Dog attack

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Dog attack

Post by kingalls »

Sometimes this type of thing gets too close to home. My husband, Jeff, is self-employed (yard maintenance) and was at a commercial account this morning, raking up some leaves. When he heard a noise and turned around, the pitbull from next door was running straight for him in attack mode :evil: . Fortunately, Jeff was able to fend off the dog by jamming the rake repeatedly at the dog's mouth. He had yelled for help and a lady across the street called the police. Jeff has seen this dog before - chained in his yard. After talking to the police and animal control, it was found that this dog has been sited before for going after the mailman.
This dog happened to be a pitbull. But this is another case ofa irresponsible dog owner. This dog is always chained up. It's been sited before. It has behavioral issues but there hasn't been enough pressure to make the owner do something about it.
I'm so glad that Jeff was not harmed in any way - just shook up quite a bit! But what if it was a child or anyone else that wasn't able to defend himself? :cry:
We need better enforcement of making these owners responsible. There should be fines, mandatory dog obedience classes, assesment of whether or not the person should own the dog....we need to protect our rights as pet owners by making it impossible for irresponsible people to have pets.

Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Karen -

Sorry to hear about Jeff's horrible ordeal. Check the county that this happened in and find out what their policies, punishments, etc. are for this type of incident and for that particular dog's record. You can do something about it.... you need to report it to a degree that the ACC there will seize the dog and their owners severely fined and more so. Just don't let it go and stay on top of that particular dog, it's residence and it's people. It's what my county does. But you need to report it, report it and report it. Try to talk to the neighbors to sign something about the irresponsible owners and for the dog's chaining. The Humane Society can't do good follow up on an incident if it isn't reported and viewed as serious. Then again, I'm not positive and please correct me if I'm wrong, your area might have some leway (sp?) on chaining dogs because of the agri-business that exists there. But there still may be a clause about chaining in a residential area.

I'm glad that Jeff is safe.