big dog bite

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

big dog bite

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Hi,
I was visitng a couple I haven't seen for a few years. They acquired a new baby, the baby is now 3, 5 pounds, a lively shi tzu mix (sp). Carol needed some groceries, hubby didn't want to take her, we left with the little dog, Carol uses a cane, I walked the dog.

In front of the supermarket was a german sheppard, little dog started barking, acting like it was out of it's mind. The german shepp didn't react. Little shitsu got tangled up in it's leash. I picked up little shitdog, I ignored the growl, before I knew what was happening, I got a good bite in the finger. I wore leather gloves, the bite didn't draw blood. I wasn't shocked at the incident because how many times do I go through this with my chowgirl. She gets harrassed all the time by these little not good for nothins.

Now I was at the other end with this littly shitty dog, who was cute, but not trained. Carol says, oh yeah, the dog bit me a few times. No more walks with this little troublemaker, give me a chow or any mid, large breed any time. These little puddlejumpers are dangerous.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I think it's a combination of the aggressive traits most little dogs seem to have, only Bichon's seem to have been bred to be fun and mellow. Most of the rest were bred to catch some rather nasty critters and they all are tenacious and strong willed. Add to that most of them are either poorly or not trained at all, and they are problems. They are especially not socialized to other canines and this is what causes a lot of problems, could you imagine what would have happened had the German Shepard reacted to the provocation?

A snippy little dog going after other dogs or people is not cute. People need to learn that.

I also agree with you, give me my Chows!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I now learned my lesson about little vicious dogs. I am sporting a nasty bruise on my finger. None of my chows has ever bitten me or any one else. Neither did they attack other dogs or cats.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm glad you're okay. I've heard from trainers that the little dogs can be the worst because like Victory said, a lot of them don't get trained. Plus, one of me trainer friends pointed out that when the owners pick the little dogs up and carry them through the store or pick them up after they've met your dog of whwatever, it adds to their Napolean complexes because they are now elevated (not only over other dogs), but sometimes they can also believe they are equal in their rank to humans and that they outrank strangers. I'm not sure if this is true but I can certainly see how it would be true.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I don't know much about small breed dogs. I do know the majority have not been trained by their owners. I merely picked up the dog because it's owner walks with a cane, because the dog was tangled up in it's leash. The GS owners probably thought I picked up the dog to save it from the GS, not the case, the GS was cool as a cucumber, same as my chow is around little pipsqueeks. I'd imagine in a few years, when I may have to move into an apartment, I will own a much smaller dog. I will make sure it's going to be trained as well as a large breed dog.

chowfrnd88 wrote:I'm glad you're okay. I've heard from trainers that the little dogs can be the worst because like Victory said, a lot of them don't get trained. Plus, one of me trainer friends pointed out that when the owners pick the little dogs up and carry them through the store or pick them up after they've met your dog of whwatever, it adds to their Napolean complexes because they are now elevated (not only over other dogs), but sometimes they can also believe they are equal in their rank to humans and that they outrank strangers. I'm not sure if this is true but I can certainly see how it would be true.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Little dogs can be little terrors. Whenever I walk Riley and he sees a little dog (which is what everybody around here has) as soon as they see Riley the little dogs start barking.

Riley usually sits and watches unless there are those times when he starts rushing towards them and I try to just walk him somewhere else and it usually ends with Riley barking once or twice. Then I get really annoyed by these people who get mad at me because my big mean dog scared their little puppy. If their little terrors wouldn't have started barking in the first place Riley probably wouldn't have even seen them and just would have kept walking.

I apologize as I continue to rant on....

Then there are those ignorant people who think that just because they have a little dog they don't need to put them on a leash when they go out on walks (I've also had encounters with big dogs with no leash). As soon as their little dog see Riley they run towards him and the barking starts, and again I get blamed because I have the big mean dog. Its freakin LA for crying out loud. Who in their right mind would walk their dog without a leash and expect them to stay put when they see another dog. Arghh, sorry. It was a very frustrating weekend. It started with dogs with no leash and it ended with getting dirty looks at PetSmart but that's a story for another day....

Anyway, glad to hear the bite wasn't so severe, like I said little dogs can be terrors.
Claudia & Riley
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

My just recently adopted chow girl Mikki (4 yrs.old), is cool as a cucumber, no reaction to other dogs. The other dogs react plenty. I live in a no dog neighbourhood, all muslims here.

Across the main street is one of Toronto's satellite chinatowns, all dogs are puny and untrained and feisty and bite. I do like to walk through there because it's near a park. I carry an extra leash and when one of those wild little banshees approach, I pretend to be whipping them. My previous chow and my present one have been on the receiving end and gotten little nips in the heels.

The dog owners open the door so little pipsqueek can do their pee and run back in the house. Along comes this black hairy Mikki and all changes. Good luck with Riley, in a year from now, he'll follow you around like a little lamb and be a lot more calmer around other dogs.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI