy, as I say to Zhu and PB, "Easy...Hold On!" :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Ok! Ok! OoooooooooK! 8)