skin problems & walking

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

teddy bear

skin problems & walking

Post by teddy bear »

I have a 1yr 4 1/2 month red coat chow doggy. About a month age he started itching himself like crazy at times. Recently he started bitting himself on his back and then he started to make himself almost bleed. His skin is sort of flaky/drandruffy! I had to clean his skin with water and hydrogen-peroxide and applied panolog cream. This seems to make the itch go away, but I need some advice. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I love my little teddy bear so much and I just want him to be comfortable. My second problem is that my teddy has latly not been wanting to leave my block anymore. He use to walk all over our neigberhood and he had no problems since he was 8 months old. He pulls back like if he is scared! :( I have to drive him to the parks now so he can get his excercise, but I would like some advice as well on this, I want teddy to start walking around our neighberhood. Dose anybody have any ideas?
Please respond!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hi,
Please select the CHOW CHOW INFO tab on this site and click on the Chow Chow Q & A. There are many posts that cover the itchy problems. You will find many problems are due to the diet.
Not too sure what could be the cause for your Chow not wanting to walk in your neighborhood anymore. Did anything happen that might have scared your Chowling? It may have been something that may not have noticed but it was a problem for your Chowling - loud noises? fireworks in July?
Hope this helps.

Karen
overworked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overworked »

hello i have a 14 year old red chow chow he had a skin problem about 3 years ago his skin was severly dry flaking like dandruff he was always biting at his back we took him to the vet and he said he had extremly dry skin it was like he was allergic to something he prescribed a shampoo called ALLERGROOM its made by VIRBAC i had to get it from the vet though as far as being scared i have never had my chow afraid to walk anywhere but he is also right at 110 pounds sounds like your dog might have encountered another dog in the neighborhood that he doesnt care for to much
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As Karen says its most likely the food he is eating, if you are feeding him Iams its deffently the food he is eating. I had the same problem with my Chow then switched to Nutro and never had any skin problems again. Buy food that doesn't have any corn or wheat fillers in it, in other words stay away from the cheap supermarket food.

I don't know if this is your Chows problem with walking but sometimes Pekoe just wants a change of scenery and doesn't want to walk in the same place so I have a verity of places I walk her but it could be some noise or smell in the neighborhood that's bothering him, I use to walk Pekoe at a certain beach all the time then the forth of July fireworks started she won't even get out of the car if I go anywhere near that beach, its been a few months but like they say a Chow never forgets anything. Try walking him on short walks around the block and reassuring him saying, Its ok, Its ok, if he still refuses don't know what to tell you.

Oh yeah I forgot this one, I always say a Chow walks you, you don't walk a Chow, He may be pulling the I will decide where we walk routine so if you are giving in to him like I usally do with Pekoe and just following where ever he wants to go then he is just going to walk where he wants and when he wants. I argue with Pekoe all the time, she wants to go her way or no way or she will just sit down and refuse to move.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is so true about a Chow walking you. With my Milly and Mabel, they love to choose their route and if we try to make them go a certain way and they don't want to they simply sit down and won't move. :roll:
When we walk up to our local shop, we can either turn into the small car park and then onto the front of the shop or continue round on the pavement and approach the shop head on.
They choose - sometimes one way - sometimes the other. Fortunately, they mostly both decide the same way. The funny thing is, which ever way we went in, we go home the other way.
I tell you, Chows know exactly what they want. :)
I don't know what to suggest - just hang in there and do as Jeff suggests and just try little walks until confidence is gained again.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)