2 year stray

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

carebear

2 year stray

Post by carebear »

i have found a 5 year old chow, whom has been roming the streets for 2 years here in alaska. when i found her she hadnt been brushed or properly fed, and now that i have had her for about 2 months she has become some what house trained.
my consern is, is that because she has been on the streets for so long, it is as though she doesnt know she is a dog, she has street smarts. i feel that i am too boring to her, she responds to nothing, not even the vacuum cleaner, doesnt play with toys. what can i do to help her understand that this is her home and that its ok to be a dog......? she looks at me in a confused manner when i want to chase her around the house and yard, she doesnt know what it meens to play....help.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Theres nothing wrong with your Chow, She dosn't act like a dog becouse shes not your everyday go fetch, bring me the paper, woof woof what can i do to please you today type of dog, she is a Chow no where near being a dog.
My Chow gives me 2 min. of play maybe twice a month if i'm lucky.

Here is a website that might help you understand a Chow more.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/masterp.htm

Other then playing, once you find out what a Chow is all about you will find there is no better breed then a Chow.

Also thanks for rescuing her and giving her a home as you two get to know one another you will grow to love her more and more everyday.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

As Jeff advised, there is nothing wrong with your Chow. Sounds like you have made alot of progress in just two months! If Chows show any playfulness, it doesn't last long. If I throw a ball or toy, my Chow-mix is all over it but my pure Chow looks at me like "now what are you going to do?".

You've found a friend for life. :D Kudo's to you for rescueing your Chow.

Karen
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Any updates? How is your little one doing now?

I had to giggle at your comment about the 2 minutes of play, Jeff&Peks

When Maji' showed some interest in a toy, my DH and I would excitedly call to eachother, "She's Jiggy!" We would rush in the room to enjoy her antics and play with her if she wanted us to. A few minutes later, just as suddenly as it began, she would stop the play and walk away. No amount of coaxing would get her to continue. To that, we would say with great disappointment, "It's over."

Lai-Fu, on the other hand is quite playful and we can even initiate play with her almost every day. I think she missed out on much of her puppyhood while on that horrible 6 foot chain. :(
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...