Saying "Goodbye"

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

:lol: Thank you Sandy for your confidence in me! :o I'm still so numb I can't quite grasp myself or my life as anything other than what it's been for the past few years. :? I guess when I'm only coming here two days a week it will all start to sink in.
But yes, I have cast the "film" in my mind: Adrien Brody - male lead, Rachel Weiss - female lead, and Charlize Theron - supporting actress. :biggergrin:
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Oh Ciaobella,
Are you a Dean Koontz fan also? I love his books and he almost always includes a super-smart dog in his stories, albeit they are usually Golden Retrievers or Labs but still...I love when dogs are included as characters in books.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, wow I am so late. Congradulations! How wonderful. Being able to live out your lifes dream. I wish you the best and please post the name of your book and your full name so we can buy it up when it comes out.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, yeah try to drop us your book tour dates and locations when they come up if you can.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chris

Post by chris »

Roxana wrote:Oh Ciaobella,
Are you a Dean Koontz fan also? I love his books and he almost always includes a super-smart dog in his stories, albeit they are usually Golden Retrievers or Labs but still...I love when dogs are included as characters in books.

get out get out get out.. I LOVE DEAN KOONTZ... :-) I also love John Saul (wonder if I spelled that correctly)

Tvoya.. don't forget to tell us the name of the book.. I can't wait. :-) (did I miss the name somewhere already?)
chris

Post by chris »

redangie24 wrote:Oh, yeah try to drop us your book tour dates and locations when they come up if you can.

Yeah.. what Red said. :-)
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Congratulations and best wishes to you for the future. I would also like to read the book when it's finished.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I like John Grishom and Anne Rice, wierd combo there, huh? I really liked Adrien Brody in the movie the Pianist. I'm of polish descent, so I am interested in the Polish aspects of WWII. I liked Shindler's List, too. I can't wait until you are published, Tovya. You must be a pretty good writer to be published.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Chris,
One of my favourite Dean Koontz books of all time is the very first one I ever read; "Watchers". The one with the super-intelligent dog named Einstein. My favorite part was where Einstein could communicate with his humans by using the Scrabble game tiles and spelling out what he wanted and the one time he was hungry so he spelled out "could I please have a weenie?" I love that!! :x Its a great book, I highly recommend it if you haven't already read it.
chris

Post by chris »

Auddymay wrote:I like John Grishom and Anne Rice.
Not any wierder than me... I like those too. Especialy Anne Rice. :-) ..

I haven't read that one.. but I think I have it at home.. time to open a book. :-)

look at us.. hijacking again..

Post by Guest »

Well, I really don't know if I'm that talented a writer. Some real dreck gets published these days. I can only hope that my book is well-received.
AuddyMay - Adrien Brody is my "heart-throb" =P~. Not only is he my favourite actor but, that fact that he's Jewish works with my story. "The Pianist" is number 1 on my list of films that I watch again and again. He certainly deserved the Oscar for his work in that film.
For those who like action, mysteries and Anne Rice I recommend "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It is fantastic and long. I love good, long, detailed books that I can get lost in during the Winter months.
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Oh blast! That was me. (In case you didn't recognize my olive font.) :roll:
I just wanted to add that the reason I decided to write a book is because I wasn't finding anything I wanted to read that held my interest. So I wrote the book I would like to read.
And I'm not sure about a book tour. I won't really know what they're planning until I meet with the publisher on the 12th of October.
Last edited by Tovya on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Whacking good yarn, "Watchers"... love that one, Roxanna. Chris, you must read "Watchers" immediately! Love Dean Koontz, but get bored by his books like "Odder Thomas", when it's mostly told in first-person, and not much dialogue between characters. I think "The Face" was exceptionally good... many quirky characters, and good dialogue between them.

Don't really care for the full-on horror genre, but oddly enough, "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub is one of my favorites... well written, gallows humor, scared the beejesus out of me, and has a hallucinatory quality that I found very compelling. Crappy movie, tho.

I love any book that has an element of the supernatural, but is grounded in reality as well. That's why I know your book will do well, Tovya. :D Looking forward to it. And Adrien Brody is 8) .
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I love horror books with a little sci fi mixed in. I just read a couple of goodones. Like Berserk by Tim Lebon, and Backwoods by Edward Lee. Both were really good. Which can be hard for my genre allot are just garbage.

We still need your name.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

We should start a bookclub of us chowists- maybe call it Tovya's Book Club. :wink: Another author to read, is Jean M. Auel. She wrote The Clan of the Cave Bear and 5 others besides. It is a series. She goes into great detail, sometimes excruciatingly, but her stories are fabulous. The series isn't finished, she writes slowly, but her last novel was a whopper, like 600 pages. I had eclampsia when I was pregnant, and it developed earlier than usual, so I had alot of reading time. I knocked back 3 of her books. Tovya, I will go check the library for your recommendation. I like novels that have historically correct detailing.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Tovya,

I am getting caught up with posts since I was out of town

Mazeltov {congratulations} on your wonderful news.
I wish you all the best as a writer and am glad that you will stay in touch with all of us chow "crazies!"

Sharon
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Auddymay,
I have read all of the Clan of The Cave Bear Books. We are just waiting for the last one, aren't - I wish she would hurry up with it! I think they are brilliant.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Thank you Sharon. Kol Tuv :D
A book club would be great - it seems we have quite a few readers here. :D
I started the "Clan of the Cave Bear" series years ago. I think I stopped with the second one. As I've gotten older I've been drawn to more modern historical novels - literally my interest has moved chronologically from pre-history to early 20th century.
I also highly recommend "The Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant. Its about Renaissance era Florence.
The working title of my book is now "As Old As The Century". My "pen" name is Marlena Sojka (said "soy-ka" - my Jewish grandmother's maiden name).