Sleeping inside

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Duke's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sleeping inside

Post by Duke's Mom »

Hey guys, I now have an almost one year old chow named Duke. When he was younger he stayed in the house all day and all night, however he's getting older so we let him out way more. We normally keep him inside during the day, but at night we let him sleep outside. Although he has a huge dog house that he goes in to sleep outside, the weather in Arkansas is totally unpredictable. At night it often storms, but when I try to let him in he doesn't want to come in. He's so used to sleeping outside, but if it's raining or storming, I want him inside. He refuses to sleep in the house, or even lay down in the house at night. so, how can i train him to sleep in the house? Please help !

- Duke's Mom :?
-KB, Duke's Mom :wink:
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sleeping inside

Post by furball »

LOL our problem was the exact opposite, how to get him to sleep outside! Actually dogs naturally wanna be close to people as much as possible, so it’s weird that your dog prefers to be outside by himself in the dark.

Does he have a favorite bed in his kennel? Put that inside the house, it might help. Otherwise I guess you just have to lock the door and get him used to sleeping inside?
Max, Ritz, Shelly & Hunter
Cafe_Latte2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte2.0 »

Ours will sleep where ever.
if in the house typically at night (since recent reports of mtn lions roaming the hood at night), they have designates sleep areas.
But free to wonder thru-out the house.
BTW, an Ikeas baby mattress is perfect. Its not foam and less likely to breakdown overtime.
One like to be the protector or guardian, and will take up a vantage point where he can monitor the entire house day or night when inside.
The other will hide in the shadow and ambush while guarding.

Sometime they like to also be outside at night, especially in the winter when the cold and crisp.
And if I make a campfire in our backyard firepit, they all huddle around.

When its cold, wet and dank - they love the indoors, raked out sleeping on the Ikea baby beds, and snoring or dreaming of dryer days and running.

Other places, they love being in the doggy-mobile, moving or not. Which happens to be my car.
When roadtripping, they find there confy spot and fall right asleep, and some time it difficult to get them out of the car, b/c they like it so much.

But in general, I really think it has to do with who the dog bonds with and how they are raised.
I've had some that only want to sleep outside and others that want to sleep inside, and now sleep where ever they are at.
4dluvofchows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 4dluvofchows »

Try offering him a treat. Once he comes in for his treat just close the door and keep him indoors.
laychris
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laychris »

Mine will never agree to sleep outside, haha
flora12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flora12 »

Hi, I am flora mother's of jim, you can make his bedding more comfortable only once you push him to sleep there than he can manage to come up inside, like you can add mattress protector and topper and what so ever you can do to make his bedding comfortable.