My 9 week Puppy Luna ( Mixed ? )

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

MYPUPLUNA
Rank 0
Rank 0

My 9 week Puppy Luna ( Mixed ? )

Post by MYPUPLUNA »

Hello Everyone I just got a 9 week puppy and Im wondering if it looks like a full breed chow ? or if it is a chow ? ( Someone gave her to me ) I would like to know what everyone thinks, idk nothing about chows so anything would help. Ive looked online of pictures of chows and i cant find any that look like this dog ( I Cut her Body Hair A little I live in California and its about to get really hot. (If you're wondering why her body hair is short) Here are some pictures of her ... Thank You
Attachments
tumblr_oqe1nyxdc41qeocfjo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_oqe1nyxdc41qeocfjo2_1280.jpg (204.83 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
luna.jpg
luna.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
tumblr_oqe1nyxdc41qeocfjo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_oqe1nyxdc41qeocfjo1_1280.jpg (206.41 KiB) Viewed 6471 times
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My 9 week Puppy Luna ( Mixed ? )

Post by JammyJoy »

The Chow Chow is a sturdily built dog, square in profile, with a broad skull and small, triangular, erect ears with rounded tips. The breed is known for a very dense double coat that is either smooth or rough. The fur is particularly thick in the neck area, giving it a distinctive ruff or mane appearance. The coat may be red, black, blue, cinnamon/fawn, or cream. Not all these color varieties are recognized as valid in all countries. Individuals with patchy or multicolored coats are considered to be outside the breed standard. Chow Chow eyes are typically deep set and almond shaped. The breed is distinguished by its unusual blue-black/purple tongue and very straight hind legs, resulting in a rather stilted gait. The bluish color extends to the Chow Chow's lips; this is the only dog breed with this distinctive bluish color in its lips and oral cavity (other dogs have black or a piebald pattern skin in their mouths). One other distinctive feature is the curly tail. It has thick hair and lies curled on its back. The nose should be black, but blue-coated Chow Chow can have a solid blue or slate-colored nose.
MYPUPLUNA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MYPUPLUNA »

JammyJoy wrote:The Chow Chow is a sturdily built dog, square in profile, with a broad skull and small, triangular, erect ears with rounded tips. The breed is known for a very dense double coat that is either smooth or rough. The fur is particularly thick in the neck area, giving it a distinctive ruff or mane appearance. The coat may be red, black, blue, cinnamon/fawn, or cream. Not all these color varieties are recognized as valid in all countries. Individuals with patchy or multicolored coats are considered to be outside the breed standard. Chow Chow eyes are typically deep set and almond shaped. The breed is distinguished by its unusual blue-black/purple tongue and very straight hind legs, resulting in a rather stilted gait. The bluish color extends to the Chow Chow's lips; this is the only dog breed with this distinctive bluish color in its lips and oral cavity (other dogs have black or a piebald pattern skin in their mouths). One other distinctive feature is the curly tail. It has thick hair and lies curled on its back. The nose should be black, but blue-coated Chow Chow can have a solid blue or slate-colored nose.
everything checks out but the ( erect ears ) is that not normal ?
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm not sure if that is a full chow or not. I will say that you are not suppose to clip a chow's hair. Double coated breeds will shed their under coat as appropriate and their coats insulate them from hot and cold temps.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
mykidsandsal@aol.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mykidsandsal@aol.com »

Not exactly sure but she is beautiful anyways. Thank god you didn't buy her unlike I did and received two sick cho chows from the same breeder, CHEROB CHOWS, LINDA FERNANDEZ. Chow chows have always been my favorite breed of dogs. In my life time I have had 4. Three words of advice, " don't shave them." Their hair and fun loving temperament is what defines them. Luna looks like a chow but probably is not a pure breed.