Saying "Goodbye"

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Saying "Goodbye"

Post by Tovya »

Due to a fortunate happening in my life I won't be around much longer. Chubaka and Magda's Mum is going to be a published author! :D
On Friday when I got home from work there was a letter from a major publisher telling me that my manuscript had been accepted for publication.
I gave my employer two weeks notice but, they decided that I should make this week my last. I'll be going to Manhattan the second week of October to meet with an editor, so I don't have any details yet except that they want me to start working on a second manuscript as part of a contract.
Needless to say, my head is spinning. :biggergrin: This has been my dream since I was a teenager.
I very much enjoyed meeting everyone and their beautiful Chows and have learned and laughed a lot here. One of the best "side effects" of this is that my Chowdren will have their Mum with them 24/7 (except for possible book tours). And I can't think of two better writing companions and inspirations.
I'm sure I'll feel the need to lurk and possibly check in once my feet touch the earth again. :wink:

So long everyone and best wishes!
Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
chris

Post by chris »

How wonderful for you. Congrats.. :-) Why do you have to leave us though? You will be missed.. Please keep in touch.
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

How wonderful! Congratulations and more congratulations! What an exciting time for you! I wish you the best of luck and applaud you for sticking with your dream. You're an inspiration!

I hope you'll still come on and keep us updated on you and the furkids...why do you have to leave us?

Also, be sure to let us know when you get published so we can all go check your work out!!

Best wishes!
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Congrats!! that's awesome! I hope you can still find time for us during your down time!!!
Mommy to Cabo
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Wow that is so cool!!! Could you tell us a little of what the book is about?? :)
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. :D I will be around until the end of the week when I leave my job. After that I won't rule out checking in with news of my two but, I don't forsee having much spare time in the near future. For the time being I won't have Internet access at home because I now have a deadline for a new manuscript and until I get into a "writing groove" and know what to expect from myself creatively, I don't want to fall into the trap of whiling away too much time online. With my bills paid for a year ahead with my advance I don't want to become too self assured and fall into any of the bad habits to which I've heard of other writers succumbing.
As for the subject of the book....its historical fiction and involves the aftermath of WWII and the Holocaust, reincarnation and Jewish themes. My working title is "As Old As The Century" but, I'm wondering if the publisher will change it.

Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

Tovya,

I completely understand you not wanting to take your chances with the internet...it can suck you in and leave you wandering where the time went!! This is just so exciting and the book sounds fantastic! At least let us know how things are going whenever you get a moment. Again, best wishes...and congratulations again! You must be on cloud nine!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Tovya, I wish you the best. But don't be a stranger! I hope you will take the time to check in on a regular basis. None of us want you to fritter your time away at the expense of your book. Couldn't you think of us as a 10 minute coffee break?

Post by Guest »

Holy Crap!! :shock: :shock:

That is so amazing, congratulations! Hopefully, you will be able to check in with us every now & then to say Hi. Let us know when your book is released so that I can buy a copy :lol: Best of luck to you.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

^^
sigh.....that was me again :roll:
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ Way to go, Tovya! Super congratulations on a dream come true!! I'm sure you'll be quite dedicated - maybe you could periodically PM someone to post us on how you are doing - less tempting for you to get catch up on the Chowdren doings.

Good luck!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

OMG Tovya!! How totally awesome!! When it is finally done and published, you need to give us the full title. It sounds like my cup of tea - I LOVE historical fiction.

Good luck with everything.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

Congrats! That's so exciting. I'm sure your chowbabies will dance around and spin in circles with excitement for you!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Tovya, congratulations! That is sooo exciting!!! Take care of yourself, and drop in w/ a coffee-mug in your hand when you feel the need to get away from too much concentration on "work". Best of luck and enjoy the time home with your babies, too.

Love, LEO's mum
PS: I got Arame & Hijiki for the baby & us, too. :D
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

OMG!!! Congratulations Tovya!!!! That is so amazing!!! Yes, please let us know what the title is when you get it all sorted, I love books like that also. When you're on the bestseller list remember all of us! :lol: :lol:

As someone who works from home often... I know what you mean! There have been days where I have spent 3 hours here instead of analyzing data and writing up manuscripts! :lol: :lol:

I am sure that you'll be great! Your dedication got you this far already! CONGRATULATIONS!! We will miss you and your cutie pies so please do try to keep in touch when you can. Hey...maybe they can put a pic of you and Chuy and Magda on the book jacket! :wink:
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

What great news \:D/ !! You have to let us know what the title of your book is when it comes out. I'll want to read it. This is so exciting!! Maybe one day we will be waiting in line for a book signing :D . Best of luck to you, and thank you for all the info you have given me on Magda and her Chow parents.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

What lovely news - I want to read the book too so please give us details when you have them. :D =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Oh my! :cry: Thank you all once again for your well wishes. I'm not counting on a bestseller - enough sales to cover my advance would be fine with me right now! :wink: I also forgot to mention that there is a pair of Chows in my book - companions of the main character. :D
But I have some more good news. This morning I was offered a very part time position in a different department here so I can retain my health insurance (I was lying awake the past few nights dreading how I would be able to afford to pay for that myself) and my wonderful discount on all of my pet and garden supplies!!! :D So I'll be able to check in two days a week. \:D/ I was going to miss everyone's stories and photos of their Chow babies.
Leo's Mum - are you into macrobiotics at all? You have a good knowledge of the macrobiotic foods and cooking styles.

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Brilliant!!! :lol: =D= \:D/ [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chris

Post by chris »

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO... your gonna stay.. your gonna stay.. \:D/
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

That's even better! A part time position to retain your benefits and the opportunity to pursue your dream. AND your gonna have Chows in your novel!! I'm buying it forsure now...whoohoo!!
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Yes, I'm thinking myself very lucky for this. Unbeknownst to me I had apparently gained the respect of a few of the "higher ups", one of whom completely supports my creative endeavors. :shock: Oh well, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. :wink:

chris

Post by chris »

What is the name of the book? (sorry if you mentioned it and I didnt' see it) cuz I wanna buy it too.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Double Congratulations!! You must have been very precious to them to have offered the deal!! Good on them, good on you!! And the best bit for us is that you won't be deserting us :x

Re-microbiotics: I have flipped thru several cookbooks. I like cooking, altho I can't bake, I also enjoy trying out new things if it's not too daunting. I've got a pressure cooker 3yrs ago, but I haven't even unpacked it yet... I tend to take the path of least resistance..... Like I got the easy-add 10 grains where you just add the sache into white rice & cook. :oops: Asian cookery, especially Japanese, is dear to me. It's amazing how little fat is involved and how big the veggie portion is compared to meat. Hijiki & Arame, I had stayed away till now, is because you have to rinse it 2-3 times to make sure you have the grits out. But you made me actually want to go out and get them, thank you very much for getting me off my back side :p
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

What fantastic news! \:D/ Finally, an author who recognises what an interesting character a chow would be. I've often said, Dean Koonz won't write another worthwhile book until he's adopted by a chow. :lol:

Please tell us when your book comes out, so we can buy multiple copies and push you to the top of the NYTimes bestseller list... as if you'll need the help.

Have you mentally cast the movie they'll make of your book yet? Can't help it, I always do that when I'm reading....
Sandy
Owned by Sophie